South African Airways / FlySAA.com Logo

South African Airways / FlySAA.com

Having problems with South African Airways / FlySAA.com?

+27 119 781 111 (South Africa)
+1 800 722 9675 (USA and Canada)
+44 208 576 5500 (United Kingdom & Ireland)
+61 130 043 5972 (Australia)
+64 99 772 237 (New Zealand)
+43 15 871 585 (Austria)
+31 206 551 177 (Benelux)
+420 234 723 240 (Czech Republic)
+45 33 143 031 (Denmark & Nordiс Countries)
+49 692 998 0320 (Germany & Switzerland)
+351 217 618 991 (Portugal)
+86 106 502 6789 (China (Bejing)
+852 28 773277 (Hong Kong)
+62 212 907 9787 (Indonesia)
+60 321 417 456 (Malaysia)
+63 28 848 129 (Philippines)
+65 62 277 911 (Singapore)
+82 27 754 697 (South Korea)
+94 143 0707 (Sri Lanka)
+66 26 351 413 (Thailand)
+971 43 970 766 (UAE & Middle East)
+54 115 032 7850 (Argentina)
Airways Park, Johannesburg International Airport

Cote D'Ivoire
Immeuble Aniaman, Av.Lamblin RDC, Plateau, Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire
Fax: +225 20 218 533

Democratic Republic of Congo
16 Avenue, Lukusa, Immeuble Le Palmier - Gombe Kinshasa.

Egypt
Talaat Harb Street, Tahir Sq, Cairo, Egypt
Fax: +20 225 744 212

Ethiopia
Bole Road Opposite Sunshine Building, Kirkos Sub City Kebele 20, House № 506/h, P.O.Box 8449, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Fax: +251 115 534 849

Gabon
854 avenue de la republique, a cote de d’hôtel Meridien re Ndama, Libreville - Gabon
Fax: +241 726 081

Ghana
1st Floor, Millenium Heights Building, Plot 10, Airport Commercial Area, P.O. Box CT 2158, Cantonments Accra, Ghana

Kenya

Malawi
Chileka Airport, Nico House, Steward Str., Blantyre, Malawi
Fax: +265 182 0027

Mauritius
2, Gardens of Bagatelle, Bagatelle Office Park, Mauritius.

Mozambique
Namibia
Sanlam Centre, Shop 10 Ground floor (inside the mall), Corner Independence Avenue and Fidel Castro Street, P O Box 902, Windhoek, Namibia
Fax: +264 61 235 200

Republic of Congo
Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, Immeuble ex RK, BP : 4450, Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo

Senegal

Zimbabwe
28 Downie Avenue, Belgravia, Harare

1200 S. Pine Island Road, Suite 650, Plantation, FL 33324, USA

United Kingdom
5th Floor, 1 Farriers Yard, 77 Fulham Palace Road, London, W6 8JA, United Kingdom

Australia

Poland
16/4 Tamka Str., 00-349 Warsaw, Poland
Fax: +48 224 553 827

Portugal
Av. D. João II, Lote 1.16.1 – 8º andar, Edifício ES Viagens, 1990-083 Lisbon, Portugal

Russia

Japan
Akasaka Lions Building, 1-1-2 Moto Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 107-0051, Japan
Fax: +81 334 701 904

Malaysia
Level 9, Lion Office Tower, № 1, Jalan Nagasari (Off Jalan Raja Chulan), 50200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Fax: +60 321 481 357

Av. Cordoba 950, 5th Floor Office “D”, 1054, Buenos Aires – Argentina

Brazil
Rua Matias Aires, 402 - 3o andar, 01309-020  Sao Paulo/SP, Brazil

Complaints & Reviews

not refunding money double deducted from my account

had to book a flight on SAA using my voyager miles that would expire. I phoned Voyager 4 times (holding on for at least 15 min per call), just to find out that for some unknown reason my flight was cancelled every time.

Eventually after another 4 calls to Voyager my flight was booked and I received my flight details. I then realized that they made a double deduction on my credit card.

I phoned Keith and Shaun NUMEROUS times (about 10 times) to get this sorted out. Everytime they promise to return my call within 10 min with a solution. Needless to say they never returned any of my calls and have been avoiding my calls ever since.

SAA Voyager have not yet refunded me for the double deduction, despite their 30 days policy. I think it is unacceptable that I have to wait 30 days for a refund from them while they get the interest on my money.

It has been more than 30 days and they have not yet refunded my money despite promises from Keith and Shaun that the problem will be sorted out.

This is unacceptable!

neglecting taking care of my 6 year old daughter

My 6 year old daughter flew as an unaccompanied minor (UMN) from Johannesburg to London on an overnight flight with South African Airways, when she landed on the 27th of December at 6am only wearing T-Shirt, sandals and a small skirt wrapped in a airline blanket looking totally scared and freezing cold with no hand luggage, and only one case instead of three pieces, the first thing I did was give her a big hug and reassure her.
I then found then found out that she had only put one case in the hold and due to weight limits she had to take 2 pieces of hand luggage which was handed to the Ground staff along with my daughter but had been lost

I then went to sit down and find something for my daughter to wear to keep her warm from her large case, while staff tried to find out more information and by coincidence met a nice lady who had sat next to my daughter. I asked her about the flight and mentioned SAA had lost her hand luggage she told me the crew didn’t take any notice of my daughter and that she had looked after her the whole flight

We are into the third week of waiting for this to be resolved, and can not get any progress from customer services representative, we are told that this is because she has asked managers and doing all she can people and no one is getting back to her. What is the point of having customer services if no one cooperates with them?
The content of these bags other than warm clothes were included my daughters toys which she had just had for Christmas and her recent birthday

for such a young child to fly unaccompanied in the first place is a massive worry but you put your faith in the professionals who are used to this and when the whole experience turns out to be the horror story that this has been, you would think that SAA would be in a rush to put this right and escalate this to the highest level to get it resolved as quickly as possible

The whole episode is ongoing and two and a half weeks in and SAA have not even checked the security cameras of investigated the matter fully or even acknowledged that the baggage was in their position so we can push ahead and claim for our losses.

I will never use them again

baggage tampering and theft

Had the misfortune of flying with SAA to LOS from JNB (SA060 dept 20 Feb 2010).

Along with scores of other passengers, I experienced missing luggage and theft from checked luggage. The degree and scale to which my fellow passengers and myself were targeted can only lead me to conclude that your baggage handling services in JNB have been contracted to an organised crime cartel. I specify JNB because I have flown into LOS from other locations without mishap or aggravation. Further, my colleagues fly on a daily basis into LOS from other international locations without incident.

Dear SAA - kindly inform the Ringmaster in charge of your JNB Security Department circus of the failure by his clowns to fulfil their function. Its just not funny anymore.

• Di
    Disgusted South African Jun 28, 2011

I also flew SAA via Johannesburg twice ( april n June 2011) n twice my checked luggage was damaged n items pilfered but what really is frustrating is that SAA baggage services didn't bother in the least. They have yet to replace the baggage n reimburse for pilfered property. DO NOT fly SAA. Boycott this airline.

overbooked flights??!!

I do not even feel the need to write the whole story here, so i'll just copy and paste the letter i sent to them.

To Whom It May Concern:

The following letter serves to inform you of the disgraceful service received from a company who prides themselves in being South Africa’s Airline.

On 26/10/2010, after searching every mentionable airline on the internet, I booked a flight on SAA flight SA0343 departing 16 December 2010 at 14:00 from O R Tambo international arriving at Cape Town international at 16:10. I have never flown with SAA, so I thought it might be an experience, flying with this prestigious company.

I had gone to the nuisance of changing so many of my travel plans, seeing as my husband was already in Cape Town, and my children would arrive there shortly from Holland, and had to arrange someone to take me to the airport on the 16th, as I was working the morning. Upon my arrival, I went to the SAA Desk for book-in, where I was informed that my luggage was overweight. This I had expected. I was then sent to another counter, where I had to pay for the excess baggage, which I did.

Upon my return at the Book-in desk, I was informed that the flight was overbooked. OVERBOOKED!! Is it just me, or does the planes just have a certain amount of seats to sell? How is it possible to overbook a flight??? It’s absurd! Where were these people, like me, who have already booked, and paid for their tickets, supposed to sit? On the pilot’s lap? Never in my life have I heard such garbage. The thought is just beyond my understanding!

I was informed that this procedure is quite routine, which again, I cannot comprehend! How can a company, with only a limited amount of products i.e. seats on an airplane, sell more than they have in their possession? Is this how SAA makes their money? Never in the close to 30 years of me flying on domestic as well as international flights, has this ever happened! Not even on the “silly” airlines, such as MANGO or KULULA, has this ever been a problem. But this was the “excellent” service I received from South African Airways.

Not on any of my documentation or correspondence from SAA, was it stipulated that the overbooking of a flight might occur. Not even upon quick inspection of the SAA website, could I read any such notice. That possibility was not communicated to me, which may lead me to think that this might be against the law? Luckily, I am not an expert on that field.

In any event, thereafter I was put on a flight (SA 347) which would depart an hour after my planned and originally booked flight. I had to wait around the airport, during the festive season, for a secondary flight which I had to be on because somebody was not capable of doing their jobs. The other school of thought is that the overbooking of a flight is thanks a company getting greedy, and trying to cash in as much as possible, whatever the case might be.

I was not able to inform my husband, or the person dropping me off at the airport of my later departure, and subsequently my husband had the wonderful task of waiting for me in Cape Town, without any knowledge of what has happened with my flight. Eventually, I got on the second “lifesaver” flight, and this too had a delay of over twenty minutes due to a baggage problem.

I only arrived in Cape Town close to six o’clock that evening. If I had known that this was the case, I would rather have booked with another airline, one that I can place my trust in.

I can say with confidence that this was the worst traveling experience of my life. I am disappointed that this was the case, as I expected more from this company. I am not sure whether I will make use of your services again, but will most probably base that decision depending on the feedback that I am expecting from you.

• Sp
    Spooked Jan 13, 2011

you are entitiled to compensation

disgusting customer service

Myself and my 6 year old son arrived at CPT airport, wrapped bag, proceed to check in counter.With attitude...

baggage ransacked and pilfered

Baggage had been placed on belt at SAA check in at Windhoek, Namibia airport. When picked up at Dulles after change in Johannesburg, baggage had been rummaged and several valuable items were missing. Zippers on duffle bag had been opened within which was a hip pouch, which was opened, and inside that was a camera case, which was opened, and the camera removed. Fleece jacket was on other side of duffle and was missing. An incident report was sent immediately to SAA via United, as there was no representative from SAA at Dulles. The Date of Loss: October 8, 2010. Left message at SAA office to report claim by phone: October 11, 2010, 10:40 am (no return call). Filed written report as directed by United Air: October 12, 2010 (no return call). Sent certified USPS mail. Report received by SAA: October 15, 2010 at 10:16 am in Ft. Lauderdale, FLA office. NO response! Called for follow up to claim as no correspondence has been received from SAA: Nov. 3, 2010. Filed notarized claim to SAA November 15th, 2010. Still no correspondence nor communication from SAA. Now, after reading other complaints of pilferage at South African Airways I cannot imagine how anyone could fly with SAA.

• Cr
    Cratchit75 Nov 27, 2013

My carry-on was taken from me by a SAA attendant at the door to a plane in Washington en route to Johannesburg. I was not given a ticket but there was one from the previous flight from Detroit to Washington. I was apprehensive as the bag carried valuable items but was told by the attendant she would look after it personally. It was three weeks before I got the bag back and it also had been pilfered. Missing was a thousand dollar camera lens, all my expensive memory cards, sundry other items. My prescription lenses had been stepped on and broken. After 2 1/2 weeks of hounding I was told "I think we found your bag. it is in Zambia so we will have it sent to Johannesburg and go through it to see if it's yours." I asked if it had my name on it….no, it has someone else's name on it…..does it have the same luggage number as mine?…no, it has someone else's number….then why do you think it's mine? "Well it looks like yours." Is that the mentality of the people they hire? Why did they not call the owner of that bag? Apparently once a bag is found the file is closed and no remuneration is forthcoming. I had meds for a 7-week trip which I had to replace; I also had to purchase expensive batteries for my cameras and memory cards as we were going on Safari the following day. I kept in constant touch with SAA, we knew the carry-on had been taken off in Dakah when we refuelled but it would seem very little effort if any was made to get it back to Johannesburg. Were it not for nasty emails on the part of my daughter I don't think anything would have been returned. I have written many emails and they just say take it up with your home insurance. At $1, 000 deductible with raise in premiums that's not an option. I asked for a travel voucher but no one is getting back to me. I will continue to hound them until I can find some other way to get their attention. Perhaps I'll draft out a letter to every travel editor of every newspaper I can think of.

full refund and poor service

I was supposed to fly from kimberley to johanesburg on fri 10 dec on the 1455 flight african airways. then catch a connecting flight from johannessburg at 1920 for hre also on south african airways.
i checked in and was informed that the plane was 1 hr delayed i didnt really mind as i would still have enough time to catch my connecting flight. At the new boarding time 1510 i was informed that the flight was actually only leaving at 2020!!! i had to cancel my flight and now i have to spend more time and money negogiating for a refund it is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard shame on you saa you are truly money hungry greedies and you have lo

other persons clothes in my suitcase

On the 27th Of August 2009 I flew to Cape Town on the 6am flight. All was ok on the flight but the problem started when I got to Cape Town. At the baggage claim I waited for 25 minutes for my suitcase to arrive and thats when I realised that my suitcase was not coming out. Me and 5 other passengers when to the baggage claim counter to ask where our suitcases were and they told us that our suitcases had been left in Joburg. They asked us to fill in some forms and told us that the suitcases were on the way in another flight and will be delivered to our respective addresses.

I had an appointment so I left the Airport for Stellenbosch. I was staying in a hotel in Cape Town CBD so I phoned them to alert them that my suitcase would arrive later. And it did arrive while I was out. I got back and I opened the lock with my key (the lock showed no signs of tempering) to my shock I found a red mens Jacket in my stuff (I'm female) that I had never seen in my life!!Nothing of mine was missing but it was so shocking to find someones else stuff in my suitcase. I reported it to SAA in Joburg but obviously nothing was done and they didnt care!! JUST A WARNING PEOPLE, BE CAREFUL WITH SAA!!!

unavailability of website

I have been trying to make a reservation since Sunday 17 October 2010, on the www.flysaa.com website, which is "available" only to travels travelling from Mauritius.
Can SAA afford to lose business for five days?

• Fr
    Freqentflyer Oct 30, 2010

Don't fly SAA ! Your luggage will be broken into and your valuables stolen. SAA simply don't care and you will receive minimal compensation. Don't fly SAA !

full refund denied with medical grounds

My wife was due to give birth in January 2010, a week before my flight in November a complication arose that meant the baby could go into distress and need to be delivered by emergency c-section. The gynae advised strongly that I should not travel as it was likely baby would be delivered in the next 4 weeks.

Called SAA 'customer care', was told I could either rebook the flight for a fee or apply for a refund on medical grounds. To do so I would need to fax a letter from the doctor confirming the situation.

I faxed the requested documentation. Called the following day to see if it had been processed, 22 mins on hold to be told they had not received the fax. Refaxed and called back, gave up after 25 mins on hold. Called back and after 20 mins got told again, no fax received. Emailed document (which I requested to do initially) and document was received. Was then told afet a further 30 mins on hold a refund would not be granted as I was not the patient. Why send me on the wild goose chase in the first place then?!? I have spent over R200, 000 with SAA in the last 3 years and receive absolutley no consideration when I ask for something in return! I'll never use SAA again.

double charging and lying

I recently booked a flight (JHB to Durban) on SAA online. The flight was booked, confirmed and paid for a week prior to departure on my credit card. On arriving at the airport I discovered that I had left my credit card at home in Durban the week before. At the airport I was advised that without the credit card present I could not fly. I had proof of identity, copy of the credit card, copy of the online booking confirmation all present at the airport.
SAA then advised that I needed to buy a second ticket (FOR THE SAME FLIGHT) and I would be refunded the first ticket if I contacted the call centre the next day. Hence I was forced to purchase a second ticket for the same flight (another R666). I called the call centre the next day and was advised that they would only refund the airport taxes. It is now a month later, and SAA has not refunded anything. This is theft and extortion. Forcing customers to buy additional tickets, promising refunds and reneging on this amounts to criminal action. Other airlines have business rules and processes that can accommodate situations such as mine when a customer may not have a credit card present. THEY are customer centric.

daylight robbery

My son, Jonathan Rocha, is a second year student at the University of Plymouth. As part of his second year, he has to attend a compulsory course in South Africa. Subsequently, I contacted E-bookers and bought his flight with SAA for £816.46.
Jonathan was born Rocha and when I remarried; I changed his surname to my married name, Mason. About 3 years ago Jonathan decided to change his surname back to Rocha. He changed all his documentation i.e. driving licence, bank details etc to Rocha; except his passport!
When I booked his flight, I booked it in the name of Rocha. Not until we arrived at the airport and saw that his surname in his passport was Mason did it even dawn on me. An honest mistake! Even though E-bookers did ask me for the name in the passport, it did not occur to me that the name had not been changed. It was a genuine and honest mistake and I was soon to learn that this ‘mistake’ was going to cost £1, 690.96.
At the airport, check in desk sent us to SAA Customer Services. They allowed me to contact E-bookers who said they could reissue the ticket provided SAA authorise or agree to it. SAA refused. An hour and a half later we will still standing there whilst E-bookers were trying to pass the buck to SAA and SAA were passing the buck to E-bookers. Their only solution was that we had to purchase another ticket and come back another day, as under no circumstances would they change the name.
Despite the fact that we could prove that Jonathan was both Rocha and Mason and that this was an honest mistake, no one was willing to move ‘out of the box’ and help us. I explained to them that Jonathan is a student living on a student loan and that I have been unemployed on and off for the last two years and that we just didn’t have this sort of money. Jonathan had £766 left which he needed to survive at university and I had £110.
In the end, we decided the best to do was to spend our last penny to get him on this flight. Not attending this course would have meant that Jonathan would either have to change his course or do it next year ... This ticket cost £874.50. SAA refused to make a consideration despite me explaining our situation to them. They were disinterested, unhelpful, uncompromising and negative. Calling them ‘Customer Services’ is a joke. £1, 690.96 later both Jonathan and I are left penniless and SAA have pocketed this money without the slightest concern or consideration.
The following day E-bookers called me to advise that they would be willing to refund £235.47 within 7 – 10 working days and waiver the cancellation fee. Despite this being a shortfall of £580.99 I had no choice to accept this, as this was the best they could do. E-bookers advised me that they contacted SAA and explained the situation to them and asked them to make a consideration. They refused.
This is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. I agree that airlines have a duty to ensure that passengers are safe and to combat terrorism but surely discretion can still be used? This reeks of ‘money grabbing’ to me. That an airline like SAA can rob their flyers like this, and get away with it, is criminal. It seems that the innocent and harmless are treated the same as the guilty and dangerous.

• Ka
    Kaz Mason Oct 01, 2010

I thought they were reputable too from my previous experiences with them. I have always flown SAA as a South African. I have written to the Customer Care but they haven't even bothered to acknowledge my complaint let alone respond to it - common practice I understand from other complainants. At the airport SAA made it very clear that they would not refund my first ticket and, in fact, even refused to make any consideration. Their "solution" was go home or buy another ticket. Perhaps ALL airlines do this but that doesn't make it right!! It remains daylight robbery!!!

laptops and many other items are stolen on a daily basis

I had returned from Mauritius and was waiting at the turn-belt to collect my luggage and had waited for almost 45 mins for the luggage to arrive. Only to notice the baggage handlers had deliberately removed the very beautiful name tags off the suitcases. I had called to complain, but was told that Air Mauritius would handle it. I called six weeks ago and no-one called to try to replace it or anything, so when I called today, I was told that it had not been found so nothing was going to be done about it. It was around R160.00 for the item, but the buck was passed. I ordered particular food for the plain, and also was not available once on the plane. So, if something relevantly small is stolen from your suitcase or off your suitcase irrespective of the cost, they wont be doing anything about it!!!

I would highly recommend that you shrink wrap you suitcase before departure. Laptops and many other items are stolen on a daily basis...this did not quite happen 15-20+ years ago. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!! and NOT necessary.!

no response to my emails, no response to my phone calls

We had Voyager miles that needed to be redeemed by 31st March 2009. We couldn't get onto their site as we had a PIN problem Spent 2 days trying to get through to them and the call was eventually routed to SAA London. The lady sent us an email on how to reset the pin and book our miles. By the time we read the mail that evening Voyager was closed and low and behold the mail did not hold the info it was meant to. The next day was the 1st April and our 370 000 miles had expired.

Now the fun and games begin. I phoned and left messages and nobody returns your calls. Eventually I spoke to an agent who said they could help. Then I explain the whole story, and they never call you back. When I tried to call them, I'm told they are not on that shift. This happened 3 times. Then I asked for a supervisor. They are always in meetings. Eventually Lungi comes to the rescue. I needed to go to Telkom to prove that I had called Voyager on the dates I said. Eventually 3 months down the line I am told we are getting our awards issued to us.

GUESS WHAT!! I am still waiting. No response to my emails, no response to my phone calls.

beware bad service and luggage tampering

I flew on May 22 on SA67 from Zambia. I was flying business class. At the airplane entrance, senior crew member Koko Mungani, requested that my carry on bag should be checked in despite the fact that the bag was well within the allowed size limit (115cm sum of all dimensions). Unfortunately, I had to comply, and baggage handler that was standing next to her took my bag. When I got home I realized that my cologne was missing from inside the bag (from a small pocket on the side of the bag).

• Su
    Sudanx Aug 17, 2010

It makes people aware Where there is smoke there is fire Service providers cannot be on a site like this too often

• Er
    Eric beaume Aug 17, 2011

I have experienced exactly the same situation, also from Lusaka to joburg. In my case the flight attendant was a certain "kevin". I lost a digital camera which in the rush (the flight attendant was actually pressing and aggressive) I forgot to remove from the bag.

• Li
    Lianie Jun 03, 2016

Two years ago I said I will never fly with SAA again (Flew to Argentinia). Almost everything on the plane was broken and the airhostess was so ARROGANT !! I thought maybe it improved and I flew to J-Bay in November - on the flight back I booked in my stroller (infant travelling with me) with a ticket that says " Delivery at Aircraft, Remember, Dear Customer, this item will be delivered at the aircraft door or at the foot of the stairs. Please wait for it." When I got off the plane I asked the hostess where my stroller was and she said that I cannot have it and I must collect inside the airport. I explained about my ticket (no 32679) and she got more and more impatient with me. While talking to her they offloaded my stroller not even 10m from where we were standing. I said I was going to collect it and she got so arrogant and made a very big scene ! I wasn't the only mom with a baby that had to put up with her attitude ! I think its pathetic that they are not willing to help mothers with babies since I was travelling alone, had to get on a bus and drive very far to the airport. From now on I will DEFINITELY NEVER EVER travel with SAA again and I will tell all my friends and business partners about the pathetic service of SAA hostesses ! Maybe the "authority" given to them to "serve" us is too big to handle.

unprofessional service : cabin crew

I was on the flight back to the UK from JHB via South African Airways Flight: SA 236 ; Class :VY; Date 27 March @ 2020 ; Airline Ref is Y3HLZI on airbus A 340-200.

The fact that SAA advertises personal televisions screens in front of passenger's seatd over the PA when some were pointed to watch a shared screen is another issue that prompts passengers to ask questions, however this unprofessional attitude that the SAA crew members display infront on international passengers needs more attention!

These young hostesses have a beautiful uniform and all look well groomed and look really friendly and professional. There is nothing wrong with this picture depicting a professional and friendly, proudly South African company and gives me personal pride to be a part of this country!

When you hear the first, automated welcome greeting with the phrase " pls note it is an offence to interfere with the cabin crew" a warning light goes up - the phrase is probably shrugged off by most as it is normally an understood behaviour and probably just needed to be reiterated as passengers admittedly can be a nuisance, also.

This is not the case here, as the saying applies: " It takes two to tango"..

My experience on this flight was this:

I place on an isle seat and the aircon was blowing on me during the flight and another lady actually swopped seats with a gent because of this freeze. We both realized that the aircon is not going to be switched off and so I after bearing it to my limit, lit the hostess light.

I did not get attention from any hostess and the one selling duty free goods passed my seat and switched the light of. ok... I let this on slide, seeing that she was busy .

Next, I went up to the cabin crew "kitchen" and found our main service hostess eating her supper there ..I kindly asked for a blanket when she was done with her meal. She politely responded that it would not be a problem and that was the end of her duty on that request as I never received a blanket from her.

So, after some time, I lit the hostess light once again and waited..

A little while thereafter the "duty-free" hostess who was now doing stock count ( or something on a clip-board) walked moaning to my seat and switched the light off again and wanted to walk off without even looking at me.

Now, I waved her sight to me and asked politely if I could please get another blanket as the aircon was blowing cold on me .This hostess smilingly looked at me and told me she would look for me...well she must not have found a blanket as I did not get one from her or did not hear from her again the whole flight.

I now was disappointed and in this state just kept this to myself but observed these hostesses, further. Having this message in my mind.." It is an offence to interfere with the cabin crew..", I was not going to cause a scene and be an offender because the hostesses have obvious issues with doing their required tasks as a norm!

Our main server had already moaned, quite audibly, next to the kitchen ( without drawing the curtains) about a customer being full of herself, etc!

The whole trip from then on was very uncomfortable for me and I felt like the hostesses are there for fullfill their power needs over the passengers instead of doing their job.

Both hostesses would walk passed passengers and bump into them, whenever I looked up, without excusing themselves. ( No manners?!)

The one hostess dropped a piece of rubbish on a lady in front of me, realized this and walked off. The lady shook her head and removed the paper from her lap and put it to the side. The hostess then returns and searched for this dropped item but just walks off when she cannot find it on the lady. ( Cat got her tongue, or is the hostess too good to be polite and excuse herself ?)

Apart from trying to be assertive the main server was really rude and both had an angry personality on them - even when the main server served our meals she was making the guy next to me uncomfortable by serving me and forgetting him and then returning to offer him the same also. ( other sublte power plays this girl used on us I am not going to mention here and now..)

I also am a customer service rep and could not believe what I was seeing and experiencing!! Are these young people trained to be rude and unprofessional and create a cruel atmosphere on a 10 hr flight? Have they even been trained to stay friendly and have the attitude of mutual respect between customer and client (hostess and passenger in this case)? If they have been trained, send them back to training as clearly they have not grasped the concept of customer service !!

No other airline does that ! It has been nothing but a pleasure to fly KLM, Ryan Air, BMI and actually all other airlines !! Their hostess are friendly and accommodating and make you feel welcome to be on board with them!!

I must admit, I was happy to relax in the next BMI flight and vouched to avoid SAA in future!!

Never mind me, but there is still the World Cup coming up ...so if I were SAA management, I would look into getting the hostesses at a professional level!!

beware

I'll try and be brief You will think I'm kidding, but this really did all happen in one day.

OR Tambo International - Johannesburg, South Africa

Flight SA 190 - Johannesburg - Mauritius

1. My stolen baggage report (A GPS and Braai Tongs were stolen) from a month earlier had not been handled yet and I was told to come back in a week's time.

2. At the check in, I walked up to check in as there was nothing going on at one of the counters. I was told that "she is not ready". As I walked back she muttered "that's why you wait until you are told to move!". There was literally no-one in sight to tell me or anyone anything.

3. When I got to a different counter I greeted a gentleman, back-sliding on his chair who barely acknowledged my presence. While he handled my passport and credit card he spent most of the time smiling at the lady on his right and speaking to the man on his left. I understand and speak 3 African languages, so I knew that his conversation certainly wasn't work related. He was being deliberately slow.

4. There was no special assistance ready for an elderly wheel-chair bound Mauritian lady.

5. As I fell asleep on the plane the woman behind me started blaring Afrikaans dance music through a speaker so the whole cabin could hear every word and beat loudly.

6. The 1st hostess smiled and said it was fine.

7. The 2nd hostess asked that it be switched off.

8. The 1st hostess said turn it back up again, the 1st hostess will get over it.

9. The woman was part of a large "work" group going on a trip. Nashua if I'm not mistaken.

10. The group was given their first "legal" alcoholic beverage by the hostess.

11. With the promise of a tip, the hostess continued to supply liquor to the group.

12. They became increasingly intoxicated and started shouting, singing and swearing (cussing) while the music was blaring.

13. They gave a sizeable tip/bribe to the hostesses.

14. Upon arrival I saw that my zip lock had been cut off.

15. My toiletry bag was wide open inside.

16. There is no sticker on my case saying that my bag was searched.

17. SAA will be charging up to R10 000 for one way domestic trips in June/July 2010.

18. I fly more than twice a month on SAA.

failure to reimburse for stolen goods

My husband and I traveled on South African Airways during a recent safari trip to Africa. My husband's suitcase was stolen and items were pilfered from my suitcase during a flight from Cape Town through Johannesburg to Livingstone, Zambia. South African Airways has not honored our claims, telling us they are not liable. They suggest we should file a claim with our personal insurance company. I find their passing the buck to be reprehensible. My husband's suitacse was never recovered, yet South AFrican Airways never recompensed my husband for the problems he suffered. He had only the clothes on his back and needed to make do for the remainder of our trip, 5 days. I have contacted many different people at the airline company, but they all send polite rejection letters back to me. They have finally paid $400 but we lost nearly $2000 worth of goods. This ruined our trip, to say the least, plus we are disgusted that a company can get away with treating paying customers so poorly. I want to file a complaint and get some recompense for the items lost and for the trouble they have put me through. How do I go about doing that?

SAA_Baggage_Theft Jan 30, 2010

My wife's suitcase was stolen (or, as SAA would prefer to call it, "lost") on a recent trip to Cape Town. SAA told us the same thing - not only would they not accept responsibility for it, they could care less about their customers. This is a reprehensible airline. I can only imagine how much baggage they're going to steal from foreign tourists during the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

• Da
    Danie Strydom Mar 28, 2010

I felt so strongly after my daughters presents were stolen from my moms luggae that i dedciated a site to the south african airways. I know very little about web design and keywords etc, but i regurlaly get 1000 people a month to have a look at my site, and hopefully someone will listen and book with another ailine and fly to the airports recommended by people on blogs and forums like this one. Please have a look at my website http://www.dontflysaa.com and please sign the guestbook if you have something to say. I don't edit comments. lol

• He
    Hester Vivier Mar 31, 2011

I flew from Cape Town to Harare in November 2010 and SAA lost my luggage. I just received a check for a measly $380 that will not closely cover the cost of all that I lost. I had claimed for $1 000 of lost luggage because my suitcase was full of good quality clothing. I am very disappointed.

saa sucks

I booked flight tickets online for my parents. Since it was a sponsored ticket, I emailed the authentication documents together with my ID & credit card as requested when booking. When my parents arrived at the airport, they were told that the details had not been received. I tried to fax the documents to them at that late hour but due to their poor poor customer service & non-operational fax lines, it was received too late for my parents to get onto the flight. I then had to drive to the airport & paid R1060 to rebook the flight while it was entirely their fault.

rebooking and penalties

I've been charged R1626.00 rebooking and penalties for me and my two boys on 14/8/2009 for being 10 min late for our 6:40am flight???Re-scheduled flight was suppoese to leave 8:00am we only boarded 7:50. I've got all this in writing from staff @ boarding gate etc.
I feel i experienced the worst customer service and this from a senior person.
Not everybody has got funds to re-pay and I want a refund even if I need to take this to the daily dispatch paper with staff names etc.
Is there some senior person who can assist this is like my 4th mail and obviously E/London Airport does not bother to reply

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices