South African Airways / failure to reimburse for stolen goods

CA, United States Review updated:

My husband and I traveled on South African Airways during a recent safari trip to Africa. My husband's suitcase was stolen and items were pilfered from my suitcase during a flight from Cape Town through Johannesburg to Livingstone, Zambia. South African Airways has not honored our claims, telling us they are not liable. They suggest we should file a claim with our personal insurance company. I find their passing the buck to be reprehensible. My husband's suitacse was never recovered, yet South AFrican Airways never recompensed my husband for the problems he suffered. He had only the clothes on his back and needed to make do for the remainder of our trip, 5 days. I have contacted many different people at the airline company, but they all send polite rejection letters back to me. They have finally paid $400 but we lost nearly $2000 worth of goods. This ruined our trip, to say the least, plus we are disgusted that a company can get away with treating paying customers so poorly. I want to file a complaint and get some recompense for the items lost and for the trouble they have put me through. How do I go about doing that?

Comments

30th of Jan, 2010

My wife's suitcase was stolen (or, as SAA would prefer to call it, "lost") on a recent trip to Cape Town. SAA told us the same thing - not only would they not accept responsibility for it, they could care less about their customers. This is a reprehensible airline. I can only imagine how much baggage they're going to steal from foreign tourists during the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

• Da
      28th of Mar, 2010

I felt so strongly after my daughters presents were stolen from my moms luggae that i dedciated a site to the south african airways. I know very little about web design and keywords etc, but i regurlaly get 1000 people a month to have a look at my site, and hopefully someone will listen and book with another ailine and fly to the airports recommended by people on blogs and forums like this one. Please have a look at my website http://www.dontflysaa.com and please sign the guestbook if you have something to say. I don't edit comments. lol

• He
      31st of Mar, 2011

I flew from Cape Town to Harare in November 2010 and SAA lost my luggage. I just received a check for a measly $380 that will not closely cover the cost of all that I lost. I had claimed for $1 000 of lost luggage because my suitcase was full of good quality clothing. I am very disappointed.