Toys r us / stay away

On June 2009 we went into this Toys R Us store to exchange 2 small items which were given to my son as a birthday gift on Monday. We were informed that Toys R Us has a new exchange policy. The policy states that if a customer does not have a receipt that they cannot make any exchange. I understand that a company needs to protect themselves from fraud. But at what cost? We were not asking for a big favor, Just to be respected and not treated as criminals. We were told the items were purchased at Toys R Us by the gift givers. But this new policy in effect calls us liars. What a poor customer service policy. I will tell everyone I know about my experiences at Toys R Us. The long standing quote of, "Make 1 customer happy, he may tell 5 people. Make him unhappy, he will tell 500" is very true. I am well on my way. I will never purchase anything from this place and will verbally make others also aware of this.

Comments

• Dl
      22nd of Aug, 2009

lol...omg you need a receipt anywhere. What is your major malfunction.

30th of Aug, 2009

The policy of a receipt with purchase has been in effect for the last eight years at toys r us. The only thing new about the policy was that you had less time to return things and in private a manger could over- ride anything and give you store credit at their discretion. Which they are happy to do when they feel it deserved.

• Ha
      21st of Oct, 2009

All I can say is, try being the customer service associate responsible for telling many, many nice people that we could not return merchandise without a receipt. The company changed the policy, and we spend the months of December and January getting cussed out on a daily basis. We would much rather just give a merchandise credit than tell everyone "no!" After Christmas, I would have to go stand in the break room and try not to cry just for doing my job. Everyone needs to just step back and realize that jobs are hard to come by now, and people are willing to do what the company tells them in order to keep their job. Don't take things out on the little people. And management is more likely to bend the rules when you are polite and reasonable. On that note, I worked 7 Christmases at TRU and probably won't go back because of this. And give gift receipts people! Even Wal-mart only does 3 returns without a receipt a year per customer.

• Mo
      8th of Nov, 2009

I totally agree with you :) they should change the policy because they are threating customers like criminals and blaming supervisors for overriding merchandise we are not suppose to. As my own discretion I did overrided recently a BIG purchase for a GIFT RECEIPT from $39.99 to $59.99 the customer didn't have the original receipt and there is not way for me to know how much she paid for this item. I even called support and my boss they both agree to do it. I'm a new supervisor with NO USER/PASSWORD FOR THE SINGLE SIGN ON/COSA TOYS R US SYSTEM THAT ALLOW ME TO SEARCH FOR THE ORIGINAL RECEIPT NOT MATTER WHAT STORE THEY PURCHASE THE ITEM FROM.

For the store and I have 16+years of Customer Service Experience, I wasn't even aware of how to do the overrided I have a support manager over the phone saying NO then I have a Higher Manager saying yes overrided even without the original receipt and give her store credit. Believe it or not I DID IT, I made her happy, she got more than just a customer service, she got her way. For over an hour I spoke to 2 people bosses over the phone weather or not I should go forward or refuse the transaction while my child 4 1/2 year old and my husband waited for me in the cold outside for me to go home because the customer refuse to go to the store that she purchase the merchandise from AFTER I GAVE HER STORE CREDIT customer still was MAD at me because she wanted me to listen to her long sad history about death people somewhere where she needed to travel and i'm making her late.

OMG what a drama I recall the fact my husband and my child waiting for me outside to please to leave because for over an hour 15 minutes store has been already closed. Customer have serious mental issue problems. She turned around finally left not without calling my boss and she sent her this long nasty e-mail about my poor customer service believe or not after I went over store policies. A lot of customer doesn't realized behing that register there is a human been with kid, husband, a mom, dad waiting for your SUPPORT $$$$.

And rather than gattering the facts of the incident, you get fired/verbal warned or been yell for something they even told you to do it at the first place. I guess you can't make people happy mean while there is a 4 1/2 child who won't have any christmas gifts beacuse mommy got fired for doing the right thing, pleasing the customer!

• Bu
      29th of Dec, 2010

Ha! Its sooo funny how all of these comments sound like associates at Toys R us. Yes, I had the same problem and all I wanted to do was exchange a size 12 months to a 24 month size because my One Year old got that size for his birthday and was not even close to that size lol! I will also never shop there and it was for a 15 dollar item. I have 2 children and buy everything at Target or Walmart!!! They have lost me as a customer 3 years ago and I am sure others. My kids are 6 and 4 and I am still buying toys... but not from Toys R us LOL!

• Sk
      27th of Sep, 2013

I work at toys r us and have for a couple of months. Not a supervisor, just a normal hourly employee. Just putting that out there. This is from myself as a snarky person, not as an employee.
    First, everywhere requires a receipt to make returns and exchanges. Whats the problem here?
    Second, A gift receipt is printed off automatically specifically for instances where an item is bought as a gift and might be returned by the recipient. If you didn't get that gift receipt then take it up with the gift giver.
    Third, "At what cost"? Really? I challenge you to go into any store and attempt to return something without a receipt. You will but unable to do so in many of them my friend.
    Fourth, you are not being treated as a criminal. Just as a customer without a receipt. 90% of employees will try to help you as much as they can. 50% will still try to help you if you get an attitude with them.
    Finally, was this really all it took to make you stop going there?