USAA / lies and deceptive practices

1 San Antonio, FL, United States Review updated:

I am a previous USAA employee of 15 years and a Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom combat veteran. I suggest any soldier considering them to think twice. State Farm or Allstate will be just as good if not better than this company. I had a simple jewelry claim. My wife's wedding ring broke in half. My wife did not know where it happened so the top half was missing and we couldn't find it. USAA told us we had to use their Gemology department to have the ring repaired or replaced. I asked if we could have the ring fixed ourselves and was told it was not an option. This is a boldface lie. They cannot demand a customer use their in-house repair service unless it is expressly written in the insurance contract...which it is not. I had to ship the whole ring set and pay out of pocket to insure it so they could save a few bucks. Unbelievably...they have had our ring over four months. I could have taken the ring to a jeweler in town that said they could make a new on in a week. I am writing to the Insurance Board to make a complaint since USAA has no one that you can call that cares about the claim. They also double charged me for coverage on the same ring for years. They owe me a reimbursement for that but no one calls back to work with me. And just to top it off today I found out the USAA bank had made duplicate check payment out of my checking account for $150. They paid twice for the same check number. This whole company is a mere shadow of what it used to be when General McDermott ran the show. Very sad to see the decline.

Jo
Jun 10, 2015

Comments

• Th
      11th of Jun, 2015

"I had to ship the whole ring set and pay out of pocket to insure it so they could save a few bucks. "

They need to examine the piece to verify the validity of the claim. This is why you need to send it to them which is outlined in your policy. You claiming it isn't is disingenuous on your part.