Sunset World Resorts & Vacation Experiences Logo

Sunset World Resorts & Vacation Experiences

Having problems with Sunset World Resorts & Vacation Experiences?

1800 262 9648 (Mexico)
1866 377 4890 (United States)
1800 681 6958 (Mexico, RCI Exchange Members)
1800 262 9268 (Mexico, Non-Members)
1800 262 8964 (Mexico, Collections)
+52 998 881 4500 (Customer Service)
+52 998 881 8750 (International)
+1 866 760 1842 (USA, Reservations, Members Only)
+1 800 896 1243 (Canada, Reservations, Members Only)
+1 800 926 5140 (USA & Canada, RCI Exchange Members)
+52 998 251 6013 (RCI Exchange Members)
+1 800 494 9173 (USA & Canada, Non-Members)
+1 800 906 4396 (USA & Canada, Collections)
+1 800 961 6024 (USA & Canada, SHARE Referral Program)
+44 800 047 0967 (United Kingdom, SHARE Referral Program)
+52 998 287 4100 (SHARE Referral Program)
Boulevard Kukulcan Km. 10 Lote 13-B, Zona Hotelera
Cancún
Mexico - 77500

Complaints & Reviews

Terrible place

I was contacted about an inexpensive vacation from Summerbay Reorts. For around $500.00 I was to receive several days at two different Florida resorts, a cruise to the Bahamas, 4 nights in Mexico, and a trip of my choice. When I declined they dropped the price to $249 and I accepted, but I agreed to attend a 90 minute presentation. Later they called me because I hadn't booked a trip and finally I booked the trip to Mexico and I had to pay a few more fees, but it wasn't that much more.

To make a long story short, my wife and I ended up signing a contract to stay at three of the Sunset facilities in Quintana Roo. This was amazing to me because we have always made good decisions and our credit rating is over 755. We really didn't want this deal and it want our kind of place, although we have traveled in Mexico before and loved it. I must say their sales staff has this down to a science. They actually intimidate you with kindness and complements. There were at least 20 to 25 other couples in room with us and I didn't see even one get up and leave without signing. Every couple minutes a champagne cork would pop and everyone would applaud when someone signed. The whole time my gut was telling me not to sign, but I signed anyway.

When we got home we had buyers remorse and decided to do a little research on the internet, we found the same or similar packages for sale, pages of them, from $5000 to $16, 000 for the same resorts as well as for many other resorts. Our package had started out at $87, 500, but to get us to sign they had dropped the price to $47, 000. They kept telling us that if we ever got tired of the package they would buy it back no questions asked. We were told that the memberships appreciated 10% to 15% a year. We also found tons of unhappy customers for a variety of reasons.

The good thing we found on the internet was a Mexican law guaranteeing a 5 day right of recision. When I called the sales manager, Manuel Novelo, he turned from this wonderful person with a delightful sense of humor into an angry man who told us we had signed away our right of recision, and said he would take $25, 000 from us and that he would destroy our credit. When we checked our contract, sure enough, we had signed away our rights. Within an salesperson, Rabah Taright, called and also threatened our credit.

They followed through and we now have a $25, 000 charge on our credit card even though it is illegal to have someone sign away the right of recision. My wife now cries a lot and we both have a hard time sleeping. We feel stupid and humiliated that we let ourselves be taken advantage of this way. They use your best human qualities against you. Their tactics are subtle, but calculated and totally unscrupulous. Beware!

MaryMari Jul 01, 2009

I'm sorry to hear this. Have you tried calling member services? I am currently a member of this resort and they have worked with me in my difficult times. Try calling 800 961 5089. I am sure someone will work with you even if you downgrade your membership to something you can afford and start vacationing again. Vacations are a part of life too and to be honest their resort is very nice.

Timeshare investigations Apr 07, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

Awful company

I purchased the membership with a friend back in MAY of 2008. After paying $1800 for a down payment and all monthly bills i have decided top end my membership because my hours were cut at work and also doing my grad school internship. I have REPEATEDLY called and emailed asking for my membership to be canceled.

A representative explained that i would not receive any money back. Ofocurse i would have hoped i'd be reimbursed but at this point i just want to stop having to pay them and be done with them, while keeping my credit in tact. She told me that i would know the answer in two weeks tops.

WELL, it has been over a month and a half, no reply from ANYONE! I constantly leave voicemails on the voicemail only line and send emails at least 3xs a week (which i have saved)!! Absolutely ridiculous!!! I was told that in order to keep my credit intact i would have to continue to make my monthly payments until a decision is made. THIS IS WHY THEY WONT GIVE ME AN ANSWER!!! They want to continue taking my money.

I have worked very hard to get my credit in good standing and to know that this may effect it is just unfair. Also, the fact that they only have a toll free 1800 number for reservations but not for any customer service/complaints proves they are a rip off. DONT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS ESTABLISHMENT!!!

• Fi
    Fierceone Jul 08, 2009

Diana have you called this number: 800 961 5089? I always get to speak to someone if i have any issues. They have always been helpful so i'm surprised to hear this. Try calling t his number and see, i'm sure they would work with you. Best of luck to you.

Sunset Lagoon RMI Fraud

My husband and I Honeymooned in Cancun, August 18 -August 24, 1997. For several days we were approached at our hotel about attending a no pressure, very quick seminar. It would only last about 90 minutes; they wanted to see what we thought of their resorts Sunset Lagoon and Royal Sunset Lagoon. Finally on August 21, it was rainy day and we thought, why not go; you received a free food voucher. It would only take an hour and a half and maybe the rain would be moved out by then.
From the moment we walked in the sales office of the Sunset Lagoon, we did not feel comfortable. We ended up in a very high pressured sales office, for about 7 hours and about 30 tables of other sales people pressuring other customers to purchase the timeshares just like us. It was very, very loud and confusing; they kept throwing all sorts of numbers at us, starting at something like $30, 000.00. We kept saying we were not interested, and Mr. Marroquin kept saying that we could rent out our timeshare every year and make big money, or we could vacation ourselves. We were also told that Sunset Lagoon would at any time, take back our timeshare if we were unable to keep the commitment. He wanted us to know it was a great way to make extra income for one week a year, and that we could trade anywhere in the world with others that were members o RCI. We kept trying to leave and he kept at us, after 7 hours and we were tired we got up to leave and he came at us with a price of $6450.00, we could pay a down payment of half and pay the remaining out over a two year period. So we were stupid and signed the dotted line, knowing we had 5 days to cancel.
We returned to Nashville on the 24th of August and decided to go on to the computer and find out more information about the resort and the company. Yikes! I started reading about many, many fraud cases and broken promises, naming Sunset Lagoon. We were sick.
I immediately wrote a cancellation letter and put a call in to Mr. Marroquin, to also cancel. I had one day of my five days of cancellation back. I sent it registered to the Miami address on August 25, 1997.
A few days later we finally received a call back from Mr. Marroquin, I explained I had sent the cancellation letter on the 25th and that we wanted a refund as soon as possible. He asked that we send a copy of the contract to him with cancel written on it, so we did. He would get back to us in a few days.
After I did not hear from him for several days, after leaving repeated messages, he finally gave us a return call stating that the board of directors declined our cancellation, that we were legally bound because of the letter not arriving in the 5 days. I could go on and on about the phone calls and letters sent. In the end we sought an attorney's help here in the US and because this took place in Mexico we were told we could just not pay or ruin our credit and pay it.
I again spoke with Mr. Marroquin, that we felt like we had been taken and treated very unfairly. A few days later, he phoned and stated that the board of directors had agreed that we would be obligated to pay the remaining total due, however we were able to cancel the contract as long as we paid the balance and that Sunset Lagoon would take it back from there and we would be relieved of our contract once paid the remaining balance of $3223.00. Well, not wanting to hurt our credit, plus I just gave up and so tired of dealing with it. We paid our full commitment, then in 1999, when we made our last payment wrote another letter, stating their agreement. I have never heard another word from them, not a! Then on February 19, 2009, ten years later, we received a threatening letter from a company called RMI. They are stating we have a balance of $5421.56, for dues. Guess I have to get an attorney again. Please people, be cautious.

• Me
    Melenafrank Jul 01, 2009

This sounds like it could be a mistake in their system. Have you called member services? Do you have any documentation of the agreement? Try calling this # 800 961 5089. This is the # i call when i have any questions adn they've always been nice and helpful. Good luck on everything.

MaryMari Jul 01, 2009

I have a cousin that has a timeshare with this resort and she bought it years ago. She's never had any complaints tho but she also does vacation every year 3-4 times if not more. I think it's definitely for people that feel vacation is a must. It should be for everyone but some are luckier than others. She did say it's better than staying in hotels and you know what to expect. She brags about the beauty of this resort too so not sure she'll be selling hers anytime soon.

fraud

on january 31 my wife and i signed a timeshare with this company on feb 2 my wife sent an email canceling said contract. and we sent a regestered letter to the address in the united states. well they charged my credit card anyways. this morning i recieved a call from the man who signed us up. and he threatened us with turning us in to a collection agency. i explaned to him that i followed mexican law and canceled this contract but he told me that they never recieved it till feb 12. but i told him that i had proof that someone signed for the letter on feb 5 at his office in miami. still he threatened turning us in to a collection agency all i want is to get back my deposit and terminate this contract

Time Share Lies, Fraud and Deception

Since our story is similar to hundreds of others that can be found on the internet, I will try to be brief. While on vacation celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary with our 2 young children; we were approached upon our arrival at the airport in Cancun and offered free attraction tickets in return for a $40 deposit and listening to a 90 minute time share presentation at Sunset Fishermans Village in Playa Del Carmen.

They picked us up at our hotel and held us hostage for 7 hours of lies and high pressure sales tactics at their beautiful, small (and curiously uninhabited) resort with a view of the island of Cozumel. We were "guaranteed" a good investment, rental income and easy availability. They even threw in a 2 year membership to RCI and 4 RCI bonus weeks! We in return, threw away $14, 000 of our hard earned money. Please - don't send any comments telling us how stupid we are - we know!

In October of 2007 we attempted to reserve any winter week in 2008 and were told that there was absolutely no availability until May. We were offered a studio for one week (when we had purchased a one bedroom) or "mandatory all inclusive" in Cancun. The studio was out of the question with 2 kids and their all inclusive in Cancun (not Playa Del Carmen where we had bought) was way overpriced. We could have gone to a 5 star all inclusive for less money!

Our calls and emails have been mostly ignored by Sunset Group. A letter from our attorney was also ignored. We have filed a complaint with Profeco, the government agency who act as mediators. Profeco will have 3 meetings with the company in Mexico before closing the file (possibly as unresolved). The first meeting took place on November 4th but we were not invited. Sunset Group made us an "offer of cancelling our contract without a refund, we have declined their offer. They are now threateaning us with a US collection agency for 2008 maintenance fees when we were refused a reservation in 2008!

We have contacted Mastercard, RCI, the Mexican Embassy in Canada and the Canadian Embassy in Mexico since we beleive that they all have a duty and obligation to warn tourists about Sunset Group and it's fraudulent practices.

Has anyone had any success with obtaining a refund from these banditos? Is a class action possible (from Canada) and has anyone had any success with obtaining a refund outside of the 5 day waiver period? Please constructive responses only...thanks.

• Vi
    VianneyC May 25, 2013

Thanks for the advice. If you ever come back to Playa del Carmen, I'd suggest you NOT to stay at Sandos. They also use deceitful tactics to sell timeshares, and they would do anything for you to sign the contract. This is another forum with more complaints made on Royal Elite Timeshare sales tactics:

Jane78 May 30, 2013

It seems like timeshare scams in Playa del Carmen are the order of the day- I was ALMOST scammed by Royal Elite/Sandos Playacar. They convinced us to attend the presentation, but of course we just wanted the free gifts, but as soon as we said we were not interested, they treated us like garbage. My husband had to call the police, because they basically wouldn't let us go without signing the contract. NO MORE timeshares presentations for me. This is a forum from with more complaints made to this company:

timeshare

Since the time that I posted my complaint on this site I would like to say that my fiance, myself and Sunset Group have reached a mutual agreement in which we are all satisfied with.

Sanaa216 Jul 08, 2009

this is great to hear Elizabeth! I had a friend that owned a timeshare with Sunset group and she was very happy with them. She said they were very accomodating.

• Br
    Brittany Smith Nov 18, 2013

I know how you feel, and it seems like this is a common problen in Mexico. I purchased a travel program through Sandos Playacar at Royal Elite Timeshare Resort in Playa del Carmen last March and I requested to cancel within the 5 day grace period but they still have not refunded my down payment of over $9000 US dollars. I have been in touch with people there and they say they are working the process but it takes time. It has now been almost 5 months and I am losing faith they will ever pay me back. This is another forum with more complaints about this company:

I believe we should do something about it, as I understand Mexican regulations forbid the offering of gifts, free vacation certificates or any other promotion strategies without informing the consumer the specific purpose of the offer. I want to complaint with PROFECO about this, and get my money back

Terrible company

They have taken money without providing. All i saved for to take my disabled son on a life long trip i...

Dishonest timeshare scam

My fiancé and I were suckered into purchasing a "vacation package/timeshare" and absolutely can't...

Scam and fraud!

June of 2007 we purchased a time share from the Grupo Mayan, we decided to take advantage of our investment...

Won't honor contract!

In December 2007 we received a FAX from Orlando FL regarding an all-inclusive vacation package to Mexico. We booked a vacation after first asking if there was a time-share presentation involved with this package and was told that there was not. After paying for the vacation we were contacted and told of more charges for the vacation which in the end the vacation was 146% of the original amount. The company that booked us might not be a part of Sunset Group/VIP Travel but they could have discontinued working with them.

Thinking that everything was final we were contacted again and told that we must attend a time-share presentation during our stay in Cancun . We were booked into the Ocean Club and the time-share 90-minute presentation would be with the Sunset Group/VIP Travel company. We were told that if we didn’t attend the presentation we would be charged the full amount for the vacation.

The presentation after getting into the 5th hour was getting very tiring, even though they were not rude or anything similar ton that. They got down to a $4000 USD package which I thought might be ok and knowing that we could cancel our contract and fearing that we would get charged the full amount for our vacation if we just walked out signed. Our contract no. is 28 9-4630 which we signed February 19, 2008 and is paid in full.

Upon arriving home on the 4th business day after signing we sent Sunset Group/VIP Travel a letter by e-mail, which is legal under Mexican law, telling them that we according to the terms of the contract were canceling the contract and wanted a full refund. They responded be trying to convince us to remain with them and in later correspondence told us we signed a waiver, which is illegal under Mexican law, that waived our right to cancel the contract.

We filed a form, with all the required information required, with Profeco which is an Agency of the Mexican Government to help and protect people in situations like we find ourselves.

Lately we have been ignored when contacting them so have now decided to let as many people know about their unethical and illegal conduct. Also if anyone is working together or wants to work together to resolve similar situations contact me at [protected]@swwnet.com. There are also web sites that can be found to help by searching for ‘Mexican time share fraud’, ‘Mexican time shares’ or something similar.

David May 06, 2008

This post is in response to my original post about Sunset Group/VIP Travel.

The misunderstandings have been resolved to our benefit in an amicable way.

• Bt
    B Taylor Dec 05, 2013

Fraud and dishonesty!

Sunset Group - Royal Fishermam, Playa Del Carmen Mexico BUYER'S BEWARE !!! Do not purchase a time share...

Misrepresentation and false statements!

In May, 2007, we vacationed at the Sunset Lagoon, Cancun. While there, we attended a supposedly 90 minute tour which turned into over 5 hours. We were presented with an attractive and enticing timeshare purchase program, along with a guaranteed rental program of our unused weeks to alleviate fees. After entering into the contract, we questioned our sales agent each day of the rental program validity and were continuously assured of its activity. On the 5th day, we went to the office, again to question the program and were unable to discuss with anyone. Upon our return home, we later learned, through questioning Alicia, their customer representative, that there was no rental program. We then requested cancellation and were denied. We appealed to our Visa who then went to Visa International who denied our appeal based on the written contract only. We then heard from Hector, Sunset's attorney, with threats of court action. He then offered a new package. When I requested everything in writing and asked questions, he reneged on the latest offer. In August, R. Silva contacted us and said she was working on our case. We never heard back. In December, we filed a complaint with Profeco and are awaiting response. This episode has tainted the timeshare program and our interest in returning to Cancun or recommending Cancun to anyone we may encounter. There are hundreds of complaints on various websites citing Sunset Royal, Royal Sunset, Sunset Lagoon. If anyone has any successful, please contact the rest of us victims so we might follow. Thanks,

• Ji
    Jim Mar 19, 2008

We had a similiar experience in 2004. High pressure sales with the assurance of rental income to offset the timeshare cost and maintenance fee. We are now desperate to get out of this 'deal'!

• Dc
    dct117 Mar 23, 2008

We have a very similar situation. We purchased a memnership in August '07 and to date have had the same experiences as most; the lies and deception of being able to market the property for investment purposes.

I too have been in contact with R Silva ans well as Elisa Perez . They speak of how eager they are to help me and thats where it all stops.

I ask very direct questins, but few have been addressed. I'm also told they are not purchasing memberships as they said they would if we we're unhappy.

Are there any success stories without being drug through the mud and beaten. I'm not in a position to get an attorney, but do ot want Sunset Group to continue their foolishness.

• Pr
    prakruti anand Nov 20, 2008

We are in the same situation. Please contact me at [email protected] Let us all victims work together to stop these people from doing this to other innocent people.

• Mi
    Mimi213 Mar 08, 2011

I have been a member of the Sunset Lagoon for over 15 yrs and I have only been able to use the timeshare about 7 times out of these years. I have found it difficult to set up a date and to communicate with the people running the place.

During these years the simple fees has risen dramatically during these years. But, the service has been going down down and down. I signed up for a Studio Room with a king size bed and a Sofa bed. The room was supposed to have a Jacuzzi in it and when I asked about changing rooms I was “sternly rejected”. We got locked out of our room several times because the patio door would automatically lock.. until after the (3rd) time they fixed it.

Then we would get a horrible odor from the drainage system and we had to complaint about that.. Which all they said was “there wasn’t much they could do”.. so they poured a chemical in the drain pipe. I could never get any good help from the people that are suppose to be there to help with the members. There was a Representive was late for her job and when you spoke with her she had a nasty attitude with anything you asked her.

This was last year and I am hoping that this year it will be better, because I didn’t spend so much money on this time share. People beware there are better deals with trips then buying time shares. If you are from some other country you will be stuck with this time share… I recommend “you don’t do it”.

The one thing I must say is that the workers (maids, cleaning people, servants) are just very humble and hard working people. I wouldn’t complain about them just the one’s that are running the place.

charlesb12 Nov 26, 2013

Terrible experience!

I vacationed in Cancun over Christmas and was approached on December 27th, 2007 at a shopping mall to attend a no pressure- quick 90 minute seminar at the hotel Sunset Lagoon and Royal Sunset Lagoon. Having never attended a time share sales pitch, I didn't know what to expect. It was a rainy day and I thought ‘why not, I will be back to my resort with an hour and a half. I was shown the resorts and they looked nice so I asked how much? Big Mistake!

From the moment I walked in the sales office of the Royal Sunset Cancun I did not feel comfortable. I ended up in a very high-pressured sales office for 6 hours surrounded by about 25 tables with sales people pressuring other customers to purchase the time shares. It was so loud in the office and numbers were being thrown at me like crazy. It was very overwhelming. The first offer was 68 thousand dollars. I kept saying no I was not interested and was bombarded with promises of making $1700.00 a week for the times I would not be able to use the timeshare and was assured that Sunset Group would Buy back my timeshare at full value if I decided to sell. I kept refusing and they kept throwing numbers at me. The price dropped to $16,000 U.S. By the end of 6 hours I was exhausted and just wanted to leave. I handed over my Visa, they charged my account $8000 U.S. and I left there feeling like I made a big mistake.

I returned to Toronto on the 29th of December and decided to log on the computer to read more about the resort and the company. To my Horror I started reading about multiple fraud charges and broken promises regarding Sunset Group. Needless to say I felt sick.

I immediately wrote a cancellation letter exorcising my right to cancel within the 5 day period and sent it to their Miami address on December 31st, 07 by Purolator overnight delivery. I also sent copies of the letter at the same time to Cancun. A couple of days later I received a call from Lily Espinosa from the Cancun Office and I advised her I wanted out of my contract and have my Visa Card credited back. She asked that I send her copies of the letter and the Purolator receipts with proof I sent cancellation within the 5 day cancellation period. I sent the copies immediately to Lily via email and she confirmed they received the letters and she would get back to me.

After several attempts to contact Lily I finally got a hold of her she advised I would have to wait to hear a decision from the Board of Directors who would be meeting on Feb 6th, 2008 and they would review my request. She promised she would give me a call back on Feb 7th and assured me I should not have a problem in getting my credit card refund.

I did not get a call from Lily on Feb 7th and left several messages for her to call me back. I was finally able to get a hold of Lily on Feb 8th and she advised me I would be credited a full refund on my Visa. I asked Lily to please send me an email with confirmation that I would be getting a refund. I have not received the email from Lily.

I will keep you informed of my progress.

• Sc
    Scammed2 Jun 04, 2008

We were ripped off as well. Were you able to resolve?

JOHANN MASTROPIERO Nov 19, 2008

DUE AL RESPECT, YOU CANCELLED ON OTHERS PEOPLE PERCEPTION, YOU DIDNT HAVE ANY REASON, YOU EVEN TRIED IT.
    OF COURSE THEY WONT GIVE ALL THE ATTENTION TO A CANCELLATION, IN THEIR PLACE, I THINK YOU WONT NEITHER.
    I VE BEEN MEMBER SINCE FOUR YEARS AGO OF THIS COMPANY AND I AM VERY PLEASED.
    SIR, FIRST USE IT AND THEN YOU COMPLAINT.
    THE MOST OF THE COMPLAINTS ARE MADE FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOU, IS NAMED BUYERS REMORSE, DON T PLAY INOCENT POOR BABY.
    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, MY NATIVE LANGUAGE IS ITALIAN.

• Me
    Melenafrank Jul 01, 2009

Sorry to hear this Harry. Timeshares are for people who want to live a certain lifestyle...you know "live the life." they aren't bad since you know what you're getting. I stayed at a 4 star resort one time and of course had high expectations. To my dismay i arrive and the rooms are crappy! This is where timeshares come into play. I have seen sunset's resorts and they are simply breathtaking. I'm not sure i can 'afford them now due to this never-ending recession but hopefully one day i want to be able to vacation more than once a year.

charlesIV Nov 01, 2009

Me and my wife went through the presentation but I am lucky to be stubborn enough to say no a thousand times for 6 hours straight. I cannot understand why anyone would defend this organization. I caught them in lie after lie and half truths all day. I just insisted on reviewing the actual contract line-by-line and comparing it to what they said we would get. I made a separate post with many of the lies listed. We didn't sign any contracts because I concluded they were complete thieves.

Melanafrank, you better do your homework first. I've seen the resort too. But the contract they tried to get me to sign did NOT include the resort they showed me. Read the contract, the one they showed me was 4 pages of requirements I must follow especially related to payments, and one paragraph about what they provide, which is very little and very vague. The two resorts I rented at for the last several years in Cozumel also had time-share people and we talked to them. The time-share people paid MORE than I did to stay at the same resort, eat the same food, and enjoy the same amenities. They were NOT happy.

And, Johann Mastropiero, I tried to get a one-time 'rental' at the facility, Tres-Rios, for a week to try it before I bought it. They absolutely refused to even consider it. You HAVE to join and sign your life away to "try-it" and then you are stuck with the contract.

I would discourage everyone from agreeing to participate in the 90 minute 'presentation'. If you do, say NO or that you want to take the unsigned contract home to review with a lawyer first. Any reputable company would let you do that. In my case it was 6 hours long of VERY high pressure sales. 3 sales people tag-teamed all day. And you will feel "captive". At some points I wanted to just pay to get out of there. It was very stressful but I got out of there without signing any contracts.

www.sunsetscam.com

TimeShare rip off giants!

We purchased a timeshare at Sunset Fisherman Resort after a grilling. We later however canceled within the...

Scam and cheating!

In July, 2004 I visited Sunset Fisherman's Village and was presented with an investment timeshare opportunity based on misleading and completely fraudulent information. I purchased a studio and a package consisting of 1 personal-use week and 3 VIP weeks to be used solely as rental weeks. At the time of purchase I was assured that the purpose of the package I purchased was to expose prospective buyers to the properties via weeks that would be rented out on my behalf from a partner company Vacation Weeks". I was told several times that the rental rates are near 100% and that I would be renting for profit. I was also told on numerous occasions that Sunset would be willing to repurchase the property if things did not work out as promised. There has not been a single rental on my timeshare or VIP weeks. I have contacted both Sunset Group and Vacation Weeks on multiple occasions to try to resolve the issue. I have never received any calls or email responses back from either Sunset Group or Vacation Weeks. I was made aware, from Profeco and industry contacts, that these sorts of delay tactics are deliberate in an effort to ensure that the consumer protection window expires. I have also learned from [redacted] that Vacation Weeks places a much higher priority on the process of adding clients/properties to their pool and less priority/effort managing the process to rent or sell those clients' properties, which was not disclosed at the Sunset sales presentation. Another victim of Sunset's fraud indicated on RIP-OFF that it is highly unlikely that my Sunset Fisherman Village VIP weeks would be rented and that "never" made at the prices quoted during the sales presentation. Sunset Group employs deceptive and totally misleading sales tactics and what I was sold is surely not a realistic investment option as Sunset Group presented. During the sales presentation at Sunset Fisherman's Village I was very clear and concerned about using a time share as an investment tool. I spent hours in lengthy discussion with the sales team (Patricia and others throughout the afternoon), with them ensuring me that this was a "guaranteed" investment opportunity and continually walked around showing several binders of checks issued to purchasers. They also indicated on several occasions that the rental rate for my VIP weeks was almost 100%. Rafael the Chief Executive V.L.O spent a great deal of time reassuring me about the rental opportunities and insisted that if Vacation Weeks did not fulfill their commitments, that Sunset Group would assist. They promised that they would repurchase the package, at the current sales value, if things didn't work out as promised. I have retained a lawyer and have sent numerous inquiries to have the contract canceled and my money refunded. I just want to make sure the Sunset Group does not continue with its blatant misleading and completely false sales tactics.

David sacramento, California.

• Je
    Jessica Feb 02, 2009

Shell Vacations Club is a RIP OFF.

We need more people to stand up together and get stronger. shell vacation victim please join my communite forum at http://antishellvacation.com

Why would someone pay $400 a night with Shell Vacations Club points when you can stay at the same Hotel for $150 by booking with Expedia or other website. The economy is in real bad shape and we should let current owner NOT TO PURCHASE MORE POINTS AND MAKE SURE OTHER PEOPLE DO NOT GET SCAMMED ON THIS RIP OFF.
    Do not get fooled by FAKE positve comments made by Shell Vacations employees. Read what current pissed owners have to say about.

www.sunsetscam.com

Refusal to terminate contract within five day termination period

I fell for the story about perpetual rental of half of my weeks purchased, as well as the line that the resort company will buy my unit back for at least my purchase price but probably more than my purchase price after a few years because property values in Cancun go up ten percent or more per year.

After purchasing, I read the contract closely and figured out that all the promises were just that, there were no guarantees in the contract.

I noticed clause 12 which allows for termination of contract with credit of all monies paid if done within five days. I hand delivered a letter three days after signing the contract and was surrounded by salesmen who said I had waived my right to terminate because of the rental agreement.

The resort refuses to refund my money and terminate my contract, they have agreed to downgrade and reduce my cost but I feel that because of the five day termination clause I should get all my money back.

I'm getting the run-a-round because I'm back in the US and they are in Mexico.

I've contacted Profeco and my credit card company and am hopeful that all will end well.

Get scammed and never get our money back!

As a Mexican American, I feel very ashamed and angry at these people that are doing so much harm to Mexico, with their perverse commercial behavior, as we have learned that we are not the only ones that have suffered the deceiving treatment of the VIP Travel Club and/or the Sunset Lagoon Resort. I think it is time for the Mexican Government to stop once and for all this Company, and for the international tourism to be aware of these malpractices when visiting Mexico, especially Cancun.

These persons contact exclusively the international tourists that arrive to Cancun, even at the airport or at the car rental facilities, where they have agents to do so. It seems that their purpose is that of deceiving people that, once in their own countries, will find it very difficult to pursue the reimbursement of the money they invested on this fraudulent timeshare.

On Sunday May 28 of 2006 I and my family attended a timeshare presentation at the Sunset Lagoon Resort in Cancun, Mexico at 10:00 am. After a way longer-than 90 minute-presentation and declining to buy a timeshare property, Mr. Mario Davila and Mr. Julio Fernandez, both employees of the Sunset Group, offered to us a special promotion which they explained to us as including a total of 20 weeks that could be exchanged through RCI or Interval International, and also included unlimited weeks in the resorts belonging to the Interclub through the VIP Travel Club, to be used within the next ten years. They explained that we would have to pay a yearly membership fee to the VIP travel club and a maintenance week would have to be paid only when any of the unlimited weeks is used during high season. Mr. Fernandez and Mr. Davila also assured us that the 20 exchangeable weeks could be deposited in RCI or Interval International for exchange for cruises. We confirmed the details and restrictions with them several times, before considering buying. The above package had a price of $5,000.00 USD. At about 5:00 PM, tired and after a day of being harshly pushed to buy, we accepted to what we thought was a good deal, then, they rushed us to reading and signing the contract, however we did ask for clarification in the statements that were unclear and they “clarified” those points to us, explaining how it fit with what they had told us. They even issued us a credit card to make the down-payment of $2,716.09 that same day.

Mr. Julio Fernandez gave us his e-mail address as well as a cell phone number telling us to contact him if needed.

In mid-September I called the VIP Reservations Office in order to exchange one of the weeks for a Cruise through RCI, but the customer service representative explained to me that that was impossible since we do not own a timeshare property we cannot do an exchange through RCI, that we could only use the weeks that the VIP travel club has available on their website, and for those we would have to pay a reservation fee, regardless of whether the week is reserved for high or low season. The 20 weeks that were offered to us do not exist; instead they provided 10 corporate weeks to be used in the Sunset Lagoon Resort in Cancun only when an all-inclusive plan is purchased.

On September 26th, I tried to call Mr. Fernandez’s cell phone with no answer, sent him an e-mail requesting an explanation, with no answer as well.

On September 30th I called the Sunset Lagoon Resort trying to contact him, with no success, therefore, I requested to speak with Mr. Mario Davila as well as his supervisor, Mr. Julio Mayer. Both of these men said that we had misunderstood what they sold us and they could not cancel our contract or give us any money back. Mr. Davila assured us that he was going to talk to Mr. Fernandez and call us back on Tuesday, October 3rd, but we never received a call back. Right now, we are still trying to get our money back.

• Mi
    Milton May 13, 2008

I too just visited Cancun and went on one of the 90 min (8 hour) tours and almost finalized a contract with Lagoon Sunset Group. When I had questions about the contract which read differently than what I had been told by the salesman, I became very suspicous and decided not to finish signing the paperwork or the receipt from my credit card. The salesman then tried to pitch me many other options for one of these great deals they were offering. I told them that I am not signing anything until I spoke with my lawyer and asked for my receipt back since it wasn't signed. The salesman became very irate at the fact that I didn't want to finalize the deal and actually insulted me and told his team to get them people out of here "we don't need their kind here". This is nothing but a scam but I am curious as to how you file a complaint with the Mexican authorities about companies like this one. I am going to do my research and file a complaint but in the mean time if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. My suggestion to anyone who is offered a tour is DO NOT GO!

Daissy123 Mar 17, 2010

Got taken for a ride by this people its been 5 years never got my money back

Daissy123 Mar 17, 2010

This company is been doing this for many many years and nowone in the US would take attention of the matter because of our own legal system doesnt allow to go after them.

• So
    Sophie M Jun 25, 2013

I'm sorry to hear about that, The Sunset Group, along with Mayan Palace and the Royal Elite timeshare resorts are particularly known for using misleading and fraudulent timeshare sales tactics. Therefore, next time, before you purchase (if you ever do) you need to think carefully how you will use it in your life, and if you have the money to spend; take your time and don´t make any commitments on your first visit. Also, don’t forget to do an internet search on the company, and if the company is legit they will let you come back another day if you wish to make de purchase. This is a forum with more complaints made on these companies:

Perpetual deed is a rip-off!

I also have experienced dealing with Resorts International Marketing. After upgrading our membership for the 3rd time to a 2 bedroom suite/Master suite with a perpetual deed at the Royal Sunset, I was talked into paying the the $549 so they could rent out 3 out of our 4 weeks. This started in May 2005. I had contacted them and even had them drop the price from their advertised price of $2399/week to $1999/week.......I even tried to go lower but they wouldn't let that happen??? Needless to say, they have never rented a week for us.

I am really curious about this perpetual deed. I am afraid I would never get near the money that I have put into it. I originally purchased the studio for about $6500 in 1996. By 2001, I had the 2 bedroom suite and $14000 invested....but this was to expire in 2020. So the Royal Sunset said in order not to lose my privileges in 2020, they were offering a perpetual deed...(for life) which could be passed on to children.. I now have $50,000 invested and would just like to know if there is anybody that had purchased this perpetual deed or knows anything else about how the Sunset Group handles this. I can tell you in the contract, the Sunset Group reserves the right to buy your deed back. So, my wife e-mailed them and they said they do not buy them back anymore, we are free to sell to whomever. If anybody is in the same boat or has info please respond.

• Valerie Jan 29, 2007

Spent over 7 hours at a timeshare presentation and finally succumbed to the one of the various offers for one week every other year requiring all inclusive. I left a deposit of $749 on my credit card and signed a contract for the balance of $15000. As soon as I returned to the US I sent a certified letter to them cancelling this contract and a copy of the letter to Profeco specifying the cancellation. It was done and received within the correct time period. I wanted my money credited to my card and the contract cancelled. I also signed away interest in another timeshare and requested that be reinstated. These were mailed on January 3, 2007. I have not heard any response from the resort. There are several complaints on the internet regarding this resort. DO NOT FALL for the scam.

• Wi
    withheld Apr 24, 2008

It has been 4 months now and I'm getting emails from the SUNSET GROUP that we have not paid our monthly payments since January, yet our Master Card statement shows withdraws of $800 each month. My wife is sike to her stomach about this whole thing but what can we do? I would like to cancel the deal with Sunset after reading all the complaints on the internet. We haven't tried booking our vacation yet and I'm begining to wonder if it will even happen OR if it will be SAFE for me to take my children to our timeshare at Fishermans Village. I was given strong tequilla at the time and we were stuck there for over 5 hours. I really think we were scammed but what can we do now? We need help to fight this. I am worried that if I start a process of dispute that it will get real nasty and we will never be able to use the time share if we can't cancel. They already have $25, 000 of ours. What do we do???

I will read this post again to see if any help is available. Only then will I provide my email.

• Ka
    Kathydias Jul 01, 2009

Lynda and Witheld-have you tried calling member services? I have been to their resort and really liked it so i bought one week. I have called member services several times. They have been very helpful. The number i call is 800 961 5089. Good luck, i'm sure they will work with you, you are their customer after all.

• Td
    tdjo1978 Nov 22, 2011

Oh Lord, I am scared to death! My husband and I just returned today from Cancun, Royal Sunset. We went on the sales tour and spent 6 hours debating the pros and cons. Everytime we stated a con or a "what if", they had the perfect answer...in theory. At the very 1st sign that my husband was about to cave in, they jumped on it. They had our ID's from an earlier question the mgr was "trying to answer for us" regarding a "lifetime" deal. They also had my credit card bc they have to "verify" that you have brought it, just in case you purchase the non-obligated product. Anyway, they came back with a bunch of papers for us to start signing. The very 1st page stated something about "every 5th year, an extra maintenance fee will be charged to help cover renovations". My husband quickly jumped on that & became really upset. I was in tears. I said, can't we just get our stuff back. My husband told them that we wanted our ID's back & the credit card information because they had not told us all of the details, and we were not ok with being deceived. In a blur of me being upset & crying, my husband being mad & wanting us to leave, there were 3 different salesmen trying to find a solution to please my husband, Im not sure how we ended up just going ahead and signing the initial papers. We wanted to leave, but they had our stuff & we sure wasn't going to leave without our ID's & credit information! Anyway, a 4th person came out, a lady, who already had a contract written up & completed. I think while we were waiting on the mgr to "ask the developer about making this 25 yr term a lifetime deal", he had this woman writting up the contract before we ever even said we were on board. I feel like we were both beat into submission to sign this stupid deal with this vacation club. No matter what I said or asked about realistic scenario, they offered up a hypothetical unrealistic answer that sounded good. Anyway, this contract was signed Nov 18, 2011. We just got home today, Nov 21, 2011. I am mailing 2 certified letters to this company stating that we want to terminate the contract within our 5 day period that is stipulated in the contract. I plan on paying however much I have to pay to get these letters delivered ASAP. I am doing what the contract tells me to do as far as terminating the contract, and if they don't cooperate, our credit cards will be blocked and I will try to find an attorney who might be able and willing to deal with these people in Mexico. I might have to fight, but I am going to fight as hard as I can to keep them from taking anymore money from us. We work hard for what we have & I will not let some pushy and overpowering, manipulative lying salesmen take away my hard earned money. I am terrified that I am going to lose & have to pay this $15, 000. I hope it doesnt get bad enough that I file bankruptcy just to keep them away from my assets!

• So
    Sophie M Jul 02, 2013

I'm sorry about that, The Sunset Group, along with Mayan Palace and the Royal Elite timeshare resorts are particularly known for using misleading and fraudulent timeshare sales tactics. Therefore, next time, before you purchase (if you ever do) you need to think carefully how you will use it in your life, and if you have the money to spend; take your time and don´t make any commitments on your first visit. Also, don’t forget to do an internet search on the company, and if the company is legit they will let you come back another day if you wish to make de purchase. This is a forum with more complaints made on these companies:

• Td
    tdjo1978 Jul 02, 2013

We were not naïve to timeshares during out visit to Cancun. We were however, unfamiliar with Sunset. We were also unfamiliar with timeshares in another country. Thankfully, with the help of Profeco (who actually went to a hearing on our behalf against Sunset), we were able to have this contract voided. There were several months of fighting on our part, but we are so glad it is over now. We would never have signed the contract if they did not have possession of our ID's & credit card. In hindsight, I really felt like we were technically held captive until we gave in...I don't know how much of a scene we would have had to have caused to get our stuff back without putting our name on the dotted line. It was truly a learning experience...especially in dealing with international affairs. No offense to anyone from Mexico, we love the country & will vacation there again, but I will never hand my personal effects to anyone again...fo ANY reason

Jane78 Dec 27, 2013

Lose our money and peace of mind!

Our first visit to Mexico and our first timeshare presentation turned out to be a horror story for our...

They lied to us twice!

My husband and I contracted to purchase a unit only if we could sell the timeshare we were staying in at the Mayan Palace.
The sales person insisted he could help with this and we could use the proceeds to pay for a unit at the Fisherman. They agreed to take the Mayan for Tax rebate and return it to us to sale with vacationweeks.com. Helen Mosello for a fee of $529. Four days later we decided to cancel the conract. We went back to the Fisherman and was told we could not cancel because our Mayan Palace had already been use by them for tax purposes. Helen Mosello is not available only the answering service. We are currently out of $6500 with $15695 due. They lied to use twice. I want this contract cancelled and all monies returned. I tried to cancel in the legal time frame.

• Hi Diane and Cristine,
    We would really appreciate if you give us the opportunity to contact you and clarify your issues with our firm, as the personnel for Gonzalez & Gonzalez is highly trained and supervised; and we can assure you that none of our customers have been attacked in any way.
    Looking through the files and data base of our company we do not show any record under the name of ¨Diane Jersey¨ and/or ¨Cristine ----¨, who are the people complaining and defaming against the firm.
    After 15 years of experience we knew some day this will happen, being conscious of this we back up ourselves by recording every incoming and outgoing telephone call.
    In case of the existence of a recorded conversation with you under another name, we would like to expose it to the internet community to prove the opposite of the complaints made on June 30th against Gonzalez & Gonzalez to discard the fact that the post was exposed by our competitors or from the timeshare developers full of frustration by our advocacy and success on the resolution of the cases handled at Gonzalez & Gonzalez.
    Also, Gonzalez and Gonzalez has never charged such exaggerated retainer fees, we have a long list of satisfied customers who support our firm, with identifications to validate their existence and able to show their satisfaction by the success in the resolution of their cases.
    Gonzalez & Gonzalez counts with ample evidence, to show the Internet community and guarantee that there is no existence of this type of situation in our firm.
    Respectfully,
    Jose Gonzalez

• Br
    Brittany Smith Dec 16, 2013

• De
    Debycole Mar 17, 2017

I also had a horrible experience with them. I've purchased my timeshare 3 years ago, and it's been impossible to get out. I was pressured to sign a contract,
    and i was also scammed, they never did what they promised. We must do whatever it's in our hands to put finish to those thieves!!!
    I was looking for some information about this resort and all their scam tactics, and i've found these articles that have a lot of info
    about them, take a look: