T-Mobile / fraud and cheating

United States Review updated:

I purchased three T-Mobile To Go Phones about 6 months ago and have enjoyed their service until a ** Free Message** was broadcast to all 3 of my phones stating that effective 8/15/2006 all incoming text messages would no longer be free, now they eill be charged at a rate of $.05.

This is not as advertised on their website and Terms of Service Agreement (no Contract for TO GO service). This is a classic bait and switch tactic that should not be tolerated. As of this date 7/12/2006 they are still advertising on their website that all incoming text messages are free. This is misleading to all of their potential customers and their current customers.

Since I now have no control over who text messages me and there is no way for them to deactivate the incoming text or restrict it to an approved incoming list, I find this a blatant disregard for my ability to control my T -Mobile Phone expenses. It is not in the same realm as a wrong number to my phone because I have the option of not answering the number if I do not recognize it on my caller id. I purchased these phones under the premise and promise of free incoming messages and an understanding that I would be charged for outgoing only.

When I contacted customer service I was given a fax number and told that the reason there are no phone numbers or email addresses to go further up the corporate ladder was because T -Mobile was well aware of how displeased their To Go customers are going to be over upcoming changes. This stated directly to me by the Customer service Supervisor.

I feel that if T -Mobile To Go insists on going forward with this rate increase, bait & switch then all of the TO GO customers who are affected should be able to return their phones for a refund of the purchase price of the phone and any unused available balance so that we may seek a new carrier that will not advertise a free service only to begin charging us for this service. According to their terms and conditions we are only able to dispute this for the first 14 days otherwise it will be assumed that we agree to the new Terms. So hurry up and disagree T -Mobile To Go Customers!

I am searching for information on if a class action is possible or viable for this blatant scam / Rip - Off.
Va

Comments

Va
  26th of Sep, 2008
We had T-Mobile as a cellular service. After we moved out of state, I advised T Mobile that no service was available within a 35 mile radius, we needed to cancel our service. They checked on the coverage map and agreed. The upshot is, they said okay – billed us for 4 more months in Colorado (where again, there is no service in the mountains). In addition, they charged us over 400.00 in early termination fees! They sent this bill to our old address, then referred us to collections, who have called non stop.

I paid the 1.5 months that would have been due, but refused to pay the other months and fees. I wrote the collection agency as well as T Mobile, and in the letter I formally advised that under no circumstances were they to call the house, or speak with my husband (he has Angina and suffered a heart attack which means try to keep all stress from him). The agency supervisor, a Mrs. Brown, called me and threatened that “You (meaning me) either pay the full amount today, or she would call my house and talk with my husband”. She did so, and caused a three day bed rest for him... I thought it was illegal to charge for early term fee’s if you live outside any nearby coverage, AND, these extra months are crazy. Third, do they have the right after formal notice, to call the house like that? How can I get this resolved? I called T Mobile after the Collections agency calling my husband at home – they said T Mobile has no jurisdiction over the account, as it had been referred to a collection agency’. Is that true? I am at my wits end! My husband is disabled, we live on a fixed income so we cannot just throw money at them to clear this up (especially since its not our debt per the contract), and we followed the rules to cancel the service to begin with. The company that is collecting is very threatening, as the threats pertain to my husbands health. Thanks for any information or advice. I was told to sue the collection agency and t mobile, but that would I think, stress my husband even more...
Is
  19th of Dec, 2008
I am having lots of issues with Tmobile and TLC. First of all, I had to report them to the BBB four times before they sent me my husband's booking request form. Then they called me last week to book a flight for this week, of course I had already purchased the tickets.

Then the representatives proceeded to tell me that they do not have my husband's name in the system, I need to send them the booking request form. I have proof that TLC received the booking request form, it was sent certified mail and they signed for it three months ago.

I reported them to the BBB again and got a call from Elizabeth Powers, I left her two messages and she has not called me back.

This promotion was a scam and someone needs to start a class action. I am in the process of contacting a few class action attorneys to see what can be done. Obviously I'm not the only one having these issues. There are stories all over the internet similar to mine. Tmobile/TLC are running a scam together and all they do is play mind games by telling customers to contact the other one.

There needs to be a class action where even if we cannot get our flights we get compensated from the two year contract we were tricked to sign up for. It is now December 2008, the booking request form expire in March 2009 and TLC wants to send me another booking request from for my husband even though they signed for it three months ago. I still have a copy of the return receipt.
Bo
  25th of Dec, 2008
In August I was offered a choice to upgrade my phone with them, but I chose to wait until they brought out there touch screen phones and was told that my full upgrade discount would still be available. WOW! Was I ever wrong! I went on the website and to upgrade my phone and the prices were more than if I was a new customer. I contacted customer service and was ever so told that since I didn't upgrade in August I missed my chance and that I have to wait 22 months for another chance to upgrade. I have been with this company for over 3 years.
Re
  29th of Dec, 2008
I know an engineer who works in the text messaging part of T Mobile. He has a site he can log on to and just by putting in a cell number, from any carrier, he can pull up that phones text history...full on messages to and from, every word. Now I can understand tech needing to see some history, but I don't see the benefit of them having to see actual messages. Plus, I thought it was not legal for anyone to access your personal messages, at least without consent. This engineer has used his access to track and down right spy on the person he's dating, as well as friends of his lovers. Is he overstepping and using his position out of protocol or policy? Is there anything to be done and to whom?
RP
Jg
  5th of Jul, 2009
thats some b.s. You're a dirty rotten liar and you know it, even then if they told you that you couldnt upgrade, ask for a freaking supervisor...
Mi
  15th of Jul, 2009
I have had so many issues with T-Mobile since SunCom switched over to them. We have unlimited text messaging and they were charging every text message as a phone call...one month a $6, 000 bill another $3, 000 etc. Each time I called, the supervisor assured me it was straight. I had unlimited internet added two months ago and now they are saying I never did and got another whopping bill. Does anyone know if you can get out of the $200 disconnect fee since we have had nothing but trouble with them? They are incompetent!
Gm
  2nd of Sep, 2011
Hey, after visiting a T-Mobile Store my phone was cloned and international calls were made. Maybe someone in the store is involved in the scam. T-Mobile refused to investigate and, since, has charged me for everything but the kitchen sink. Don't use T-Mobile and if they merge with AT&T, don't use AT&T.

T-Mobile USA Logo T-Mobile USA