[Resolved] Viking River CruisesAir travel misunderstanding

My wife and I just returned from the Viking Paris and the Heart of Normandy cruise on the Viking Kadlin May 18-25, and want to comment on the air travel. Booking number 4672217. We booked the trip a year ago with four other family members on the same day from the same agent. We had adjoining rooms on board.

We did not realize until just before we left that we were on three different planes, leaving at different times, with different routes, on the same day. One couple had a direct flight to Paris, the other two went through Frankfurt with different layovers and arriving in Paris at different times. The worst was that on the way home our flight from Paris to Philadelphia had a layover at Dulles in Washington, and the connecting flight was cancelled. So we ended up renting a car and driving from Washington to Philadelphia after flying from Paris. That is not Viking's fault, but we wish we had known when we booked that we could not count on direct flights to Paris. I am guessing that we could have specified direct flights and paid more, and I realize that we could have also paid more to coordinate the flights.

Other than that the cruise was great. Charles de Gaul airport is a nightmare - standing in line for three hours to first check in, then passport control, and finally security. We came to the airport over three hours ahead and got on the plane ten minutes before it left. Paris and all its attractions are mobbed with huge crowds. Giverny and Versailles are intolerable. But the boat and the crew, and the meals and the side trips were fun. I would do it again but would adjust my travel plans.

• Resolution statement

• Viking River Cruises Customer Care's Response, Jun 05, 2018

Dear Mr. Simons,

Thank you for contacting us. We regret to hear that your disappointments with the return flights may have taken away from your overall cruise experience. Hopefully, the rest of the cruise, including the service, ship, itinerary and excursions met your expectations. We have arranged for a member of our Customer Service Department to contact you to discuss your concerns in detail. We look forward to connecting and wish you a lovely day.

Best,
    Viking Cruises

Je
Jun 02, 2018

Comments

• Pe
      Aug 30, 2018

The same thing (of different air flights for the same party booked at the same time with each cabin has its booking number). I found that out early enough and was able to rebook, but I am being asked to pay $50 each per person so I can make changes to the air flight bookings. The explanation from the agent is I am already getting a discount for the air flights, so paying extra to synchronize the flights should not be a burden to me. Really lame excuse.