Shell / bad customer service

1 Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, United States

Hello-

I stopped to get gas this morning (11/22/16)at the station at 220 Franklin Ave in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ. I used my Fuel Rewards # like I've done for the past 3 or 4 months. I manually key my FR# in the terminal. I've never had a problem until this morning. I keyed my number in, hit enter and sat in my car. When the attendant gave me my receipt it didn't show my discount like all the other times. So I went inside to speak to the cashier and he told me I need to use a physical card. I've never had to use a physical card before and I got my rewards. In fact, I was there at that same station and I used my rewards without using a physical card. He doubted I had a rewards membership even after I showed him my number on my phone and how much my reward was for. He was incredibly rude and unhelpful. I have many choices when it comes to getting gas in NJ. I do not have to spend my money at Shell. But I chose to buy from Shell mainly because of the fuel rewards program. If a station participates in the this program, they should be trained on how the program works. I later found out from Fuel Rewards customer service, the program was down at this station. The cashier had lots of opportunity to make my experience better but he didn't do that. He simply told me, try again next time. He could have said let me call the rewards company and see if it's working or anything. But he did nothing. How many other customers are going to get bad customer service from this cashier if they come to redeem their rewards. This has soured my overall experience with Shell. There is way too much competition to be treated rudely. Again, if you're potentially getting customers because of your partnership with Fuel Rewards, train your attendants and cashiers on the how the program works and what to tell them if the program doesn't work. It would be nice to get a Shell gift card for gas for my troubles this morning.

Shell