United Airlines / Exorbitant airline fees for surfboards

1 United States

I was charged $175 for checking my surfboard (ca 7 feet in a padded travel bag) from Honolulu to San Francisco. To add injury to insult, my board was severely damaged en route--cracked ("flexed") across the deck of the board about 2/3 up from the tail, and the tail smashed as well. I used to grumble about the $50+ charged in years past, but $175 is excessive. Surfboards are indeed unwieldy, large and susceptible to damage, but they are also comparatively light and damage (particularly the kind of damage my board sustained) is easy to avoid. The UA representative at the baggage claim told me that I could not file a damage claim with him, stating that the only venue for this was online. He claimed that the damage was not UA's responsibility despite charging me $175 for this "service." And despite numerous phone calls to UA in the aftermath of this BS--each ending with a promise from the UA representative that someone from UA would be getting back to me to help me resolve this issue--no one has responded.