United Airlines / Rude, impolite

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I was traveling to Dayton via Chicago, where I had to change the flight. As the flight 843, was delayed due to the technical difficulty, it reach 45 min after the scheduled arrival time at Chicago.

The ground staff member Mr. CDEAVAN at chicago was so rude, impolite and misguiding me that the flight has take off and that he will provide the hotel accommodation. It looked to me that he was forcing me to take the hotel coupons as he might get some commission per passenger. When I requested him to at least guide me in direction to the terminal for the connecting flight he threaten me that he will put me in the next day evening flight. As I was traveling with my 4 years kid, I was desperate to travel in the same flight as the status of the flight was showing as boarding. And before I could say anything he change me flight to next day morning.

After departure status was showing that the connecting flight is still boarding, I manage some how running thru the terminal with my 4 years kid with the stroller to catch the flight on dot.

I would not recommend anyone to travel with United flight after my horrible experience.

Comments

• Je
      16th of Oct, 2008

I used United Airlines to book a ticket from New York to San Francisco. The ticket agent had informed me that there would be $75 in taxes and fees. I agreed to that. They sent me an e-mail receipt to confirm the $75 in taxes and fees.

When I returned to New York, I checked my mail and checked my credit card statement. United Airlines charged me $75 in taxes and fees and then they charged me $75 again. They charged me for the same thing TWICE!

So I spoke to customer service at United Airlines 4 or 5 times. Each customer service representative said that they had committed a mistake and each customer service representative transfered me to another line, which was a dead line. Basically there was a robot answering the phone going on about nonsense and finally saying “Blah blah blah blah, press 1, blah blah blah press 2”. None of these options were remotely related at all to my situation.

Each time I spoke to United Airlines customer service, the people said “I’m sorry sir, we made a mistake. We’ll transfer you to so and so and you can ask for a refund” and each time they sent me to a dead line with a robot answering system. Each time they threatened to transfer me to a dead phone line I specifically told them not to transfer me to a robotic answering system and that I wanted to speak to a human being to resolve this issue. They kept saying “sorry sir, we don’t handle this, I have to transfer you to so and so department” and each time they transferred me to a dead line with a generic robotic answering machine!

Also, this is not meant to be offensive, but for some reason all the customer service representatives spoke poor English and at times I had to ask them to repeat what they were saying or had to repeat what I was saying.

Finally I spoke to the dispute resolution department at my credit card company. The lady at my credit card company sounded very sincere and was very helpful. She looked at my statement and saw that United Airlines charged me $75 TWICE. So she called United Airlines, and 20 minutes later got through to someone (a human being, not a robot) who supposedly is the manager in charge.

The lady from my credit card dispute department stayed on the line and the United Airlines manager (who spoke poor English) started having a conversation with me not related to the dispute I was arguing. I got straight to the point to ask him why he charged $75 TWICE.

He said “Hmmm….Well…..(Non comprehensible language)….let me pull up your record” and after a while he said that $75 is charged in taxes and fees. I KNOW THAT, BUT WHY DID THEY CHARGE ME $75 in taxes and fees TWICE!

Basically the guy had me on the phone forever just to tell me what I already know. I know I’m supposed to be charged $75 in taxes and fees, BUT WHY DID THEY CHARGE ME TWICE?????
    I told him that “I ALREADY KNOW THAT I AM SUPPOSED TO BE CHARGED $75, BUT BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION, WHY DID YOU CHARGE ME $75 TWICE?” to which he replied in some non comprehensible nonsense. The conversation basically went on like this for a while. Finally he said “Hold on sir, let me take a look at this”. Then he finally said “Well, we charged you $75 in taxes and fees, and then we charged you $75 as a cancellation fee”…….WHEN DID I CANCEL A TICKET? WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?

The first 4 or 5 United Airlines customer service representatives I spoke to said that they had made a mistake. But when I spoke to this manager, because the agent from the dispute department at my credit card company was on the phone line with me, suddenly the United Airlines manager frauduantly claimed that I had canceled an airline ticket.

When I informed him that I had never canceled an airline ticket and didn’t know where these accusations where coming from, guess what he did? He said “Hold on sir, let me transfer you to so and so” and put me on hold forever.

My credit card dispute department agent told me that she couldn’t wait anymore and that they would send me a letter of dispute.

I am awaiting this letter of dispute from my credit card company. I hope I win this. Furthermore, I hope no one ever has to go through this. BOYCOTT UNITED AIRLINES.