Tripmate / non payment

1 Box 737Emlenton, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 412-894-8749

We bought Trip Mate insurance from Melrose Travel in Philadelphia in good faith and we cannot understand Trip Mate's ongoing dissembling, use of long paragraphs of ‘boilerplate’ in their communications and general attempts to confuse the issue.

(We are now on our fourth round of letters to them spanning ten months.)

We filed a claim with them in June of 2007 when United Airlines cancelled our flight. Now, in April of 2008 they continue to counter our repeatedly submitted statements of fact with dissembling stating that the flight for which we were booked and which was cancelled (we submitted our boarding passes) did not originate in Pittsburgh, even though Pittsburgh is listed LARGE on the Boarding Pass.

Our facts, our laboriously assembled receipts and our documentation and requests are answered by letters from Trip Mate that address none of the issues. They only seek to confound and discourage an attempt to collect on our claim.

In my opinion they are highly unethical. Terrible, just terrible. Don't buy insurance from them unless you want to find yourself involved in months and months of fruitless correspondence and travail. We have reported them to the Kansas City BBB (Missouri), The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Insurance Department and - now - TO YOU!

They do business as Travel Safe, Trip Mate and Stonebridge - BEWARE!!!

If you have an outstanding problem with them, please let us know. They must be stopped.

Comments

29th of Sep, 2010

Yes, I agree that Trip Mate is highly unethical and must be stopped. I purchased travel insurance for son and myself for a tour to Japan. My son developed a condition that made him hyperactive and has a doctors note that he should not travel for long periods of time. We are Americans temporarily living in Belgium so we had to fly from Belgium to California for the tour which is a 13 hour trip and then from California to Japan which is another 12 hours. Trip Mate would not accept our claim along with the doctors notes. Their reason was that they will not pay for a mental or nervous condition unless my son was hospitalized for this condition. I lost my deposit for the trip plus the cost of insurance for two people. I think this was totally unfair of Trip Mate. Sarah

• Th
      16th of Mar, 2012

My wife and I had to cancel a weeks vacation to Atlantis in the Bahamas due to a medical problem my wife had 2 days before our scheduled departure. We had purchased trip insurance from Trip-Mate. When I read all the complaints online I was worried about getting our money back. Atlantis refunded about half of our payment immediately and said we would have to get the remainder from Trip-Mate. We submitted our claim that included a letter from the Emergency Room Doctor stating that she shouldn't travel for at least two weeks. I'm glad to report that, after 17 days and many phone calls and emails, we did receive a full refund today. All we lost was the $158 cost of the insurance.

• Ge
      14th of Oct, 2018
    Trip Mate - Amtrak trip delay. Amtrak late 8 hrs from Chicago to Seattle Washington

On 7/23/2018 Amtrak was 8 hrs. late coming from Chicago Illinois to Settle Washington. This cause expense for us because we miss the last fairy to Vancouver Iland where our Motel room was. Been fighting with Trip Mate for a settlement for 3 months for the expense that we occurred. What Is wrong with a company that takes 3 months.