Suntrust / withholding information

1 P.O. Box 4418 Atlanta GA 303024418, GA, United States
Phone: 800.227.3782

My mortgage was sold to them immediately after we bought 4 1/2 years ago and I have not had a single decent experience with them since. Everything from a simple bill payment to trying to refinance has cost me countless hours on the phone (mostly on hold), money, and frustration.

Initially we had 2 mortgages through them and just trying to make monthly payments was a nightmare. Almost every month they applied payments to the wrong account resulting in either under or over payments which they would mail back to me. I would have to wait for the check to clear, redeposit it and resubmit payment. They would then charge late fees and sometimes I would have to make double payments just to avoid credit issues. This took countless hours on the phone every month to straighten out for almost a year until they finally sold the 2nd mortgage.

I am also eligible to recieve an APR reduction under the Soldiers and Sailors Act because I am currently on active duty orders for deployment. It took over 6 months and countless phone calls for them to finally adjust my rate and payments. After which insteasd of reimbursing the overpayments I made each month just so I wouldn't default, they applied it to the loan without my consent.

Currently I am trying to refinance under the HARP program, which SunTrust advertises widely, but have been given more than the run around. The “system” conveniently transfers me to the wrong department or disconnects my call. I have not received a single return phone call after leaving numerous messages for loan officers. One actually told me that I couldn’t apply for HARP until I contacted the second mortgage lender and received a verbal subordination agreement, which is the responsibility of the first mortgage lender to request in writing only with my consent. I spoke to a “supervisor” who stated that it was not SunTrust’s responsibility to disclose information regarding government loan programs and that it was up to the media to distribute the information and the consumer to ask about it. He stated that my lender should discuss these programs with me, at which point I re-stated that SunTrust is my lender. The latest and most rude experience so far. I was placed on hold several times mid-sentence, told that I needed to be denied modification before I could apply for HARP (which is completely untrue), and was abruptly transferred to an unknown department where I stayed on hold for almost 20 minutes before hanging up.

Consistently, I have been misdirected on every call, been given misinformation by customer service representatives and loan officers who clearly do not have knowledge of the products they sell, dealt with rude employees and after weeks of calling every still have not even been able to apply for the refinance never mind get approved!!

If you have an option don't do business with SunTrust!!! I've been trying to get away from them for 4 years!