TD Banknorth / Maintanence fee / Overdraft

1 ME, United States Review updated:

My wife and I have been with TD Banknorth for over 4 years now. We signed up for a free checking account when I started working there as a teller.

4 years later, and now no longer working for them. I still kept my checking through them because I like the free checking account, and they were in a convenient area for me. After dipping down to my last $5.17 cents, and still a few days from pay day I look at my statement and TD Banknorth had a fee on there for 15 dollars, throwing my account into the negatives. Before I could call them the next day, another fee was on there, a 35 dollar overdraft. I was furious.

I called them right away and talked to a real sweet lady who explained to me that this was a "new" thing they were doing to anyone who had their account go under $100. She then said my account was "not supposed" to go into the negatives. They were only supposed to bring my balance to zero. Isn't that great, take my last 5 dollars I have to my name for what? You are already making money off of what I have in there during the month. And how much maintenance do you have to do with money? Does it ever get out of hand? Does it mess up your living room?

When I worked for them all those years ago, they told me not to charge any kind of fees to anyone who had more than 20, 000 dollars in their account. Instead, I had to charge people living from paycheck to paycheck like myself, these stupid fees. Maybe we could have EVERYONE pay the fees, and cut them in half so that people like me, who need the extra money, can live a little more comfortably.

Why TD Banknorth takes from the poor and gives to the rich is beyond me. I'm looking into Credit Unions, and I will never EVER use TD Banknorth for anything...again.

Comments

• Sh
      19th of Oct, 2010

I am so discusted with the overdrafts TD bank charges every pay check.I WENT ON VACATION TO P.R. and went over a dollar when I got back I had an overdraft of $300.00 I advice everyone to close your account at TDbank and find a real bank who cares about their customers. T=TOTAL D= Discrased.Employees all they do is free load coffee from male customers and giggle all day.I even saw one selling candy for her child's school on working hours while the line was almost outside.another TD bank employee told learn how to handle your money if you don't like our overdrafts imgine that!!!

• Ni
      17th of Dec, 2014

This just happened to me. I chose the option not to have overdrafts when I opened my account.. Both my husband and I have a paypal account in which charged my card instead of his. This created over $200. in over draft fees. The transaction should of never went thru. It should of been denied. It is a week and half a way from Christmas and I can not buy the few gifts I wanted to because of this. I make little money so I keep a close eye on my account balance. If I would of known this in the beginning I would of never opened an account with TD Bank!!! I see many others have had the same thing happen to them and they signed a petition. Does any one know where this petition is? Is there anything I can do to fix this? This is totally horrible. Like I said, I make very little money and I work very very hard for that little money. If someone knows there is something I can do, please email me with the info. (Thanks) nickel421970@gmail.com and my name is Nichole.