Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. / cancellation fee

UT, United States Review updated:
I bought a new powerboat in April of 2007 with Sirius Radio installed from the factory. A 6-month free subscription for Sirius was given to me upon purchase. When I called to activate the system, I was asked if I would like to take an additional 6 months for the standard charge. I said yes. (I know, my mistake). At the end of the full year (6 mo free, 6 mo charged) I was contacted three times by the Sirius Sales Department asking if I wanted to re-up my subscription. Each time I said no. During the first month after the subscription ran out, I turned the radio on to see if it had been cancelled, and I listened to the music. During this time the radio was on I lost contact and I received an error message on the screen. I never received any written or phone contact from Sirius over this issue.

Now, I have been contacted by NCO Financial that my account has been turned over to them for collections. The amount is $94.52!

Upon contacting Sirius I was told that the fee included one months usage after the end of contract, plus $75.00 collection fee. I explained that I was contacted by their sales department and I told them three times that I did not want to re-up my contract. Twice, I was told by the Sirius agent that they would wave the collection fee and I would only have to pay the one month of usage.

They also told me twice that they would contact NCO and correct the amount I owed down to $15.54 for one month usage. Now after the third contact with Sirius I find out that my account is closed with Sirius and I must pay the total amount of $94.52 to NCO and then call back to Sirius again and they will refund me the $75.00.

I just don't trust Sirius to refund me the $75.00 after I pay NCO the $94.52

What you think?
Hu

Comments

Ho
  30th of Aug, 2008
I too am dealing with NCO and Sirius. What a scam. The canned answers I get from representatives from either company are used to blow smoke. I originally subscribed in 2005 for one year. The service renewed twice and as the third renewal approached I called to cancel, six weeks in advance. No correspondence for six months and then a collections letter from NCO for service for the next year.
Sirius has admitted I cancelled on February 29th. When I call Sirius I spend 9 out of 10 minutes on hold.
I no longer trust Sirius. The chance of getting that refund is slim, if you ask me.
Ca
  12th of Sep, 2008
A similar thing seems to have happened with my account. I purchased a car that had 6 months of sirius radio. I was uncertain about whether or not I wanted to continue. I contacted a sales person to discuss the options, hemmed and hawed a bit and told them I would think about it and they could send me an invoice and I would decide. In the mean time I decided to not continue the service and my radio continued accessing sirius. I received a number of statements saying if I didn't pay the bill, they would turn off my connection. This was fine with me and so I let it lapse assuming they would simply end my service. Yesterday, I received a message from NCO saying I needed to call them regarding a collection. I called them, stayed on hold for 15 minutes, was disconnected. I called again, and was told that sirius sent my account to them and I owed them 114.00 for cancellation fee. NCO told me that there was nothing they could do and if I wanted to dispute it, I should call Sirius. I called Sirius and they told me there was nothing they could do about it since it was turned over to a collection company. I was put on hold for about 15 minutes while the sirius representative did something to investigate my account I guess. I then asked to speak to a manager and was put on hold a long time...I probably waited 30 minutes and no one ever came back on the phone.
Da
  15th of Sep, 2008
I wouldn't trust them either... canceled earlier this year and am now getting NCO collection calls. What an unfriendly bunch they are! Got on the line with one of them finally and she stuck me back on hold when I was getting her my reference number. I was really wondering why a collection service was calling me so I called back after getting disconnected... after calling back and waiting again... found out it was my Sirius account. They wanted seventy something dollars... how did I plan to pay? I said I don't since I canceled Sirius and expected that I would not have to pay Sirius a thing given my account was up to date when I canceled. They said they would note that on my account... will see what that means I suppose. She was pretty short with that reply and hung up.

So I thought I would call Sirius... waited on the line with them and they have no record of my cancellation. They interestingly enough have me on record as owing $28 dollars when they finally terminated the account. A bit of a delta between what NCO is trying to collect on the alleged dept. The CS guy at Sirius apologized to me for "any inconvenience" and I wasn't sure how to answer that. That cements me never ever signing back up or recommending Sirius to anyone though.
Wp
  1st of Apr, 2012
There has to be some US law that prohibits Sirus from caneling their service. nI would be very interested on any comments aboutb forming a class action lawsuit. I feel they are in direct violation of the Rico Act. Any lawyers in our midst?

Sirius XM Radio Logo Sirius XM Radio