Uhaul / Mark's Auto Repair - Appleton, Wisconsin / I will never rent a uhaul again!

United States Review updated:
My husband and I rented a Uhaul truck to move about 25 miles on a Sunday. About 3 hours into having the truck, we noticed that a rear tire was flat. (We had been loading the truck during this time, so we did not notice it right away.) We stopped at numerous gas stations and put several miles on the truck looking for a suitable air compressor to put try to inflate the tire. We had to search through several service stations and even tried to get help at tires repair stations, but they were closed because it was Sunday. In the station where we finally found an air compressor that wasn't out of order, we noticed that there was a large gash in the tire, and that simply adding air would not help. My husband bought a can of fix a flat, but this did not fix the problem. I feel that because for the size of the gash, the people that rented this truck to us had to have known it was there.

We now knew that we would have to try and make the move with the tire we had. It was nerve racking, but we made it. I felt that we should have received a discount for the lost time, frustration, and miles we put on the truck trying to get the tire fixed. I called Mark's Auto Repair on Monday and they told me we could only get reimbursed for the fix a flat if we bought in a receipt. I was given a national Uhaul number to call, but this turned out to be the wrong number and I had to make a third call. I was told at the regional office that I could not get a discount because I did not call the Hotline DURING the move. I didn't know we had to complain DURING the move if we wanted a discount-obviously they don't care about keeping customers happy.

I was not impressed and will never rent a Uhaul again.

D  5th of Mar, 2007 by
"I feel that because for the size of the gash, the people that rented this truck to us had to have known it was there."

Sorry for your troubles, ma'am, but how does the size of a gash on a tire help one gauge when it developed? Simple: it doesn't and you don't know from whence you speak. I've had a great deal of service done at Mark's with never a problem and only the most courteous service. Bad-mouthing an honest retailer like Mark without having the slightest inkling of the subject matter is beyond the pale. Bring in your receipt, like you'd have to do at Shopko, Wal-Mart, Kohl's and any other retail establishment and get your refund. And quit ###.
N  29th of Mar, 2011 by
Every rental contract has the Hotline number that you are supposed to call if you have trouble DURING your move. If you called it DURING your move they would have come out and fixed your tire.

U-Haul International Logo U-Haul International