Sunset Royal / Sunset Lagoon / Misrepresentation and false statements!

1 Mexico Review updated:

In May, 2007, we vacationed at the Sunset Lagoon, Cancun. While there, we attended a supposedly 90 minute tour which turned into over 5 hours. We were presented with an attractive and enticing timeshare purchase program, along with a guaranteed rental program of our unused weeks to alleviate fees. After entering into the contract, we questioned our sales agent each day of the rental program validity and were continuously assured of its activity. On the 5th day, we went to the office, again to question the program and were unable to discuss with anyone. Upon our return home, we later learned, through questioning Alicia, their customer representative, that there was no rental program. We then requested cancellation and were denied. We appealed to our Visa who then went to Visa International who denied our appeal based on the written contract only. We then heard from Hector, Sunset's attorney, with threats of court action. He then offered a new package. When I requested everything in writing and asked questions, he reneged on the latest offer. In August, R. Silva contacted us and said she was working on our case. We never heard back. In December, we filed a complaint with Profeco and are awaiting response. This episode has tainted the timeshare program and our interest in returning to Cancun or recommending Cancun to anyone we may encounter. There are hundreds of complaints on various websites citing Sunset Royal, Royal Sunset, Sunset Lagoon. If anyone has any successful, please contact the rest of us victims so we might follow. Thanks,

Comments

• Ji
      19th of Mar, 2008

We had a similiar experience in 2004. High pressure sales with the assurance of rental income to offset the timeshare cost and maintenance fee. We are now desperate to get out of this 'deal'!

• Dc
      23rd of Mar, 2008

We have a very similar situation. We purchased a memnership in August '07 and to date have had the same experiences as most; the lies and deception of being able to market the property for investment purposes.

I too have been in contact with R Silva ans well as Elisa Perez . They speak of how eager they are to help me and thats where it all stops.

I ask very direct questins, but few have been addressed. I'm also told they are not purchasing memberships as they said they would if we we're unhappy.

Are there any success stories without being drug through the mud and beaten. I'm not in a position to get an attorney, but do ot want Sunset Group to continue their foolishness.

• Pr
      20th of Nov, 2008

We are in the same situation. Please contact me at prakruti_anand@yahoo.com. Let us all victims work together to stop these people from doing this to other innocent people.

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

• Mi
      8th of Mar, 2011

I have been a member of the Sunset Lagoon for over 15 yrs and I have only been able to use the timeshare about 7 times out of these years. I have found it difficult to set up a date and to communicate with the people running the place.

During these years the simple fees has risen dramatically during these years. But, the service has been going down down and down. I signed up for a Studio Room with a king size bed and a Sofa bed. The room was supposed to have a Jacuzzi in it and when I asked about changing rooms I was “sternly rejected”. We got locked out of our room several times because the patio door would automatically lock.. until after the (3rd) time they fixed it.

Then we would get a horrible odor from the drainage system and we had to complaint about that.. Which all they said was “there wasn’t much they could do”.. so they poured a chemical in the drain pipe. I could never get any good help from the people that are suppose to be there to help with the members. There was a Representive was late for her job and when you spoke with her she had a nasty attitude with anything you asked her.

This was last year and I am hoping that this year it will be better, because I didn’t spend so much money on this time share. People beware there are better deals with trips then buying time shares. If you are from some other country you will be stuck with this time share… I recommend “you don’t do it”.

The one thing I must say is that the workers (maids, cleaning people, servants) are just very humble and hard working people. I wouldn’t complain about them just the one’s that are running the place.

26th of Nov, 2013

I know how you feel, and it seems like this is a common problen in Mexico. I purchased a travel program through Sandos Playacar at Royal Elite Timeshare Resort in Playa del Carmen last March and I requested to cancel within the 5 day grace period but they still have not refunded my down payment of over $9000 US dollars. I have been in touch with people there and they say they are working the process but it takes time. It has now been almost 5 months and I am losing faith they will ever pay me back. This is another forum with more complaints about this company:

I believe we should do something about it, as I understand Mexican regulations forbid the offering of gifts, free vacation certificates or any other promotion strategies without informing the consumer the specific purpose of the offer. I want to complaint with PROFECO about this, and get my money back