T-Mobile / overcharging for text messages

If you have signed up for Blackberry bundled data service, you may have also inadvertently allowed t-mobile to charge you for e-mail alerts in form of internal t-mobile text messages at .10C per alert.

Each time you would receive an e-mail, Blackberry's in-box will show you that e-mail. Duplicating this process, T-Mobile than send you an text message alerting you that your in-box has an e-mail and charge you. 10C for such duplicate e-mail. You probably don't need an alert in form a t-mobile text message at the tune of .10c/message when you can simply go to your Blackberry message box and know instantly that you have an e-mail.

Now trying to get t-mobile to stop the text message alerts and get them to credit your account for the unwarranted alerts is near impossible. Both the customer service and technical support team will put you through a ringer before they can ultimately resolve your problems. The enhanced customer service team at the President's Office will only deal with your complaints after the regular customer service team escalates your complaint. Good luck trying to get the regular customer team to escalate the matter to the higher ups.

Very frustrating and disappointing experience.

• Judith Rink's Response, Aug 19, 2018

Please CANCEL my service with them. PLEASE

Va

Comments

24th of Jun, 2007

Mobile solution is a bunch of [censored]ing flaming ### who have no time on their hands but to pound off to wireless service... what ###..

• S
      4th of Mar, 2008

This is simply untrue. With the BlackBerry service, no alerts are used in the internal system to deliver e-mails, are you are not charged anything beyond the monthly price of the BlackBerry Add-On for receiving an unlimited number of e-mails.

It sounds like you had e-mail set up on a different device before switching to the BlackBerry, like a Windows Mobile handset or something similar. When you switch to the BlackBerry, the system messages that other types of phones use seamlessly to tell your phone you have e-mail are coming through visibly and you are being charged for receiving them as text messages.

You would not have been charged for the messages on a different phone because your phone interprets them properly, but your BlackBerry only sees them as text messages. This is where the charges come from, and they are entirely unnecessary.

A tech support representative can easily remove these alerts so they stop. If you've never set up e-mail on a different device, then it may take a little longer to resolve (since this rare issue would need to be forwarded to the Engineering team to resolve), but would still be resolved and the majority of the charges hopefully adjusted.

Sounds to me that the issue you've had is caused by a misunderstanding of the system, from both parties.

16th of Jun, 2008

T-Mobile does not charge for when they send you a text message. You probably went over on your own text messages or did more than you think you did so you need something to blame it on. Text messages from T-Mobile to your T-Mobile phone are free. It might show as a normal text, but they're free. You dunce.

• Tr
      2nd of Apr, 2009

I agree. I got a blackberry and added what I thought was the plan bundle for emails, texts, etc. When I got my bill it was over $200. I looked back and added the $19.99/mo. plan - I guess it is just for international. I changed it to the $24.99 plan. I wrote t-mobile and told them what is going on - and asked them to help me figure out what plan would be best and since this was my first time getting a blackberry package if they would waive the overage fees. They said they couldn't because it was mostly text messages. I don't understand that. That was my whole problem - I know it was texts, emails, etc. that is what I asked about. I just now wrote to the president's office. It probably won't do any good - but I don't know what else to do. A friend of mine got a new phone through A T & T wireless and they went over there minutes. They asked for help about getting a different plan and right away A T & T wrote them back told them what plan was best for them and wiped away all usage charges. After my 2year plan is over - I am going to go to A T & T. At least they are helpful. Tmobile don't help you at all. I can't afford this as my fiance had emergency open heart surgery. They cut my phone off because I haven't paid the bill - and I need the phone in case my fiance has medical problems. I had to wait for 5 days just to get that first answer. I am done with this company after my 2 year contract is up.

• Ty
      5th of Sep, 2018
    T-Mobile USA - cuting my cellphone off for no reason
    Anderson
    South Carolina

i started my new acount on 11/02/2017 the same week they cut my phone off but i have paid my money to start a new acount 6 days before so they need to cut my phone back on its not right for poeple to pay and start a new acount thn 6 days later thay turn off people cellphone

• Wa
      11th of Nov, 2018
    T-Mobile - insurance
    Los Angeles
    California

$ 12 per month Insurance When the phone is broken, changed to me old phone And some of the features of the phone can not use I think they are cheating customers

• Al
      12th of Nov, 2018
    T-Mobile USA - Billing issue//customer service

T-Mobile customer service is horrible they hang up in your face provide promises they don't fulfill they are disengaged and all around rude and mean