Verizon / scam charges

I just received my phone bill and realized a $181.48 charge for a phone call to Varna, Bulgaria. I tried various online sites trying to get the rate from Verizon but could not get the information. I could not find it in your phone book either. I check various sites and got quotes that ranged between $.029 and $.259 a minute Mobile being more expensive I do not believe I should have to pay this outrageous rate.

I used Verizon realizing it would be more expensive but it was an emergency. I did not have time to push all sorts of buttons to try and talk to an operator. Never did I think I would be charged over $5.00 a minute. I still do not know how much a minute I was charged or how long the call was as all the bill listed was Voice Additional Charges. Upon receiving the bill, I called the billing department. After pushing many button and about ten minutes later I spoke to the International Billing Department. I Received a $5.00 refund for the first call I made and left a message. My bill was $216.13 for the call with a Freed Value deduction of $34.49 making the total $181.49.

I think it is out outrageous that Verizon charges these rates and the customer does not have easy access to the costs. It is just a way for Verizon to promote international service at an extra charge per month. What about the occasional international caller? I think your rates should be listed on line and in the phone book. I believe Verizon is targeting the immigrant population who do not know the language and sales pitch and take your service instead of phone cards. Why can"t Verizon charge reasonable rates.

After making the call, I received several calls from telemarketer asking if I wanted to buy additional service for international calls. How dare you invade my privacy! It is not anyone's business to know what international calls I make; even worse to pass that information on to telemarketers. Not only are you invading my privacy but annoying me with telemarketer phone calls. To make matters worse after refusing the telemarketer, I keep getting calls. Does no mean anything. If I wanted international service, I would call and inquire about it. I am sure if I want to buy a product your company would have no problems providing me with the information

N  28th of Jun, 2008 by
How do companies I never heard of be able to make withdrawals from my checking account? The bank (Wachovia) is totally useless in helping customers resolve these problems. What does Wachovia do? If a company can take my order on-line, why has it become impossible to cancel withdrawals on the net or on the phone. This is only logical if your goal is to justify ripping-off consumers and giving customers another hoop to deal with. There is no easy way of dealing with people who hold the key to my bank account, without my permission. I guess if they make it a complicated enough, some people will give-up trying to close accounts. They are then working for the company. They are paying the rip-off artists. When one finally does attempt to complete the chore only to find even more funds have been taken. Companies have themselves covered because you did not follow directions. They all have told me they will not refund any money to me. I ask 'why not'. I could not get away with not paying them, even if the claim is bogus.

Have you ever noticed when you call the company, the lies start coming out. 'you ordered this': 'I can only deal with the current bill, nothing else, '' They will have the date you signed up. I just happened to visit their web page one evening, just checking it out. Then, I am automatically charged for purchasing a membership. This must be the era of greed. I wonder if that's all people think of, mo money, mo money.

Several years ago, Sprint sends me a bill (I never used Sprint). They had the date I signed up and it seems that in one day, I ran up a bill of $350.00+. Tell them adamantly you will not pay and you will eventually find that they have contributed negative information to your credit report.

Thanks for giving me a place to dump my stuff.
N  17th of Mar, 2009 by
I noticed charges from Verizon totaling over $70.00 directly billed to my checking account for services I didn't order and didn't even receive! I called Verizon and they claimed I ordered online services to be billed directly to my checking account for High Speed Internet. When I explained to them that this was impossible due to my situation they acted like they didn't believe me. In addition to that, to cancel the service (I didn't even order) they charged me an early termination fee of $80.00. Yes, friendly customer service. 'Sorry, we can't help you, that will be an additional $80.00.'
A  13th of Apr, 2009 by
Verizon has the most awful customer service.
They hang up when not pleased that the discussion is not going their way.
I had ordered the Fios Package and have been at odds with them every month.
Random charges pop up. I ordered International Calling and was guaranteed that the country I dial is part of the plan. Guess what? It wasn't. Can you believe how much they were charging per minute?! I was told by one of their wonderful customer service reps that it does not matter what the last rep had told me, I should have read some document that was not provided to me.
They play the blame game and blame me.
They blame the people that go door to door in attempt for you to sign with them. SUCKERS! Yes I am.
Another month they offered me some HBO and WWE for another mess up on their behalf.
Now I am billed with that and told by some smarmy rep that it was a promotion that I had ordered.
Then they said I ordered some games and something to watch movies on my computer. I never did and had no ide that these services were offered.
I have been waiting three days for some Manager to call me that has yet to pick up his phone and do so.
So I called the CEO of Verizon, Ivan Seidenberg. He has a home in Palm Gardens or someplace like that in Florida.
I have left a message with two of his numbers. He has yet to call me. I have my phone recording to prove the call, his voice, and my message etc. I will play that on youtube soon. I just contacted my State Senator, Borough President and will not stop. In fact I am asking anyone who has a complaint to send me a video testimonial for the Verizon channel that I will create on Youtube. The State of New Jersey is suing Verizon.
It reminds me of WorldCom. We know what the CEO and all the bigs were doing with that company. Verizon must be doing the same.
A  13th of Apr, 2009 by
They suck
N  7th of May, 2009 by
On the first part of Dec. 2008, I canceled my account with Verizon Fios, which included phone, internet and TV. I received a bill dated 12-13-08 that showed they owed me $31.88. When I called about my refund about three months ago. The girl preceded to tell me it would take thirty days for them to make the adjustment. Well it has been over thirty days and today I receive another bill from them stating my balance is now only $13.61 owed me due to them charging me every month for services I don't even have. I guess they will continue to do this until they clear out my credit owed me!!! These people are lairs & thieves when you call them, they must pay them well to lie and keep your money! Never have I ever gotten a honest person when I've called them, this is one reason why I canceled with them. Unfortunately I now have them for my wireless phone company due to merging with Alltel. Guess that will have to change too!!
N  12th of May, 2009 by
I wanted DSL service so I got local phone service at my old apartment. We got two cell phones so the local phone service was not needed, but I was told that I cannot get DSL without local phone service. A year later I was moving and called Verizon to see if DSL is available at my new place. Both the website and the operator said yes, and so I asked to move my phone & DSL service. They said I can transfer my phone # to new place so I requested that too. Weeks later they found out that I cannot get DSL at my new house (after asking me to walk around my neighbor and ask if any of my neighbors got DSL, and I found out that none of them could). I canceled my phone service and asked for the $88.10 of the phone installation charges back. The logic: I agreed to getting phone service because Verizon said I could get DSL, and if DSL wasn't available, I wouldn't have gotten phone service in the first place. I was led to get phone service based on either flat-out lies or incompetence on the part of Verizon, and I shouldn't be the one paying for it. Verizon called today and said they'll refund only a charge related to a "site visit" but not the installation charges. I explained my situation and logic again and the rep said, "well, you insisted on keeping the phone number, and that's evidence that I really wanted phone service. We got you phone service and so we won't refund the cost related to the installation of phone service."

Another statement she made: "DSL is not regulated by California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), and Verizon never said they will deliver the service as promised." Basically they can be unaccountable and it's OK. When I said that both Verizon's website and the rep said I could get DSL at my new place, she said it's just a simple, honest mistake. Even now, the website still says I could get DSL! Honest mistake? Why haven't you fixed that?!

If you really want to try getting Verizon DSL (or FiOS or whatever they're advertising) and you didn't care much for their phone service, make sure you get in writing that if they cannot deliver DSL, even your phone-related charges must be refunded.
N  16th of Sep, 2009 by
I purchased the Verizon FiOS bundle (cable, internet, telphone). When I moved out of my townhome, I cancelled the services. I paid the final bill and moved on with my life.

Unbeknownst to me, Verizon actually takes the money and splits it among its many departments even though they proudly advertise their "one bill" for the bundled services. Although I paid my bill for the supposed single account, Verizon actually unbundled the account into separate subaccounts and proceeded to underpay one subaccount by $56.15 and overpay another subaccount by about $60.00. Verizon then sent the $56.15 to a collection agency (CCA) for collections. Verizon never informed me of the underpayment.

Today, I spent over 6 hours trying to get this straightened out. No one was able to net the two accounts (even though they are advertise as one bill . If I pay the collection agency it will go on my credit rating.

None of the departments talk to each other and they don't really know how to fix the problem. Maybe if this gets a little publicity, Verizon will do something about this huge problem with its billing system.
N  10th of Jan, 2010 by
This is great... I have been travelling to Europe (Italy) for years. I had another company before and with my BlackBerry I've been there and used all the functions I had access to including email and txting.
I was just there for the 09 Christmas Holidays. I know that there some charges for using your US phone there but my bill for the 2 weeks there came up to $4, 452.82!!!
Yes 4 thousand!!! I went with Verizon because I wante a flip BlackBerry and At&t didn't offer it. When I was at Verizon I found out that the flip BB doesn't work overseas. Next best thing the Storm 2. I was told that my phoen will work over there just fine. No mention of anything like that.
Now I have no idea how to resolve this but I'm going through the whole management of Verizon to find out what the heck is their problem.
A  29th of Nov, 2010 by
Same thing just happened to me! They made an error on my bill making it $560 MORE than it should have been! They acknowledge their error but never amended it in their system. I received periodic bills for the erroneous amount yet every time I called, Customer Service told me to disregard these bills. Now, the amount has been sent to collections and Verizon claims there's nothing they can do.

It's disgusting that there don't appear to be more regulations for large corporations such as Verizon to ensure that their billing practices are capable of accurately and effectively dealing with their volume of customers and the diversification of their services! When they mess up, it's always the CUSTOMER who pays!
N  26th of Dec, 2010 by
Check their taxes! They are part of government rip off too. They work together. If you make a complaint with state there won't be any action. They waste your time too. They are buddies. I can't understand why people buy verizon phone and their @#&**** FIOS package. Keep them off, you would be better off. There is no scuh company in America with such a poor customer service. Well you will see when you use them. There are much better services, why go with someone is so nasty and wants to rob you. Full of EVIL people. Stay away...
A  20th of Jul, 2015 by
AVOID ONE BILL and BUNDLING NO MATTER HOW VERIZON TRIES TO SEDUCE YOU. IT IS NOT WORTH IT. SCAM SCAM SCAM. There are too many years of details and horrors for me to go into here, but suffice it to say, if you are bundled, VERIZON CAN SHUT OFF ANY SERVICE BUNDLED, including your TV, which they did to me, though my quarrel was with Wireless, not Residential. I only have Verizon because I'm rural. They went from a good company to pure evil and have tortured me in every way possible. If it worked for my life to disconnect from the world, I would happily do so, and rid myself of these vermin. AVOID IF YOU CAN. If you can't, just watch your back. And your bills/bank account. And don't believe anything they say.

Verizon Communications Logo Verizon Communications