Verizon Fios Internet / slow and sucks

1 Southampton, PA, United States Review updated:

Ok, I have had verizon fios for a while now. not one complaint. until a few months ago that is. I hate fios. everytime I open a browser it says "cannot find page" or "error" and I just want to catch up with old friends or watch youtube or god forbid *gasp* I have homework. I have to click refresh 1042823 times before it actually works. I hate hate hate verizon fios. so all those fios people out there, you fail.

Comments

• Ca
      16th of Jan, 2009

Well, I would have to agree with you. I already had Optimum Online Internet and wanted to switch to Verizon FiOS because of all their "hype" about it being 10x faster than cable. I even asked 2 different sales reps BEFORE I agreed to have it installed and asked them to clarify if their speeds of 10/2 were 10 MegaBYTES or 10 MegaBITS (big difference) and both stated 10 MegaBYTES per second. Hmm, After having everything installed and then once again asking the technician in person - same question - same answer - 10 MegaBYTES per second.

Gee, what do you ya know? NOOOOOOOOOO!!! It's 10 MegaBITS per second!! And after testing on speakeasy.net I was getting 1.3 MegaBytes per second compared to my cable which is between 1.8MBytes up to 2 megabytes!

I kept it for 2 weeks and then during that time I would have the same problem as above complaint - "cannot find page" - "check with your ISP page unable to load" - etc...etc... and this was happening on a regular basis for the 2 weeks. Looks like I made a mistake...sooo called up Verizon and cancelled.

#1 FALSE ADVERTISING
    #2 POOR CONNECTIONS/SPEED
    #3 They use YOUR existing coaxial cable to connect to phone/internet/tv...?? and this is NEW technology??

Alot of hype for NOTHING!

• De
      18th of Jan, 2010

I am not impressed, FIOS is not faster then the Verizon Hi Speed Internet I had, I dont care what the so-called Speed Test Shows. Takes Internet web page (i.e. CNN) over 15 secs to load

• Sh
      23rd of May, 2010

Totally agree - verizon fios is a SCAM. "Actual connection speeds may vary" is placed inconspicuously at the bottom of every page they have their speeds on. Verizon is a corporate giant that does not give a crap about their customers. They are the only game in town and they know it so they screw you with a giant smile on their face. I have the "fastest" plan they offer and I rarely see DL speeds over 1.2 MB/sec. They advertise 15MB/sec on their SLOWEST PLAN!!!

Just try and call someone in support - you'll get a 7 dollar/hr college kid who will read you a script and remind you that "actual connection speeds may vary"

But, they'll keep getting bigger. They'll keep paying their lawyers to come up with ever more subtle ways to legally mislead the public and WE WILL KEEP BUYING!

Verizon customer? Good luck!

• Dk
      4th of Aug, 2010

I've had Verizon now for 6 months, what an experience ... they ruined my HD TV during the install by hooking up the sound to one of the three color inputs. The tech asked me to help him adjust the picture tint because it was GREEN! After I fixed the problem for him, the picture was permanently screwed. There is a black space at the top, the color is off and there are areas on the screen that remain orange all the time. We were told that Verizon would pay to fix or replace the TV at the time but to this day, no results. Now my wifes new lap top is in such bad shape after being infected with viruses that it will no longer boot up. My desk top is so infected that it took three tries and finally cut and paste to get this site to come up without being redirected to a never heard of sales site. I spent four hours on the phone with someone in India from McAfee fixing the problem and sacrificing applications I've had for years only to have it return the next day and begin deleting McAfee. A virus that destroys the virus protection from Verizon? sounds impossible ... but it did it. I had to reload windows from disc just to get the computor to boot.
    I'm having the same issues as others, with it not connecting to chosen sites, failing to connect to the internet and just being incredibly SLOW! We have a two year contract after switching from Comcast and now have to figure out how to get out of the deal without a penalty.
    I HATE VERIZON! And this is a huge problem now that they have everything with them ... both cells, home phone, internet and HD television with DVR. (there is another problem ... TV)
    The television is sporatic, the sound drops out when the action gets fast and their on demand feature is so slow, you think you failed to hit the button so you hit it again ... and again ... and again, only to find out that everytime you hit the button, it registered. It was just so slow, that it took 30 seconds to work ... now you have to go back ... and back ... and back!
    The phone system installed in the garage on the wall calls my cell phone over and over 16 times once a month. I've reported this and was told that it's not possible. It does it even when disconnected from my home phones! The calls are logged by the website and appear on the bills, but Verizon still says that it's not possible.
    And here is the final problem with Verizon ... They treat me like I'm STUPID! I'm not stupid, I'm a college grad with backgrounds in electronics, mechanical engineering and an automotive master technician. I can list more qualifications that prove I'm no dummy, but you get the idea.
    Bottom line ... I want out of my contract ... the money saved by going to Verizon has been MORE than spent replacing hardware and [censor] damaged by their crappy system. I want to go back to Comcast ... at least they never destroyed anything. If you haven't switched from your current service yet ... do not go with Verizon! They SUCK!

• Un
      24th of Jan, 2011

I agree about Verizon Fios Advertising. I spent almost double to get the 25 MB service. I just found out that the actual Megabytes per second speed is about half that. I've tested it on Speakeasy, McAfee, and CNET Bandwidth Meter, all with the same results. How Verizon can get away with this misleading advertising is amazing. It seems that the federal or state government ought to regulate them and fine them.

• Ke
      30th of Sep, 2011

verizon online gaming speeds are garbage!!!