Thrifty Car Rental / fraud and cheating

If you are a first time car renter do not go to Thrifty in Omaha, Nebraska. The counter people are paid commissions to add on things that you don't need. They tell you that you have to have insurance, insurance for collision, for uninsured drivers, for you trip, etc. They try to get you to get a GPS when you already have one, They ask you what kind of car you want and don't tell you it's an upgrade charge. It's difficult enough to learn they correct questions to ask but when you have a liar behind the counter, even if you think you know the correct questions you get ripped. Don't rent from them, use Avis or Hertz or anyone else because they are honest, reputable companies. And if you complain to Thrifty Car Rental, they tell you that it's your fault and so what.

Comments

Er
  31st of Aug, 2007
Thrifty Car Rental - Fraud & cheating!

On 8/12/07 I arrived at Manzanillo airport in Mexico, the Thrifty agent told me that the Orbitz rate of $71.98, under which I have reserved the car through Orbitz was wrong, it should have been $201. Left with no real choice at that airport, I agreed to the increase and signed the rental contract.

I picked up a Dodge Stratus with 54,000 Km, it had a loud, clearly audible rumbling noise emanating from the front ends, and it felt excessively spongy and lethargic when it bounced over the many speed bumps on the road in Manzanillo; a strong indication that the shocks and struts were in very poor condition. Also the back seats were broken and sunk in when sat on. Nevertheless, given that it was Mexico, I assumed that it was nothing out of the ordinary to have a rental car in poor condition and high mileage. Besides, the 45 minutes drive between the airport and my hotel made me decided to just stick with it.

During the 7 days, from time to time, the car's lower right front panel would come unattached, I would just push it back in, to its mounting clips on upper panel, until it came off and just hanging loose again.

At the end of my trip on 8/20/07, I drove it back to the airport, the AC stopped working, and a black rubber/plastic, about a foot square flap came off the hanging lower front panel, flapping in the wind and against the right front tire. Anyway, I was able to make it back to the airport and returned the car.

After checking the car upon my report of the problems, the Thrifty manager told me that the oil pump was leaking oil because, she determined, that I must have run over something. She also mentioned dirty muddy water (which was from the rain in the previous several days and the muddy sections of some roads) -- and I will be responsible for the repair cost. I told her that since I was not offered to inspect the oil pump prior to renting, there was no way for me to know what was the condition of the oil pump, for all I know, the car could very well had an oil leak long before I picked up the car, therefore I would not pay for it. She had since charged $1,425.23 on my credit card which I have filed a dispute with my credit card company.

So there you have it -- Thrifty at Manzanillo airport used deceptive, low rates at Orbitz to lure renters, then charged the higher, normal rate once they showed up. Provided a beat-up junk that had numerous pre-existing mechanical problems through years of traveling the bumpy roads of Manzanillo. And, if something goes wrong as hoped and expected, then charge the renter for the repair costs. Sounds like a classical third world fraud to cheat the tourists.

Te
  2nd of Mar, 2009

I can verify that Thrifty employees lie from personal experience.

Ne
  4th of Nov, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

OUR experiance with Thrifty Car Rental
Very Bad Experiance in KonaHI. We had HHonosr Reward Certificate but they didn'r "recognise" the code, so we had to rent car on the spot. They say on ther website that upgrade is $3.00 we were charged $26.00.Our certificate was accepted after numerous calls, but the whole experiance was very unplesant. I spoke this morning with "custumer service" and you should heard him. It was all our mistake we shoul not signed contract ? but there was no other way to get car, we were told it would be corrected later.
So, never, again we'll rent from them, and I hope you will noth either!

Sd
  14th of Jan, 2011

Do not use Thrifty Car Rental at the San Jose airport in Costa Rica! We had a terrible experience with them over New Year’s week. I hope to save travelers like us from repeating this experience.

We were flying in late from Chicago. Thrifty was aware of our situation. I emailed Thrifty to reconfirm the pickup with flight # and time. They said they would be there to pick us up when the flight arrived. When we arrived in Costa Rica the Thrifty employee was not at the airport. No one answered at the phone # we were given. When waiting outside of the airport for an hour local people were harassing us constantly. I was not sure what to do, but I remembered that the Holiday Inn was near the thrifty office. We were just luck that they had rooms available. We had to stay overnight, since everything was closed at that late hour.

In the morning my husband went to the Thrifty office to find out what happened. Our flight arrived at 11:50pm, 6 minutes late. We got out of customs just after 12:00am. Supposedly, the Thrifty employee left at 12:00am. We were so angry. We asked Thrifty to pay for our hotel stay, which seemed completely fair. They refused. Not only were we stuck in San Jose for the night with a $250 hotel bill, but then Thrifty tells us we have to pay for car insurance of $150. We needed proof of additional car coverage with us, that was their policy.

We have since contacted Thrifty Corporate and they said they cannot help us with reimbursement for the hotel stay. Please think twice about renting with Thrifty. No one wants a wonderful trip to be ruined by a poorly run company like Thrifty!

Hu
  4th of Nov, 2011

I have the same experience in Sarasota Airport Florida Thrifty. We already reserved on-line declining the insurance coverage but uthe counter person added another "optional coverages" without telling me and they asked me to look at the screen shot and sign. I did not see anything on the screen shot except the blank space for signature.
After the fact I complained to the company and all they say is that they WILL NOT do anything because I signed. They are so assertive because they had that planned and this is a way to make money. STOP USING Thrifty!!!