University of Phoenix / sign you up, then leave you hanging!!

I have attended UOP for about a year and a half with fairly good results as far as professors are concerned. However, dealing with my financial/academic advisors has been a pain staking process. They do not return calls, respond to emails, nor do they have the knowledge about procedures that they should have. Any time I had to change my schedule they would completely screw everything up!
I had problems in my last course due to an illness, which I brought to my professors attention as soon as it started to become a problem, she directed me to my academic advisor and suggested that I request an "I" which means that I would be granted additional time to complete my course.
When discussing this possibility with my advisor, he had never heard of it and stated that the only thing I could do would be to drop out of the course. (What a bunch of bull) It clearly states in the hand book that this is a viable solution. Anyway, I continued to try and complete my assignments as best as possible until my final.
I emailed my teacher that Sunday (Day seven, last day of the course) and explained that I was very ill and that I could not complete my final by midnight. I was then admitted in the hospital and was not released for several days. Upon my release I called my professor to explain my situation and she told me that her hands were tied; I should once again contact my advisor.
I followed her instructions and once again I'm not getting any help. However they did make it clear that they do not excuse finals for ANY REASON! My only alternative would be to retake the course, at my expense!! I have submitted my medical documents to prove my case but evidently that’s not good enough.
I'm sorry, but I have never heard of a school not allowing students to make up finals based on documented medical reasons!! I would have passed this course in spite of my illness causing a few late assignments had it not been for the final. Moreover, I have never received below a "B" in any of my other 16 courses. Although I have received 42 credits and I'm so close to getting my associates degree, I want nothing more than to transfer to a more respectable university.

If you do decide to apply at this university make sure that you are not late on your assignments (for any reason), don't make any changes to your schedule and don't expect to have any issues you might have to be resolved in a timely fashion. As for me, I might have to complete my Associates with UOP but I will not continue my education with them. Oh, and by the way, UOP is very over priced; especially for the service you receive. After researching other universities I could have gotten the same degree for 3/4 of the price.

Ho

Comments

• Ni
      9th of Jun, 2009

This is a University with over 300, 000 students, pretty astounding! I recieved my undergraduate with University of Phoenix and it is a great school with proper regional accreidation. As with any accredited four year University you have to take out a Leave of Abscence if you are ill. Just like you would do with your job! Wow- amazing right? Nope just common sense. This institution would not recieve the proper Department of Education accreditation and federal funding if it were a "rip-off" Unfortunately, people cannot accept responsibility for their lack of responsibility!

10th of Jun, 2009

nikwy--
    IF you read my post you would see that I requested a leave of absence and because I was at the end of the course I was told there was nothing they could do. Moreover, I had no idea that I was going to be admitted to the hospital, had I known I would have planned for it.
    Given the fact that you received your degree I'm sure you that you understand how important it is to read the material before posting a comment.
    I have plenty of common sense. In fact, I have educated myself so much on the policies of UOP that I resolved my own problem when my counselor could not.

So again, I thank you for your concern but really you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

18th of Jun, 2009

whatever you say thief. Don't choke trying to swallow your sausage. I know you are one of them sitting in your butt getting our money. If you call Axia Online "College" than you are so full of it because the name is not University of Phoenix. Maybe if you get some knowledge then you will not be a ### trying to explain hundreds of students why they have problems with Axia Online. You should get a job with them in ripping students off. Let it be heard, first amendment the right for freedom of speech. Don't try to silence us, Liars Liars you won't shut us that easily.

18th of Jun, 2009

Rip Off, Are you insane??? Axia College is like any other community college. Once you receive your undergraduate degree, you move on to the University of Phoenix. And don't think for a second that YOU or ANYONE ELSE is paying for my degree. I have never nor will I ever ask for assistance, I work for every dime I make and always have. However, you seem to be very knowledgeable in the field of not paying your way... why don't you explain the process so that others might be so fortunate.
    Rip Off- Why don't you put your sausage where your mouth is because the only thing you are spewing is bull!!! You should take some courses at AXIA, maybe then you would learn to be a little more professional.

19th of Jun, 2009

Hey Holly, How ### can you be. Maybe if you had a little more sence ytou will not be as ignorant as you are. Maybe you should stuff the sausage somewhere else. Apparently you are so full of it because if you have some sense you will know that I was a victim. So, don't try to tell us how the system work because we've been doing Axia first than you. I noticed that you are dumb because you cannot spell for anything. Axia is not helping you in being successful at all.

19th of Jun, 2009

Nonnie how ignorant can you be... DO you even know or have ytou ever taken a course at Axia Online??????? Have you????? So how can someone so stupid like you be giving opinions if you don't even understand what is going on. Please attend Axia Online so that ur butt can also get ripped off. But that would probably won't happen too you since we already explain our problem. Do us a favor and if you are not joining, than go do what you do best. Wasteing your time in your computer trying to debate about what Britney Spears is wearing.

19th of Jun, 2009

NonnieMouse- I would appreciate you not speaking to me like I'm some idiot. I have student loans --- I DO NOT have financial aid. Apparently I do not qualify… What I meant by my expense is that the money for the course had already been paid by my loan.
    I am completely aware of what an "I" means. Do you attend Axia College?? I would assume that an "I" would be incomplete too, but that is not the case at Axia. An incomplete course at Axia is a "W" (makes no sense to me but whatever)
    In the end they worked with me and I was able to complete my final. For that I am grateful. Again, I never asked for a handout! I only asked for help trying to fix something that was out of my control.

19th of Jun, 2009

RipperOffs- I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I started this thread because I was having problems with UOP as well as many others apparently. Why don't you get your panties out of a bunch and take a deep breath. I'm not trying to tell you how to work the system.
    The only thing I was commenting on is how the UOP's staff had no clue as to how to work their own system.

And by the way, you should read over your OWN post, because I think that if you did you would agree that it is not me who sounds ###ed, it would be you...

19th of Jun, 2009

NonnieMouse-- Let me ask you... What is the difference between taking out a loan to pay for your car and taking out loans to pay for your education? I see no difference AT ALL.
    And for the record ALL Universities suggest you apply for financial aid "GRANTS" etc. Of which "I" Did not qualify for because "I" make too much money... not my parents. I am a single mother raising 2 boys and I make a good living. However, I didn’t feel the need to share that with people on this site because quite frankly it’s none of your business!!!
    So YOU read carefully... You are a smug and nosy person. You must make a living out of butting into others affairs. I'm sure you are one of those people that have to control everyone around you, aren't you?? Why don't you move you attention on to someone you can actually help instead of throwing around self-righteous comments that benefit no one but yourself.

19th of Jun, 2009

NonnieMouse-- Not that it is any of your business (again) but I take classes online because I am a single mother and I work full time. I guess not everyone is as fortunate as you...It seems all you do is sit around waiting to comment on someone’s post.
    And as to your STUPID question "If you don't qualify for financial aid, why are you working?" Are you suggesting that I should quit my job and live off of government (taxpayers) money? That would be nice, wouldn't it? Is that what you do?
    I prefer to pay my own way!!! Why don't you take my advice and get a job so I don't have to pay YOUR WAY!!!

19th of Jun, 2009

You are so full of ###!!! Both of my kids have the same father ###!
    And for you information I am an accounting major. I understand that some loans are forgiven you idiot... MINE, however, ARE NOT!! What part of that did you not understand?
    I guess all of those years of being a stay at home mom/wife/nosy/smug individual have warped your brain... You completely wasted the scholarship money given to you.
    And yes, I had my children when I was young. I didn't go from high school to college. I went from high school to work... if you think that I am stupid or any less of a person because I did what I had to do to take care of my children, than I guess you are more of a ### than I thought!
    I do not have to explain myself to you or anyone else and quite frankly I have lowered myself far enough my fighting back and forth with you.
    To be honest with you, I think you have made everyone on this site a little less intelligent just from reading your posts.
    Why don't you go and vacuum for your "wonderful man"... Or maybe you can have his drink and dinner ready for him when he gets home. That's all your good for!!

• Na
      19th of Jun, 2009

Well, not a surprise at all - browsing some random complaints and there's NonnieMouse being a ### again. She has such a wonderful life but she spends so much time on here posting a nasty reply to any complaint posted. Whats your hitch, ###? You did the same thing with mine. I would be willing to bet she's really some basement-dwelling teen who comes here making up her little online persona, typing up her trash talk and ### stories trying to sound better than she really is. Anyone with that great of a life wouldn't sit around trolling an internet forum all day. I'm leaving this site because it's nothing but a troll magnet and little kids chatroom. Just about every legitimate complaint here ends with the original poster being flamed. I wish I would have read some of the comments before I posted my complaint and I might have known better!
    HollyC, I would take this complaint to [redacted].com where you have the chance of being taken seriously.. they are much more reputable than this joke of a website.

• Na
      19th of Jun, 2009

You need to get a life too NoThanks, you are another one jumping on complaints with your asinine commentary. Is this like a little internet gang or clique? Whats the hive-minds' consensus, do you not like serious reports ruining your fun? You appear to be even more like a troll based on the complaints you make here. I can see why you aren't on ROR after all - from what I remembered the only ones getting flamed there are the trolls. Goodbye ###

Rip Off Retreat Repeat ###

19th of Jun, 2009

Narinaka420- Thanks for the advice. And I completely agree! This site, as well as many of the people posting comments, is laughable at best. It seems that the only thing people want to discuss on this site is whether you are a ### or not...

Jason- The truth being?

• Ar
      20th of Jun, 2009

@NonnieMouse--Thanks for the tip on possibly not having to pay back the Stafford Loan. It's a long story, which I have wrote and told many times.
    I will look in to that for sure

• Su
      24th of Jun, 2009

I got an MBA from there (did it for fun and my company paid for it). I found that you can learn next to nothing and still pass with flying colors. My sister also got an MBA there and was not happy with it. She just went ahead and got a real MBA from Vanderbilt. I will never use the degree so I haven't done it over. My advice is to go to a real school.

24th of Jun, 2009

NonnieMouse- Honestly, what is your point? Have you ever made one? Name calling seems to be your game and in my last post I apologized for sinking to your level.
    Rest assured, I will not be crying in a corner due to your difference in opinion. The fact that you claim to be so educated makes me LAUGH... NOT CRY!!
    Obviously you're not good at vacuuming either, according to you... What are you good at? You can't tell me your husband doesn’t drink because I would bet that he couldn't put up with your ### if he didn't. Let me ask you a question... It doesn’t matter how old I was when I had my children... "I" made, and continue to "Make" enough money to support them by myself. Can you say the same?
    I bet you got your degree in "How to find a rich husband so I don't have to do anything for the rest of my life” How much did that cost you? I guess it’s working, but what happens if you actually have to support yourself one day? Could you do it? Maybe you can make a living at directing immature comments to real life events; you seem to feel that you are an expert at it.
    You should focus your time on giving back to those less fortunate than yourself since you seem to have it all…There are so many people in need of assistance due to the current economic situation. Hopefully you don’t find yourself there … better people than you have had to face difficult circumstances these days!!! Have you watched the news? People with “real degrees, ” according to your standards, are homeless. How sad is that? Good thing you have a rich husband huh?
    How many lonely wives club meetings do you attend a week? At least I can say that my life is fulfilled... I work, I attend school (whether you want to call it that or not) and I spend time with my family. What the hell do you do? Botox conventions? Make sure you check your source; I heard that those Botox parties can really screw up your face…

• Ju
      25th of Jun, 2009

Interesting - the policy of UOP is not to miss classes and to attend 5 out of the 7 days. When I took a advance algebra class and the professor skipped out on 90% of the class, coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why he could not show up. I wrote a letter informing them if I do not have any excuses as that the professor should be held accountable as well. To make a long story short, the class was given the opportunity to retake the class for free or live with the grade we received. YET being the whistleblower somehow put me on the darkside as UOP to this day refuses to give me my diploma for some bogus money they seem to think I owe - oddly enough the exact amount of the advanced algebra class.

• Ar
      25th of Jun, 2009

@justme--lol..I can totally see that. I am looking into what they say my daughter owes and with her having FAFSA, they are still saying she owes like 15k. Ain't so way. They are freakin liars and they really cover their ### well don't they?