Turbotax Deluxe / software

TN, United States Review updated:

I used H&R Block previously and thought I would try TurboTax this year - a big mistake! TurboTax actually read my tax info from last year but couldn't interpret the approach and forms that were used. Not complicated, my filing is the simplest approach to a self-employment as can be. But TurboTax took me down the path of, 'you need to buy the next step up software package', you need to call the 'pro'. To the point of finally gaving up, I downloaded the forms from the IRS web-site and spent the time doing it by hand.
I feel as though TurboTax is functionally very poor - except for getting as much money out of their customers as they possibly can. Do yourself a favor and stay away from TurboTax!

Comments

• Me
      25th of Feb, 2010

Just before transmitting my 2009 federal income tax return, TurboTax asked me to complete line 1 of my w-2. This is the line that contains gross income, etc. I had already entered this information, but re-entered it anyway because I thought it didn't "take" the first time. After successfully transmitting my return, I discovered that my income had DOUBLED! Instead of getting a refund, I now owed 4 times more than I was getting back. Had to file an amended (1040X) to straighten things out. From what I've read, I am not the only victim of this.