Vonage / To cancel Vonage services are being just as difficult to do as AOL's!

Chronology:

August 29th number was ported from ATT to Vonange to activate their service. It only took them 2 days to port the number. However, After 1 week ATT dropped DSL service. When that was done, I had no dial tune, no landline, could not make outgoing calls, and incoming calls were getting redirected to Vonage service and message were being left on my computer.

I contacted ATT and was told my DSL line was dropped. So, without DSL I couldn't use Vonage, and, in addition, I no longer had security service for my home because I had no dial tone, no landline, which my security system uses. So, from September 8 until October 4th, I could not make phone calls from my home number.

September 11th: I contacted Vonage to cancel my account and port my number back to ATT. I was told that if I cancelled my account before the phone number was ported back, then I'd have no phone number at all. In the meantime, I am without a live telephone line.

October 2: Phone number finally ported back to ATT and I can now make calls from my home phone, through ATT service. Vonage has charged a monthly service fee and my account with them still shows "Active". October 13: Contacted Vongage to cancel my account. Again was denied this request. Was told that if I cancelled now I would pay $80.00 in addition to $39.95. Was told to call back after October 29th to avoid being charged the $80.00. I asked if they wanted their equipment returned because it was only used for a week, and was told "No, we do not want the equipment back".

On this date I said "Okay, I will call back for the 3rd time at the end of this month to try and cancel the account."

I plan on contacting them again on October 30th to try and cancel my account again, but this time I'm going to record my conversation with them.

To cancel Vonage services are being just as difficult to do as AOL's!

Company details:

Vonage, 23 Main Street, Holmdel, NJ 07733
www. vonage.com

Comments

• Va
      27th of Dec, 2006

I just cancelled my Vonage service after a year. Never had problems with the service and the customer service was okay whenever I had to call them.

I can't say I am happy with their pricing practices. Firstly, there are many alternatives if you want a lower price. I transferred my number out to Sunrocket. The transfer took 3 weeks and was completed on the day after the estimated completion date that was given to me in the beginning. NOTE:- Vonage doesn't automatically cancel your account when you transfer the number out. You have to call them specifically and cancel the account. They charge $39 when you cancel the account within a year which I think is ridiculous. This is the only company that charges you when you cancel the account. When you call to cancel the account, they try to offer to match the competitor's price. "Hey, I am already transferred it out, dude. Fix your pricing if you think customers are leaving because of high price".

• Va
      2nd of Jan, 2007

Vonage.com, has proved to many of us that you can fool all the public all the time, and still get away. Hello America, wake up and teach your businesses to respect the public. Unless you prosecute these people for crimes this trend will become a norm- law of the lawless. Vonage.com is prime example, people are complaining but nobody hears. not even the ambulance chasers.

• Cr
      19th of Jan, 2008

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Telemarketer Block stops telemarketers even before your phone rings.
    * Anonymous Call Block stops all unidentified calls. (I LOVE this feature!)
    * Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

--quote-end--

voicepulse can also email voicemail.

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

save even more money!!

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

• La
      14th of May, 2009

i had service with vonage and i didnt like it so i cancel it and they told me as soon as they revied the package back that they would read fund my money back into my account. i would like my money back