Tire Kingdom / dishonest and deceptive

Beware. They are dishonest and deceptive. They only care about making money. I took my car to Tire Kingdom, 3550 S. Washington Ave., Titusville, Florida. I went in for a diagnostic check because my car was hesitating when I accelerated. They lied about me needing a new fuel pump (I had just had that replaced!) Then they tried to tell me it was the injectors and quoted me $700 to do the job. I drove home 5 hours later with the same problem. I no longer trusted anything they said. My husband looked under the hood and found a spark plug wire that had fallen against the exhaust manifold causing an arc. He thought that could be the cause of our problems. He taped the wire, moved it away from the hot manifold and drove the car. It drove without any problems! He is not a certified mechanic and was able to fix the car in 5 minutes!

Bi

Comments

1st of Dec, 2009

This is an unfortunate situation. Most technicians at any auto repair facility check for damage to the ignition system(spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor) first. I don't know why they would tell you that your fuel pump was the problem without diagnosing it. If they had done a fuel pressure check which is pretty easy to do they would have determined this. Of course, doing a fuel pressure check or injector diagnosis will incur a fee due to the time and tools it takes to accomplish. $95 is a typical initial diagnosis fee. Maybe they were just informing you of the possible problems with your vehicle. Injectors would indeed cause a problem similar to the one you described.

Did you get the work done? Your complaint said you were only quoted. If you had the work done and had the exact same problem then why did you not go right back and inform the repair staff immediately. There is the possibility that the injectors fixed the problem and the technician will usually always test drive before and after to verify the repair. It is also possible that during the repair a spark plug wire was misrouted when reinstalling and ended up next to the manifold. The symptoms can be identical. It may be sloppy work but it would not be dishonest or deceptive.

If indeed you did pay the original diagnosis fee and they found the injectors to be bad and then charged you $700 and it did not fix the problem and you later found that it was just a spark plug wire you could always ask for the results of any test they performed and the old parts so that you could take it to someone else for verification. Otherwise there would be no way to tell for sure. If it was found that the old injectors were ok then a refund would be in order. In this situation Tire Kingdom should reinstall the old injectors and refund you the money for the repair.

I also think that it is odd that your uncertified husband was able to fix the car in 5 minutes AFTER the $700 repair but not before. Is he in the habit of waiting until spending hefty sums of money before he understands complicated automotive systems? With this kind of immediate knowledge I would recommend your husband for your automotive repairs.