Verizon Wireless / stranger can change my contract?

1 TX, United States Review updated:

My son gave his girlfriend a phone on his Verizon family plan to cut communication costs. She is in Nebraska, he is in Houston or on the east coast or where ever his job takes him. This phone plan is in my name in Texas and I’m the one who has to make plan changes with my password, pin, presence or whatever. While my son was in North Carolina, this woman went to a mall, traded in the phone and changed the plan to a 2-year plan. This was in November. We didn’t find out till March when my son tried to cancel her phone because she has cost him/me a fortune in downloads. March was the original one-year contract date. Everyone at Verizon that we have talked to says there is nothing they can do about this fraud except pay them to cancel her phone. Her name is nowhere on the contract or in the records so why was she allowed to do this? And what can I do about it? I’ve been a Verizon Wireless customer since they were GTE and analog. Where’s the loyalty? Does this mean a complete stranger can go into any Verizon store and change anyone’s contract?

Ga

Comments

2nd of Nov, 2008

I don't see how this is legal. I know people that work in the industry and all have told me that the person who holds the account is the ONLY one who can make changes. If what you said is true then, legally you should not have to pay then to cancel that phone.

A few years ago I was with AT&T. I purchased a real expensive phone for $50. I of course had to do a 2 year contract. Well before the 2 years was up I had canceled my account. AT&T charged me an early termination fee. I called them thinking that I was past the 2 years but found out I wasn't. They did tell me though that they could not find my signature on the contract. It was thought that the person that signed me up did something wrong and lost my paperwork. They told me that since my signature could not be found that the contract was void, they returned my money, I kept the phone, and I canceled my account.

Long story short, If they did something wrong, they can't hold you accountable for it.

• Sc
      20th of Nov, 2008

Other people can be added to the account, referred to as a "Full access contact" to make changes, sign contracts, add new lines, etc. If a persons name appears on the account and they can identify a password, that's all we need and move along

• Co
      30th of Nov, 2008

If you dispute independently you get nowhere...class action suits need to be filed, but what do you get in the end? The lawyers at least get millions.

• Yo
      27th of May, 2010

VZW Employee Scott apparently does not know how to read. "Her name is nowhere on the contract or in the records so why was she allowed to do this? And what can I do about it? I’ve been a Verizon Wireless customer since they were GTE and analog. Where’s the loyalty? Does this mean a complete stranger can go into any Verizon store and change anyone’s contract?" And your answer is no, they should not be able to change anything, but far too often, they do not verify. I have called and given information about my account, and they would not help me because of my name, Darcey. They ended up suspending my phone because a suspicious male called in and was trying to commit fraud, and after spending over an hour at the store, they finally had it turned it back on, and stated that it was not Verizon's mistake. 6 months later, I had went into a store and purchased a car charger, and why they ask for your number is unknown to me, but the following month, I had a charge on my account for an additional line. No one knew how it happened, or would do anything about it. I ended up having to call the police, filing a report, and when the receipt was pulled up, there was no signature, and it was ordered over the phone. Way to go Verizon. The best was that it was shipped 4 states away in Ohio. No where near my home address. It took over 6 hours on the phone with Verizon to have them credit the charges and not to charge the ETF. Really? Are they that dumb to think that I would randomly send a phone to an unknown person? Thanks!