Virgin Media / Damage to property on installation!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Engineer damaged surrounding window upon installation. Have been trying since 6th September 2007, to rectify this. Have made 3 verbal complaints, plus 2 written letters. This also involved the installation and the equipment not working since this date. I have been billed for something that could not be used. I no longer want this service and have been trying for some time to get someone to visit.

I am 63 years old and now my name has gone to Debt Recovery Agency, even though I was informed that my bills would be put on hold until the equipment was rectified.

Comments

• La
      6th of Feb, 2009

I have had an appalling experience with Virgin Media.

* During the installation by the sub-contractor team that arrived in the late afternoon/early evening on 24 October 2008 it became job was not being completed to a professional standard. The cabling to the telephone and computer in the ground floor dining room was being led through the hall and around the doorway (in such a way to prevent us being able to close the dining room door), this is now evidently a safety risk as well as being unsightly. Despite our requests to correct the work, the contractors informed us “that there is no alternative” to the way ithe cabling was being completed, this also included running cable over the fireplace in the lounge The contractors then informed us that they had connected us to the TV and broadband services and that this would come on in 15 minutes and they left the house. We were not aware that they were leaving us at that point, as they did not confirm the job was fininshed or gave us anything to sign on completion.
    * In fact, the only service that worked properly was the phone line, our son in law who came round to our house afterwards was appaled at the standard of work and pointed out how they could have easily gone round the outside of the house instead of through our halls doorways and over the fireplace. We then noticed that the contractors had obviously come in to the property without washing as there were dirty hand prints on the walls which had been painted with unwashable paint. We also noticed that some cash had gome missing (approx £70) from my wallett. This has since been the subject of a police complaint and though they reported back to me was insufficient evidence to arrest the men, no investigation was conducted internally as promised-
    * I then phoned their office to complain and to request that the work be inspected and corrected. I was assured ther would be no charge for the TV and broadband services in the meantime. I had been assured that the area manager would come round the mext Saturday but he failed to show up. After various conversations I managed to speak to someone in their complaints team who did try to get through to his manager but had to admit he found it difficult to contact him despite leaving messages for him. A date was agreed in November for a visit, for which I had to take a leave day from work but again no one turned up. A further date was arranged but instead of the manager someone known as "Super Mick" came to say he was being called in to re-connect us and re-do the cabling. I told him I had been expecting his manager as I felt that compensation was owing to us for both the cost of re-painting the stained walls and the time lost to me from my leave and the general disturbance and stress caused. He replied he had no authority to agree compensation which he agreed was owing and he further agreed the cabling was a sloppy job. He would report back to his manager. In the meantime, I had raised another complaint through another complaint because I had not heard from this manager. To be fair, she was obviously concerned at the whole situation and said she would contact his manager.
    * Eventually, On 19 December the deputy area manager came to our house I showed him the photographs we had taken in relation to the dirty walls, which had now been painted and he saw for himself and agreed that the cabling work was done in a completely unprofessional way and incorrectly routed. He said he would report back to the area confirming the situation and that she would come back to me with a fair offer. This, however did not happen and the deputy manager went on leave soon afterwards.
    * I then raised another complaint, on his return from Christmas leave I phoned him again and he assured me the area manager would come back to me, but again she did not. I then spoke to anoter complaint mnager who confirmed she had spoken to the area manager who now requested I write a letter and enclose photographs, and reciept for the painting work. Saying the deputy was wrong to indicate the matter could be resolved without me posting evidence as he had seen it. He also stated that any charges for the TV and broadband services would not be payable until my outstanding dispute in relation to the installation was resolved. I have now had a bill for these services. I am currently arguing witgh Virgin media regarding this, but intend to take such action as may be required through the small claims court.

This complany is the worst organisation that I have ever dealt with in my life, there is no co-ordination between their teams or within their teams. They seem to have untrained installers who are sub-contractors working for a firm called Kellys.

Stay clear and never get involved with them.