Smith's / staff too lazy to move shopping baskets to rack near entrance

1 Albuquerque, NM, United States Review updated:

I have been shopping at the Smiths in Albuquerque, NM on 8040 Academy Rd NE for over a year. They used to keep the basket rack near the entrance stocked with shopping baskets. Even though they still keep the rack and the sanitizer wipes near the entrance, they stopped stacking baskets where they are supposed to be. So customers have to go left to the self-check out stand to get a basket, then go in the other direction to shop towards the produce aisles. Why not have a bagger move the baskets to where they belong, for the customer's convenience, especially when some of them seem like they have nothing to do? Or the person who monitors the self check out lane when no one is using it?

I spoke to a manager about this a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't seem interested in my complaint/suggestion. And nothing has changed, which I wasn't surprised about. I often see elderly people and people who appear to have disabilities enter Smiths and then look around in confusion for a shopping basket. It's unfortunate that this store has so little regard for its customers and that the manager doesn't take action to solve such a simple problem. Every other store I've been to makes sure there are baskets near the entrance and don't make customers search around for one when entering the store.

Also, the baggers could use more training. The other day, a teenage boy was inspecting my sandwich meat and wondering out loud, What is this? None of his business! More training for the baggers, please!

On a positive note, there are three female clerks there that are really awesome.

I will be monitoring the situation there to see if there is any improvement. If not, I will start going to Albertson's, which is closed to me anyway.

Chris