Swatch / No warranty honor

I bought a Swatch for my wife.

Problem #1: The band broke after about a month. Upon searching the Internet, I was surprised to find that Swatch is well known for providing flimsy bands on many of their watches and of course they don't cover the band in their warranty. I paid for a new band.

Problem #2: The watch lets water in if it gets wet at all. I returned it for repair since it was still under warranty. After a month, they returned the watch, saying it was my fault for scratching the glass. (There is a tiny almost invisible scratch on the glass AND by the way the watch claims to be "water-resistant 30 meters" and "scratch-resistant")

Problem #3: I took the watch to a repairman. He told me that Swatches cannot be repaired because they are glued shut. He also told me that was why my watch was leaking because this is a poor way to water-proof a watch.

In short, Swatch makes pretty watches but they are flimsy and disposable and your typical 2 dollar watch will probably last you longer. If you think the extra money buys you good service, think again. SWATCH does not honor their warranty.

Gr

Comments

• Ol
      17th of Nov, 2010

I totally agree with you!
    My husband bought for me a swatch watch as a birthday present and right after its guarantee expires its glued-shut-impossible-to-open-cover just dropped!
    You are totally right, paying more does not mean that you buy a high quality equipment everytime. And it seems that Swatch watches do not deserve the money we paid at all.

• Ab
      10th of Feb, 2011

I brought a swatch irony diaphane. Its not working properly after 24 months of use. i changed two times battery in show room. I try to repair but they are suggesting to replace with another watch with around 50% of the cost of new one is almost what i purchased before. Now i decided to not to go again for the same brand. Beware of there poor service.

• Cw
      8th of Jul, 2012

I bought a Swatch normal plastic type in Feb from DFO South Wharf. Within 3 months, the battery hatch (plastic casing) cracked. This meant that the battery cover (metal) fell off along with the battery. I took this into Swatch Melb city store for a replacement warranty. They took it back to Swatch Warranty (Glen Iris) to review. Swatch did not honour the replacement as the 'watch case' is not covered by warranty. Honestly, the warranty is not worth the piece of paper it is written on. Less than 3.5 months and a refusal to honour it? Even the shop assistants agreed, but said they could do nothing as the final say was held by the Swatch warranty people. Lesson 1: Avoid Swatches with plastic casing. One good thing about Swatch, they do swap your watch bands for FREE (so buy them off eBay and ask the store people to change them for you).