University of Phoenix / liars

First off, I would like to state that I am currently enrolled with UoP Online. I have read many of the statements posted here, and can sympathize with those who have been having difficulties with UoP.

I enrolled with UoP in May of 2010. Upon enrollment, I was advised to take out the maximum amount on my loans to ''ensure that I will receive money with each disbursement." This was important to me, as I advised my enrollment counselor, I am a single mother of two young children without a car, job, and absolutely no help from any outside sources, friends or family.

My first disbursement came and gone, and as promised, a check was sent to me to help cover the cost of rent and necessities for my children. Around the time for my second disbursement, I had checked out my accounts page. Money had been applied towards my courses and ''books'' with a credit balance remaining.

After waiting the 14 days and still not receiving the credit due, I contacted my financial advisor. I waited two days for a reply, and had yet to receive one, so I contacted the financial aid office. The gentleman I was speaking with told me that I did not have any credit due to me. When I would ask him why my accounts page said that I have a credit, his best response was ''you do not have any credit."

Three weeks of being directed to different people, I finally found one that actually admitted that I had a credit. So when I asked when I would be receiving this, I was told they were going to hold it and apply it to my next block of classes. (Classes that weren't going to start for another two months.)

Now, I have received a letter in the mail yesterday about my disbursements, and this is exactly what it says:

After the disbursement posts to your student account, any credit balance will be sent to you within five days, but no more than 14 days from the date of the disbursement posting.

With this information provided in their own letter, how can they hold the credit balance due to me? This is a question that I have asked several individuals, with absolutely no response. I am aware that in order to continue receiving federal aid, one must maintain satisfactory academic progress, along with a certain grade point average.

My SAP has been satisfactory, along with a near perfect GPA. So this could not be the cause of not receiving the funds. It has been six weeks since this situation has started, and everyone that I contact just simply will not contact me back.

So for those who have encountered this same situation, what is the next step to take, if any? Numerous attempts to contact anyone within the University has failed miserably. So now what?

Me

Comments

• Uo
      15th of Dec, 2010

Hello,

I understand that you are frustrated by this situation, and I would like to offer my assistance. The University has a department dedicated to hearing student issues such as yours, and doing their best to resolve them. Please contact the Office of Dispute Management by email at UofPhoenix@phoenix.edu or by phone at 602-557-5566.

~ Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator