Telkom / telkom not responding to request to cancel line and adsl

South Africa Review updated:

I have sent 3 cancellation requests to Telkom (5 April 2016; 14 June 2016 and 11 July 2016) to cancel my landline and adsl line.
All they do is send an automated response without ever following up. I would like to take up a fibre offer with another supplier and I can't do this until Telkom cancels my contract.
I am month to month with Telkom, it should be an easy process.

I am ready to take them to the consumer complaints board as no supplier can make it difficult to cancel a contract.

Regards,
Graham

Gr
Jul 27, 2016

Comments

• Ki
      Jul 28, 2016

I have had the exact same experience: I submitted a cancellation request (together with all the required documentation) on 11 May 2016. An automated response was received. I then got a bill on 11 June, so emailed to find out the progress. I got the same automated response. On 10 July, I got another bill. I emailed to find out why. And got the same automated response. I went onto the Telkom "Chat" service. There I was told that my line was still active, but the operator could not tell me why, what progress was being made with the termination of the service, or why I had not received any communication from a "consultant". I was, however, advised to pay the bill, which would be reimbursed in retrospect (!) I asked for an email address of an actual person who could help. There apparently is none. I asked for the contact number of the head of the "termination division"; apparently there is no phone number. I was advised to email the generic address. I did so. And got the same automated response.