Having problems with Trip Mate?

Trip Mate reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Mar 31, 2008. The latest review Travel Insurance was posted on Nov 1, 2021. The latest complaint still waiting on voucher was resolved on Oct 21, 2014. Trip Mate has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 63 reviews. Trip Mate has resolved 8 complaints.

Trip Mate Customer Service Contacts

9225 Ward Parkway
Kansas City, Missouri

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Trip Mate Customer Service. Initial Trip Mate complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Trip Mate above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Trip Mate. Discuss the issues you have had with Trip Mate and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Trip Mate Complaints & Reviews, Page 3

Tripmate Insurancerefusing to fly 90 year old mother back home

We flew my mother to Argentina in December 2015. She fell ill and we had purchased travel insurance through Trip Mate which was offered by Cheapo Air. For the last 10 days we have been going back and forth with Trip Mate and speaking to a very rude supervisor called Shawna. She went to the doctor that said she needed to fly home immediately. Trip Mate said no she needs to go to their doctors. So my 90 year old mother went to their doctor and they gave the letter saying she is safe to travel home. Now Trip Mate is saying no we want your 90 year old mother to see another doctor!!! This is a total SCAM!!! She needs to get home!!! We will be contacting the Insurance commissioner and this is elder abuse and we will be seeking an attorney!!! Her Case number is #519189 Trip Mate and their medical department has documents that proves that she should be sent home!!! we also have documentation proving this!!!

Tripmate Insurancetravel insurance

My family of four were delayed on a flight from Los Angeles to Newark, NY. This caused a missed connecting flight to Dublin, Ireland. There were no other flights leaving Newark to Dublin until 18 hours later. As a result we missed our first night hotel accommodations in Kilkenny, Ireland and our first day rental car. After sending Tripmate 3 sets of detailed documentation and two letters from our travel agent, we were denied our claim. Their ridiculous reason for denial was that our flight was not delayed by 24 hours or more. I will NEVER purchase travel insurance from this company again. It would be more advantageous to pay more for insurance from a reliable and reputable company than through this scam called Tripmate Travel Insurance, which was purchased through World Nomads.

Tripmateflight insurance

I had a flight from Denver to Az July 7, 2015 for orientation to a new job. I had just moved 9, 000 ft up from Florida to Woodland Park, Co, and starting having breathing and vertigo issues. I had flight insurance put on, just in case. The company in AZ refused to pay my hotel as promised, and I wasnt' well anyway, so I cancelled my orientation, and went to a Dr. who declared me disabled. I have prexisting conditions, doesn' t everyone? But they refused reimbursing me, I cancelled weeks in advance. Suddenly Trip Mate thinks they are Dr.s ? Any class action law suits and I am IN !!! WHAT RIP OFFS...

Tripmaterefuse to refund

Bought trip insurance for our son's Link Year (Christian organization), trip to Ireland, last year. We are still dealing with them almost 1 year later and they give you the run around, need more information, bla, bla, bla. Once they got all the info now they claim that the whole trip was $3500 but only inured $1500, so everything is null and void.. Very interesting that everything is good when they are taking your money but once is time to pay, they don't. Stay far away from this company, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! . This is the only way to hurt them, not to buy their product.

Tripmatedoes not refund funds

I was informed by a travel agent with Escape World Travel that if I purchased insurance through Trip Mate it would cover any money I deposited if we had to cancel our trip for any reason, except for the cost of the insurance policies. After sending hundreds of dollars to reserve a European trip a year later, I received an insurance booklet stating their terms and conditions. Unfortunately my husband was unable to go on the trip and I cancelled 9 months before the trip was scheduled. All Trip Mate would do is send me vouchers to be used toward another European trip within one year and with the same agency I originally booked with. In other words, you DO NOT GET YOUR DEPOSITED MONEY back like they promised. READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE SENDING ANY MONIES!!!

Tripmatestill waiting on voucher

My exfiance and I planned a trip to the Couples resort for June. We broke off the engagement in May and after submitting the paperwork I was told I would receive vouchers. I had submitted documentation showing proof that I had paid for the entirety of the trip; plane tickets, hotel, etc. They proceeded to send 1/2 the cost of the trip to me and the other half to my ex fiance. After calling numerous times, they finally told me that my ex would have to get a letter notarized saying he turned over his portion to me. I submitted this via email (like they wanted) and heard nothing back for about a month. I finally called to see what was going on; they had resent the voucher to me but at my ex's address (even though I gave them the correct address). I finally was told they would resubmit the vouchers for reprinting as I had never received them. 3 weeks later I am still waiting on the "voucher." Awful customer service and awful reply time. It has been over 4.5 months and I still have yet to receive the "voucher" that I only have until next June to use. After stating that I should receive an extension on the time since it is taking them so long, they refused and said they could not do that.

Tripmatepoor service

I purchased trip insurance with Trip Mate. We were in a car accident in St. Lucia, and when I called to report the accident I had to leave a message. They did not call me back, and when I got in touch with them stated, "we don't make phone calls outside the US, " as the reason for not calling me back! Now I have filed multiple claims with them, multiple times, and have waited for over a month to receive an answer regarding my medical claims. When I call them, I am told, "it is in the final stages of review." That is NOT helpful! I have paid a lot of money for medical services out of pocket and was expecting to receive the money back, due to the way the policy was written, as well as the fact that some of my medical bills have been paid. I need answers, and payment of my medical bills. I would recommend that people are WARNED not to use Trip Mate insurance if they expect money for trip interruption, medical expenses, or any kind of decent customer service.

• TripMateInsurance Mar 08, 2013

Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us on the phone about your claim. We are sorry to hear both about the accident and that you are unhappy with the claims process afterward. We aim to provide peace of mind with our travel insurance policies and want to make sure your issues are addressed.

As we discussed on the phone, our records indicate the first payment was made on your claim in March of 2012. We are not able to make payments without complete information, however, and itemized bills with matching Explanations of Benefits are needed for review of medical bills. We apologize if we caused any stress by requesting additional information, but it is necessary to ensure the correct amounts are paid to you and the medical suppliers.

We would appreciate your telling us which phone number you used to call our office when you were in St. Lucia. Our toll-free phone number does not have an answering machine. Instead, our after-hours service provider answers all phone calls made after regular business hours, and they are able to make and receive international phone calls. Again, please let us know which phone number you called so that we can further investigate this situation.

As we outlined in the correspondence sent with your benefit check, there are some charges for prescriptions for which we need additional information. If we can do anything else to assist you in obtaining these documents, we will be happy to do so. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
                  Trip Mate Team

Tripmate Insurancerefund

trip mate sent me a check for $67 after i paid over $500 for there service. I have a family of 5 and spent close to $2000 that is ALLLL covered under the insurance. its been 6 months and have had nothing but negative rude "customer service". A manager named Darcy calls me every time even though i ask to speak with someone else. She is horrible at her job and lacks emotion and any customer service. My case is very simple, I bought insurance then my flight was cancelled for 4 days due to a hurricane. I spent money on hotel and food and they will not pay! NEVER purchase this insurance. Any travel agent that uses this service is possibly scamming the customer due to the thousands of complaints regarding this company.

Smithgold Jun 22, 2012

Tripmate went out of its way to delay and deny air evacuation even when medical evidence was indisputable. In bed, unable to move, Tripmate made me go back to the MD would clearly indicated I should go back the same hospital and surgeon who had repaired my leg some weeks earlier. When I did everything Tripmate demanded, six days later, they could not find a plane, though I found one and paid for it myself via American Express. It took Tripmate nine months to review and reimburse after hiring lawyers, sending countless letters, and making endless calls. On the verge of a class action suit, Tripmate paid. Their practices are reprehensible. In my case, they cost me a great deal of money and made a new surgery unavoidable. It would have been a different matter had they lived up to their very expensive promises.

Tripmateinsurance

I took a trip to the Caribbean (Beaches Resort) this summer and I knew that it was a risky proposition because it was hurricane season. The bought insurance through TripMate since the policy stated that there was coverage for trip interruption. Hurricane Irene struck the island of Turks and Caicos and our resort was flooded. Our room was flooded. The entire place was shut down. The airport was closed for days. Naturally we were trapped until our departure. There was was running water and some food but we were stranded for days until our departure. Tripmate refused to pay us any benefit since they claim that we were unsatisfied with the amenities we received and stayed for the duration of our trip. What exactly was I supposed to do? Swim back to Florida? They claim that I did no incur any additional expenses to leave. How was I supposed to leave when the airport was closed? They claim that there is no benefit for amenities that were unavailable. I think that a hurricane ravaged island flooded by waters and airport closure qualifies as "trip interruption." I filed a complaint with the BBB and all they did was forward my emails to TripMate. I got nowhere. Even when the policy states that there is coverage for "trip interruption" because of "flood" or "inclement weather, " they will not pay unless you find a way to incur additional expenses to escape your demise and then have to file a claim after the fact for the unsused portion of your trip. Good luck trying to file any claim with them. They will find any excuse to misrepresent the facts and twist the language of the policy to deny the claim. I have yet to read any online posts praising them for paying a claim.

6 Responses
                    • Tr
                      TripMate/Vantage Ripoff Aug 08, 2016

My Wife and I had to cancel a rail trip to the Canadian Rockies due to my heart problems and her dimentia as documented and verified by letters from our doctors.
                      TripMate will only 10% of our travel costs for the cancelled trip. TripMate has made a "Sweet Heart" deal with Vantage Travel to provide us with travel vouchers we cannot use in order to limit TripMates Liability and increase Vantage Travels revenue.
                      TripMate says we must accept this phony deal that we have refused.

aneavill Apr 14, 2016

I have submitted with medical receipts for prescriptions and visits to the Dr. on board a Viking cruise ship. Their applications for a claim want everything except a blood sample. I was very carefull (because it was so extensive) that I completed and attached everything they asked for, even copies of the pages in my passport to prove I was where I said I was. I have called and talked to them once. Their "Goal Date" is tomorrow, Apr 15th, I was told. So far I haven't received anything from them, not even an acknowledgment.
                      They sure wanted their premium the minute I booked my cruise, but I'm not very hopeful that I will get reimbursed for medical expenses.

madatripmate Dec 18, 2013

I too am involved with a bad claim experience with tripmate. I have already caught them in two lies, but they still claim that my claim is not valid. Avoid this company

Smithgold Sep 06, 2012

This firm did everything possible to deny, delay, and frustrate the execution of their contractual financial duties. Tripmate failed to provide an air ambulance even though it was medically essential and they so admitted. Tripmate would authorize but not send the air evacuation service Tripmate promotes, but could not provide when it was needed. Tripmate provided, instead, only obstacles. Tripmate was no help. I was on my own. I had to secure my own land ambulance to a clinic. Then, I had to secure my own flight home. I had to find my own air ambulance company. When Tripmate failed to locate an air ambulance "because of the weather, " I found an Air Ambulance service in minutes via American Express. Tripmate then took nine months considering my claims. Finally, they paid. In fact, I was preparing a suit when, at long last, the check arrived. Tripmate "service" - in my experience - is a scandal and those who consider Tripmate would be well advised to check the web for the experience of others, including the legal costs of legitimate recovery.

Smithgold Sep 06, 2012

MartinB. Nov 13, 2011

Travel Insurance is designed and sold to cover you in the event that you suffer a financial loss because of an unknown risk at the time you buy the insurance. No travel insurance will cover you for suffering because your vacation sucks because of a disaster. If you had to, or were able to leave the island before the end of your vacation, and it cost you money (extra cost for evacuation, or lost money on non-refundable hotel or tours) then a claim would probably have been paid. But if you stay for the duration of your vacation, you are not covered just because your hotel is a mess and you can't get a decent meal. It is a shame that the airports were closed until you were scheduled to depart. If the airports were closed beyond your original departure date, you may have been covered for extra hotel costs while you were stranded. I have heard of rain insurance that will pay out if it rains for a certain percentage of your vacation dates. I think you will find that a rather expensive option or hard to find during hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Trip Mate Insuranceno refund

Interesting because I have submitted 2 other comments and neither came through so the above was a test. Buyer beware of trip mate insurance. They are nothing but fraudulent and nothing was told to both of us about pre existing conditions...in fact elm grove travel stated there were none.
                    I sent in all my paper work as did my friend and neither of us have gotten anything but negative responses. They contacted my doc on june 1st and my appt was with their time frame, but someone did not document it on my file, a way for them to loose information. I called them today and filed claims with bbb against both and was lied to by rajna from tm twice and was told this call is recorded but you know they can erase anything they want to make themselves look good.
                    I had 9 spinal surgeries and am totally disabled but am I in w/c no! Does someone disabled need to be no! I clean, cook, shop but have to do so within my limits when I can. My pain is totally unpredictable and with 3 falls in 3 weeks my back went out and also taking care of my kitty who was slowly shutting down and passed on may 9th... From all of that my back just gave out and has not been good since. They tm sent me another md attending statement and said they did not have to fill it out per rajna, then when I called back to tell her the letter she said would work was coming she said she never said that and she did, another lie. They have it down they called my docs office for my past appt but guess what my doc's offfice remembers the call and yet they have no record of it another way to cash in on a scam. This is the worst company I ever worked with but if there is a class action suit I will be joining and so will my friends.
                    I have complained to the bbb and if I have to sue them let them pay my attorney fees and my $165. You'd think a doctor's letter would be enough. Then they have you sign a release. Well guess what they can access anything they want when you sign it! If you sign it make sure you cross out anything that does not pertain to your medical history.
                    This company sucks.

Tripmate — refund

Before using tripmate please read the fine print. They have a million excuses nott o refund your money. I wa...

Trip Mate Travel Insurancerefused claim - couldn't explain

I booked my honeymoon and we purchased the travel insurance as a backup in case something happened. We departed for our flight and I became extremely Ill on the plane so we were unable to reach our destination. Trip mate denied our claim and when I call in to try and resolve the issue they tell me that they can't tell me how to resolve it that I just need to do what I feel would be best to resolve it. I have called in multiple times and every single time my husband or I call in they give us a different reason why it was denied. They are extremely rude and unhelpful. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

3 Responses
                          Smithgold Jun 20, 2013

RIP-MATE did everything possible to deny, delay, and frustrate the execution of their contractual financial duties. Tripmate failed to provide an air ambulance even though it was medically essential and they so admitted. Tripmate "authorized" but did not send the air evacuation service that Tripmate promotes, but could not provide when it was needed. Tripmate provided, instead of an ambulance, only obstacles. Tripmate was no help. I was on my own. I had to secure my own land ambulance to a clinic.
                          Then, I had to secure my own flight home. I had to find my own air ambulance company. When Tripmate failed to locate an air ambulance "because of the weather, " I found an Air Ambulance service in minutes via American Express. Tripmate then took nine months considering my claims. Finally, they paid. In fact, I was preparing a suit when, at long last, the check for reimbursement arrived. The case was documented by lawyers, submitted. Documented again. And, then, again, each time the file was prepared by lawyers. Tripmate's "service" - in my experience - is a scandal and those who consider Tripmate would be well advised to check the web for the experience of others, including the legal costs of legitimate recovery.

• Ki
                          King Louie Mar 21, 2011

Trip Mate Insurance is awful. I have a fully documented case only seeking return of airline ticket cancellation fee and they refuse to cover. They keep changing their reason. I have filed a complaint with the state department of insurance and will shortly file a law suit against them. Do not use this company.

• I am assuming you were denied because you did not see a dr when you interrupted your trip. If you read your policy i'm sure it says you need to have been treated by a qualified physician at the time you interrupt your trip for it to be covered... You have to know that it is silly to purchase inusrance or anything else without reading what you are buying. This is only common sense... if you dont see a dr how else do you fugure you can prove you were sick? If insurance companies did not ask for proof any one can claim whatever they want and get money for it. So if someone was bored and didnt want to stay on the trip they could just say the were sick and come home. That would be fraud so insurance companies must require such proof of incidence. I am sorry your honeymoon was ruined but its not the Insurance companies fault you didnt read your policy before traveling.

Tripmate, Inc.unethical business practices

Tripmate switched policies and did not honor the "cancel for no reason" policy. My wife and I scheduled a trip with our local church to Israel (Nov [protected]). We paid a total of $6952 for two fares of which $438 was for travel insurance. Under the provisions of the contract you cannot pay for the trip insurance until all of the monies for the trip are paid. We did that and did not receive a copy of the insurance provisions nor is a policy 427N policy available for download. We had to cancel the trip due to the unexpected call from our adoption agency that identified us a candidates for adoption of siblings. We had to take the kids during the trip period so we cancelled September 13, over two months before the trip was scheduled.I first contacted Noseworthy travel DBA Educational Opportunities and cancelled in writing per our agreement. They referred me to their website that told me to use policy number 427N (which Tripmate said did not exist that I was to use f427E). I contacted Tripmate, filled out the forms provided, sent in receipts, and sent the all express overnight mail for processing. I contacted them each Monday thereafter to check the status of the claim. I was told by "Tom" that the paperwork did not reach an adjustor until the 24th of September and it would be a few more weeks for resolution. I kept checking and finally I checked the website and it stated the claim was denied. I called Tripmate and asked why was my claim denied. I wasn't given a reason, just I would receive a credit for a future trip with NoseWorthy travel and no cash. I was promised a written explaination which I am still waiting for. I attempted to solicit the assistance of my church since they recommended this agency and my request was refused.

The Bottom Line: Make every effort to find some other source of trip insurance if possible. Our experience is "less than stellar" with this guys. I have filed a complaint with the BBB in Missouri but frankly I don't think my chances of collection are good. I just want people to know my story and avoid a possibly expensive lesson.

Trip Mate, Inc. — trip cancellation

My traveling companion had to cancel her trip due to an illness in her family. Trip Mate reimbursed her the...

Globus/Trip Mate — scam partners

I had to cancel a trip that I booked through Globus and also purchased a Travel Protection Plan from Trip...

Tripmateincompetent company

tripmate is a horrible choice stay far away!!!
                          i was supposed to go to europe when the volcano erupted in April and was unable to go. I was told that I was going to get a check in the mail reimbursing the entire amount. I did get the check, the problem though was the name that the check was made out to was not even close to my name!! I called as soon as I got the check. I was told to put the check in the mail and once they got it i would get the check with my actual name on it. There was no way I was going to do that. What if they never received the check? Couldnt they cancel the check and send me one? this is their mistake not mine. I was told they would call me back the next day, never did. I called back again. Was told they would call me back, Never did. This happened literally four more times. Then I called one more time ten days ago and I was told I could send in the check and they would send me one that had my real name on it. NEVER GOT IT!!! so i decided to call today and talked to the supervisor. They arent sure if the check was sent!! I was told to wait a couple more days. okay thanks hahahah trip mate sucks.

• Jc
                              jcopple Jul 29, 2011

You're right...I was booked on an Iceland cruise as well but I had to cancel the trip. TripMate didn't pay my claim which was submitted early in June. Did your cruise company cancel your cruise...which one? when?

Tripmatedelay payment

Mid November I submitted a claim for 6 tickets I bought.
                            at the amount of $7200. I sent all the forms. few weeks later the insurance company "TripMate" requested a duplicate of the documents I sent form my Travel agent. Only on Dec 30th My Travel agent got the communication that what is needed from him is the time he canceled my flights. This was the last data needed to finelize the case.
                            The company says that they take 10 bussness days. I called to check on my claim last week and was told time and time again that it is under review. The person that helped me put " request to finelize the case" which is odd, it was suppose to be finelized. Now when I called back to check on it I was told that the request to finelize it just made 8 days ago and the company have 10 days fom that point.

What I was told is that someone working on it...
                            The company is just buying time and making money form my money.

Please help me to sort it out?
                            Dikla Godesh

• Jb
                                J Bartlett Jul 06, 2010

I am having the exact same problem right now. We cancelled due to a covered illness and sent everything requested including doctor's verification. Our claim is not in any grey area but completely covered with every i dotted and every t crossed! Now they say they do not need anything more from me but they're waiting on info. from Sandals Resort that they requested a month ago...Sandals tells me it was sent...every time I call tripmate I get a different answer and it's been well over 5 weeks...I was initially told 15 days! I'm getting a really bad feeling about this. Might be time to call my attorney.

Tripmatedon't count on them

I have bought travel insurancve through this company many times, never used it, till july when we went to Peru. I bought the insurance policy in 2008 along with the tickets etc. I injured my ankle in march 2009, I was advised not to do the Inca trail. My travel agent said that since I have insurance I will get my refund for that portion of the trip. They just sent me a denial saying that injury happened before travel, so trip interruption insurance will not cover it. This is for about $450. This catch is apparently not known to even the agents who sell these policies.

Please let this be known to every one.

Trip Mate Travel Insurance — refused refund

I booked a trip through Grand Circle Travel on June 17th, 2008. Because of my mother's physical problem...

Trip Mate Travel Insurance — trip mate travel insurance requires the impossible

In May my boyfriend and I planned a 2 week trip to Morocco and Paris. Our trip was fairly complex as we moved...