Spirit Airlines / double payment / baggage charges problems!
Recently booked a flight for my wife to fly SFO to Detroit on 6/24 and return on July 17. I mistakenly thought the 24th was Monday and late Sunday evening on 6/24 realized my error. I called Spirit, listened to their "Your call is important to us" message for forty minutes and then was told the following. Because the flight was missed, the ticket charge is non refundable and I have to pay again for the return flight on July 17! I am willing to pay for my mistake but why should I have to pay again for the return flight which is several weeks away? I was told that is because it was booked as a round trip on one record. If I had booked them on separate transactions and paid for them separately then the return flight would still be good. That means she is returning from Detroit on the same plane in the same seat for which we have paid twice!
A lesser complaint is about their new baggage charge. If you pay for it on line the fee is $5 per bag per flight; at the airport you pay $10 per bag (up to two bags then it goes way up). However all attempts to prepay on line fail due "your credit card can not be accepted"; even though it is the same one used for the ticket. Other valid cards also fail. They admit to having a computer problem causing the card rejection but say you still have to pay the higher fee at the airport! I have already booked other Spirit flights to and from Detroit in September but they will be our families last on Spirit, even though they are the only non-stop available SFO-DTW; and even though my wife is partly disabled and has trouble changing planes in Denver etc. we will do it instead of flying Spirit.
Edward H. Jacobson
More Spirit Airlines Complaints & Reviews
- Spirit Airlines - lost luggage 
- Spirit Airlines - unauthorized credit card charge 
- Spirit Air - $9 fare club 
- Spirit Airlines - double billing my credit card 
- Spirit Airlines - bogus bait & switch practices! 
- Spirit Airlines - unauthorized credit card charges
- Spirit Airlines - air trip and customer service
- Spirit Airlines - flights
- Spirit Airlines - emergency cancellation
- Spirit Rescheduled But Was Cancelled - being told my flight was leaving at 1am when lga closes at midnight.