Vonage Broadband Phone Service - Edison, NJ / False and very misleading advertising

Vonage
2147 Rte. 27
Edison, NJ US 08817

I signed up for the $24.99 plan - Unlimited local and long distance calls anywhere in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and select European countries.

They recently changed my account over my objections to a $99.99 plan because they are trying to tell me that I am a call center.

It is our home number and I am faxing members of Congress about issues that are important to me. This is my right as a concerned American citizen. The reason I switched to their plan was the unlimited long distance features. You can check any number on the bill and 99% of them will be either the Washington office or district office of a US or Texas Congress person.

I consider the advertising to be false and very misleading.

Thanks for your time,

Robert Gilliland

Va

Comments

• Cr
      19th of Jan, 2008

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Telemarketer Block stops telemarketers even before your phone rings.
    * Anonymous Call Block stops all unidentified calls. (I LOVE this feature!)
    * Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

--quote-end--

voicepulse can also email voicemail.

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

save even more money!!

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

• Ca
      1st of Nov, 2008

I hate the ads. Vonage doesn't cost $24.99 per month because you have to consider the cost of the high speed internet service that you need for it to work. It's very unstable. When we had Vonage, we often didn't have any phone service, incoming or outgoing. Also, 911 doesn't work on Vonage, and neigher will your connection to your cable or satellite TV provider.. When you call tech support, you wait a LONG time before finally getting through, meanwhile listening to a tape telling you to unplug everything and plug it back in again. Tech support is usually someone who doesn't speak English, reading from a script that blames everything from your ISP to your household wiring for your poor or nonexistent phone service. You are advised to unplug everything again, you have to get a magnifying glass to read the numbers on the router and modem. You have to type in numbers on your computer and change setttings, which may or may not work. The voice quality is extremely poor. At one end the settings give you very low volume. When you change the setting to get more volume, you get noise on the line, and your callers will often hear so much static in the background that they won't understand you. You will often have one-way communication. You will hear your caller, but the caller won't hear you--or vice versa. Also, when you call tech support, you have to use your expensive cell phone, since your Vonage phone is not working. My cell phone bills soared when I had Vonage because I had to make and receive all calls via cell phone while Vonage was down. I spent an entire night on the phone with tech support before he finally admitted that a Vonage server was down, but he didn't know when it might be up again. It took repeated calls to Vonage When I tried to end my service with Vonage, they kept refusing to release me from my prepaid service. I finally had to get the Better Business Bureau to get them to release my phone number and refund the money for the unused portion of the bill. At the beginning of the Vonage ad, the guy says, 'Don't they miss phone service?" Yes, they do. The land line is totally reliable, and factoring in high speed internet service, it comes out cheaper than Vonage.