Sonic Drive In / carhop always asking to keep change

Sonora, TX, United States Review updated:
1.75
Is it becoming customary for Sonic Drive In carhops to ask "Do you want your change".. I have had several at this Sonic in Sonora Texas to ask.. I think that this is rude and have never in my 50 years ever had a business ask this. Most the carhops don't smile, say thank you and seem to not care if you are there or not.

Comments

Wr
  14th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am a carhop from florida, and several other carhops do ask if the customers want their change. At my sonic drive in we are tipped employees and make less than minimum wage, so we rely on getting tips. A lot of customers do not tip us. So, I guess you could say that was our way of offering to you if you want to appreciate our service. I can see if they are not polite about it, and on behalf of sonic I apologize for that.

And Jason, not to be rude but if the customer was living paycheck to paycheck they should not be eating at sonic drive in anyways.
Su
  30th of Nov, 2016
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
@wreckofthedaylove Whether or not anyone was living paycheck to paycheck they should have to right to eat anywhere they choose. They go to work everyday . Ijs
Le
  13th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
As a parent of a 16yr old working at Sonic, I have to say- these car hops are relying on TIPS for their income. They get paid LESS than $3.00 an hour. Maybe you didn't realize that they aren't paid minimum wage or above (6.55) an hour. I know that for myself, I didn't realize the car hops worked mostly for tips until my son started working there. It's frustrating for him to come home after an 8 hour shift with only 5.50 cents in tips...it's not enough to live on. Please be kind to your car hops and tip them like you would tip at any other restaurant- maybe they will be more smiling and friendly acting towards you :)

I do agree, however, that they shouldn't ASK for tips, or appear to be begging for tips. That's not right, either.
Xe
  19th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
I work for Sonic Drive-in and the reason behind it is they only make 3.15 an hour. A few pennies out of your pocket won't hurt for a tip. You owe it to them for bringing your food to you, you don't even have to get up. Another reason they ask is because a lot of customers don't want their change, they leave it as tip as explained above. So they save the time and ask ahead of time.
Kd
  23rd of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree -3 Votes
Tr
  26th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree -11 Votes
Waitresses make less than min. wage. It's a fact, whether they wait tables in a restaurant or at a cheap drive-in. Tips are always welcomed and I give tips, however, I do not like them to assume I'm giving them my change. I'm not.

As for the 80 yr old woman on a limited income, to keep a tip of $18 and change is theft by the employee, who should be fired.

Tell your 16 yr old son to work at McDonalds or Wendy's or even BK. They pay minimum wage and he doesn't get tips. Maybe he should be a checker at a store? No tips there either.

"And Jason, not to be rude but if the customer was living paycheck to paycheck they should not be eating at sonic drive in anyways"

Who died and left you with that idea? Are you saying people on limited incomes shouldn't eat out at all? A Sonic burger for $1 and water costs $1 plus tax, a lot cheaper than a package of ground beef, buns, onions and ketchup. Grow up. Some day you will be in that position and the way it's going now, you won't be able to eat at all.
An
  10th of Jun, 2009
I've noticed that too whenever I eat out at fast food places. I'm always smiling when I see someone. They don't like their job and they frown. There's a saying that my mother said to me, "When you smile, the world smiles with you. When you cry, you cry alone."
  15th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree -7 Votes
You all know what? If a Sonic employee ever had the balls to ask me for my change I would demand a manager & ask for a refund & return my order. How dare you all beg for the change...if you want tips go be a waiter/waitress @ a restaurant where you will get a tip without having to beg. The service at Sonic is crappy enough without having the added pressure from carhops to tip them too. I did work in a restaurant & you can make good money waiting tables & not have to beg for them!
Li
  7th of Jul, 2009
My room mate works at sonic, today was her first day. I can't understand how they keep any employees. In my opinion sonic is stealing from them! They get away with paying their employees ### by calling it a so called tipping restaurant. It's bull ###. How can anyone live off of that. My room mate would make more money begging for change on the corner!

Oh and for this:
"Get a better paying job...thief! Don't keep my pennies. You agreed to that wage when you started...It is not up to me to pay your bills... again, THIEF!!!"

I'm glad it so ###ing easy for you to find a job, because around here it's damn near impossible.
Po
  12th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I work at a Sonic Drive inn for 8 hour shifts for 2.50 an hour and thats because were supposed to get the rest of our earnings by tips but some people are stingy why dont they walk out in 104 degrees hot and take their own order at the register get your own condiments and your own drinks plus throw ur own trash yes thats why we get tipped so you wont have to walk in the sun and enjoy staying in your A/C car while you burn my face with all that hotness coming out of your turned on car I do work hard especially when sonic is ripping us off by making the customers pay our paychecks what a rip off sonic have you ever heard of teen labor thats why I prefer working at walmart in the A/C not having to have my feet ache or my back all day running around and plus have you ever heard of ### rash when you walk alot in heat and your but rubs that burns for days so quit while you can Sonic Sucks so please call District manager and stop slaving people and ripping them off Sonic !!!
Ma
  15th of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
That's your JOB. If you don't like the pay - OR the tips, quit. But this teenage angst is just annoying more than anything.
And people are stingy?? Because you did your job and weren't reimbursed to make up a minimum wage amount in tips? lol - go ask your parents for some allowance already!
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Okay you pompus ###, carhops make 3.13 an hour. NOT minimum wage. If you werent so lazy that you could get out of the car and go inside and order, then you wouldnt be at a business that came outside in the heat, rain, and other elements to serve you. So, think about that. Furthermore, if you are so cheap that you refuse to pay it forward, got to the grocery store and feed yourself. What if you were making 3.13 an hour...get a different job???...Get a life.
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
First of all, isn't Sonic a Drive In? How are you supposed to "go inside" & order? We don't have those kinds here if they exist. The ones we do have here, there is someone who takes the order & another person to bring it to you. I think that is what people are trying to get across. Why should we tip someone who is only walking a few feet to bring an order that didn't even take it to begin with. If we were to go to the grocery store to "feed ourselves" then no one would be going to Sonic or any other fast food place anymore & they would go out of business, then you wouldn't have your job anymore (if you work there). If you don't want people going to Sonic & paying to eat/drink there then you & everyone else will lose their jobs. Then you would have to find another one just so you can ### about how your treated there too.
Kr
  11th of Dec, 2016
@ihatecrappyservice I worked at sonic and did a lot more than carry food a few feet so you don't have to get up out your car. We had 20 stalls and 2 people bringing out orders.. That's keeping track of each order, making sure it's assembled in a timely manner, getting all the extras, usually making the drink and don't get me started on if there was a shake or any type of ice cream...all while taking the orders in a building with no air.. On my feet for 8 hours straight without even sitting down because if we actually had a break in customers we would need to clean or prep food.
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I say that if don't make min wage & are paid like a waiter(tress) & do indeed need tips then have a subtle sign somewhere that simply says "tips appreciated". Then maybe if your friendly enough when you get to the car, read off entire order to make sure its correct & don't ask how much change your supposed to give the customer back, then I would prolly tip the carhop. Yes, the Sonics here where I live actually do these things. They aren't friendly when they come to the car, don't read off the order, don't tell me the total & some actually ask ME how much change I'M supposed to give them! So, Sonic carhops, get some skills & then we will talk.
  6th of Aug, 2009
You dont like sonics? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! I doubt that they will bring your order out to your vehicle in the heat, rain, or cold...I have a batchelors and masters in business...so YOU get an education---uneducated ###!
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
HEY DUMBASS...I ###ING OWN 3 SONICS YOU STUPID ###!!! Carhops make 3.33 an hour here in Texas, and I'm quite sure you have never had a typo, Why don't you call corporate sonic headquarters in OK City and get the real deal. And as for KID...you ignorant ###, How do you get kid from someone that was born in 1968? You can ### off with your misinformation...get it right, or don't bother posting. You want the number to Ok City? its apparent that you cant even get the right information, would you like me to come there and dial it for you? Still know it all???
  6th of Aug, 2009
Good Lord jassnjett! What is your problem? What I typed is the total truth. Here where I live WE DO NOT HAVE SONICS THAT YOU CAN GO INTO & ORDER!!! I would not have typed that if it were not true. What's with all the cursing? No one else is doing that. It's a good thing your stores aren't here because I would not go to them. You own 3 Sonics? Well, good for you! I hope that you teach your employees better than they are taught here. See there? I gave my opinion to you without having to cuss at you OR call you a name. If you told me "to get an education you uneducated ###" just for your information I have a Ph.D, thank you very much. We are all on here to give our opinions & impressions of how we are treated at Sonic Restaurants. If you don't like it then maybe you can change our outlook on the business considering you own 3. Why not?
De
  10th of Aug, 2009
i work at sonic,
i am 16
& it is my first job.

yeah i could've gotten a job as a waitress & gotten tips, without having to ask, but as a high school student, who just turned 16, & has never had a job before, it was pretty difficult to find a job.

sometimes i do ask people if they want there change back, but i alwayssss do it with a smile.
& sometimes people give me $3 tips without me asking.

some people do not know that carhops get tips
& some people do.

i love working at sonic, its really fast paced, & fun.
but it all comes with a price.

at the sonic i work at, (i'm not sure if its like this everywhere) when we get busy we are expected to carry 3 orders at a time
& run back when we've deleivered the orders & after standing for about 8 - 9 hours, running doesn't feel so great on your feet.

(i'm not complaining because i've chosen to work here)

but beleive it or not its a hard job.
especially when you live in san antonio, tx and tempetures can reach up to the 100s

it may not look hard or difficult but not until you work there & actually go through what we go through, you'd understand.

i've only been working at sonic for about 3 1/2 weeks and in those weeks i've sprained my wrist, twisted my ankle, & have developed a serious heat rash. (wearing polyester & black dickies is nottt fun) but i get up an go to work everyday & put up with really rude customers, (but kept my smile & apology) & tried to satisfy them every way i could.

lately i've been working 50+ hours a week, with only one day off, but even on those days off, i get called in.

i'm not trying to get the sympathy vote, i'm really not, i love my job, my fellow employees are great.

but all i ask is to give us a break (carhoppers)
we put up with a lot for $3 an hour

cut us some slack.

(sorry if i offended any one)
just my opinion as a carhop
  10th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Wow, dezi wezi, if you worked in Ks your bosses would be breaking the law by making you work so many hours. You can't work like that here. I have only had two jobs in the last 12 years & I only get to stand & walk for the 8 hrs or more I work each day...that isn't fun, my feet hurt soo much when I finally get off of them. I also would like to tell you that I appreciate your telling your side of how it goes without cussing up a storm like jassnjett did earlier. I might actually leave the change for the carhops now, I only hope that you don't work for the guy that says he owns 3 Sonics, I would feel real sorry for you if you did.
An
  28th of Nov, 2009
KDE,
You are the most ignorant piece of bovine fecal matter I have ever come across in my life. The Hop ASKED if they wanted the change, not walked off with it. Use that foul excuse of a brain for a few seconds of your pitiful life before making accusations that make you look ridiculous.
Bo
  8th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I also work as a carhop in round rock tx. I find that it is alot easier to give the guest their bill change first, then if they want their change, let them know the amount and tell them you will get it for them. That way, if they want it you can give it to them and if not they will tell you to keep it. That way you can walk away from the guest and know that everybody is happy. I hope my advice helps y'all!

Sonic Drive-In Logo Sonic Drive-In