Sears Rebate Center / ridiculous way to credit consumers

Sears employs a classic bait and switch with its purported "rebate" enticement for large appliances, which it runs several times per year. It offers 10% off one appliance, 20% off two appliances, and 30% off three or more appliances over $399 in value. But the incentive is nowhere near as good as it sounds because soon after you sign on the dotted line, the friendly folks at Sears disclaim any knowledge of, or connection to, your rebate. Instead, you are directed to the Sears Rebate Center, which either intentionally or incompetently mismanages the rebate process, taking no action on the rebate for at least eight weeks while Sears holds your money and earns interest on your savings.

The Sears Rebate Center employees will cheerfully inform you that "it takes 6 to 8 weeks to process your rebate application" as if that is a perfectly reasonable amount of time to log something into a computer. Then after six weeks of "processing" the application (which any mechanized system with a handful of staffers could do in a single day), Sears then takes "up to 30 days" to mail the check to you because the company inexplicably chooses to send the check via third class mail.

Nothing makes a customer feel so appreciated as when a Fortune 100 company sends rebate checks via third class mail. Rest assured, the billing statement for the full price of your appliances will be "processed" in less than two weeks and mailed via first class mail so that you will have to bear the entire brunt of the cost of these appliances for weeks before your money is returned to you. Sears should be ashamed of itself. Rebates are a ridiculous way to credit consumers for sale prices on appliances and the money should be taken off at the cash register as it is at Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowes.

T. Manganello.

A  5th of Aug, 2007 by
We have been waiting for a rebate since our purchase of a $597 gas grill from Sears on 6-15-2007. I looked up the rebate online and the tracking said it was mailed on July 17. They told me it was mailed to the wrong address and they couldn't send another check until at least August 2. They said to call back if I hadn't received it by then. I still haven't received the check so I am making a complaint since they said it was sent on the 17th of July. I am loosing faith in Sears due to their very very poor rebate processing. I had to have all sorts of info to mail in to them and prove who I was with MY CORRECT ADDRESS. So then they screw it up anyway??? Who is running the show there? Get rid of incompetent help or else there will be no people shopping with you Sears...
A  14th of Aug, 2007 by
On 05/10/07, I purchased four Appliances that was over $399 each, for a total of almost $7000, where I was supposed to get 20% back on Rebate which totals to almost $1500. I sent the rebate forms in on 5/11/07. When I went to check with the rebate center in June, they stated that they show no record of receiving it and that I need to re-send it to the Special handling dept in America, MN. I sent it certified mail return receipt. When I call the rebate center they still indicate no record. I have also emailed America Rebates with no response back. The Salesman at sears has even faxed the necessary papers and we still get negative results. I think Sears needs to investigate this Rebate Company as it appears to me that they are pocketing the big money rather than sending it to the Consumer. It is now August 2007 and still nothing positive. This is quite aggravating to say the least. If I had known that we were not going to get this 20% discount, I would have never spent so much at Sears.

Can someone give some advice on what else I can do to get my Rebate?
A  16th of Oct, 2007 by
I am absolutely livid at the Sears Rebate Center. In late August, 2007, we purchased a microwave, dishwasher and range from Sears, with the promise of a rebate that should have come to about $500. Just yesterday, we received a letter from Sears saying that our rebate was DENIED because their "records show that we returned or exchanged the merchandise", which, by the way, never happened. When I called to explain that they had apparently received some misinformation, I was told that we had probably changed our minds on the color or something like that and I had just forgotten. Excuse me? I think I would know if I exchanged the merchandise! I informed them that no return or exchange had ever taken place and asked that they call the Sears store to clear it up. I was told that they can't make outbound calls, so I asked for a Supervisor.

"Sylvia" was the worst "supervisor" I have ever dealt with. She was condescending, rude, and refused to help. She even, yet again, suggested that maybe I exchanged them and didn't remember. When I said I would like her to call the Sears store and clear the matter up on my behalf, she informed me that she is in Rebates - NOT Customer Service. When I asked who her supervisor was, she informed me that his name is Anthony and he is a Manager, but that I would not be allowed to speak with him. When I tried to ask why, she promptly hung up on me.

Sears should be ashamed of themselves for employing such ignorant, unhelpful employees. They should also add something to their training program to make sure that all of their employees know that if they deal with the customer in ANY way, they ARE in customer service, even if they don't want to acknowledge it. Right now, I am sitting here wondering if I'll ever see my money at all. They obviously have some kind of scam going where they try to falsely deny rebates and then pocket the money. I am now in the market for a new refrigerator to match the new appliances I bought (and didn't return) from Sears. Guess where I won't be buying it from?
A  24th of Oct, 2007 by
I am still waiting for my rebate check for 882 dollars as well. The rebate center received my information at the beginning of June and it is now October. I was told if I didn't receive my check after 30 days to call so a stop could be placed and a check reissued. 2 days later the check came but could not be deposited. WEEKS passed by and no change on the rebate status online. I called and raised a stink and finally an update showed on the computer. The check was mailed out on September 18th... we are now at day 36 with no check. When I spoke with Delores, one of the supervisors she told me my address could be incorrect, there could have been a storm, or the mail truck could've been in an accident. They didn't know. I laughed at her and told her that her excuses were utterly ridiculous. A check being sent from Minnesota does not take over thirty days to get to North Carolina! I can send a package overseas to a person in a war zone and they can get it in less time. I do think there are some suspicious practices going on... holding the money to gain more interest and unusual reasons for denying people their rebates. I would encourage you all to do the same thing I am...I am writing the Chicago newspapers in hopes that someone in authority will see the letter and respond. I am so livid I am ready to purchase a ban sears t-shirt and sit outside their store at the mall!!! I am writing to any venue I possibly can to warn fellow consumers. Don't waste your time with the rebate center or customer service... they are a waste of time.
N  30th of Mar, 2008 by

Process Rebate Center - Lost my money
Angela Penbrook
468 Sunset Blvd
North Carolina
Phone: 8282159947

I went online to find a homebase job, this looked good, come to find out that it was a scam. I had waited for my 5 minute E-mail, and when I didn't receive it I started to worry. I went to rip off rebates and found out that there were many other people who were also scammed by this same coompany.
A  29th of May, 2008 by
Sure wish I'd checked this website before we made our purchase! Here's a letter I sent to a senior executive six weeks ago; no response.

Mr. Mike McCarthy
Senior Vice President, Retail Operations
Sears, Roebuck and Co.
3333 Beverly Rd.
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Dear Mr. McCarthy:

I write to you because the people in your rebate program are either terminally incompetent or guilty of outright fraud.

My wife and I made an online purchase of a Sears washer/dryer combination on January 31, paying careful attention to the parameters of the rebate program then in effect and following the instructions and advice of several of your employees with whom we spoke by telephone regarding the rebate process. Now we are informed that our application is "invalid" for reasons that are untrue and ludicrous on their face (see enclosed copy of rejection notice).

Calling your rebate center is pointless, since your employees there seem to be under instructions to say "no" to every request and dismiss every appeal for rationality. To add insult to injury, when we asked to speak to a manager, we were put on hold for ten minutes or so, only to be cut off; that has happened twice, so it's no accident.

There was an exception, however: On March 4, I spoke with someone who identified herself as "Angelica." She said your rebate online system was down and we would need to mail the application form. When I expressed concern regarding the "postmark date" requirement, she said the promotion was good till June 30 and advised me to mail it in anyway. If the application should be denied, she said, we should call the rebate center and they'll "put it through themselves." I took careful notes of that conversation, but now we are unable to reach "Angelica, " much less get satisfaction from any other rebate center employee.

We are not trying to bilk Sears & Roebuck out of 300 dollars, Mr. McCarthy; we simply want what was promised to us when we made our purchase.

We will be happy to answer any questions you might have about this matter, but we expect you to take appropriate steps to ensure our satisfaction and uphold the integrity of your company."
N  22nd of Sep, 2008 by
I purchase a washing machine Friday September 19, 2008. So far I have been unable to get the rebate form processed on-line. I can't get the processing center to take my information. I wish I had read the rebate comments before I made my purchase. I would not have made my purchase there.
N  4th of Nov, 2008 by
Been waiting for $100.00 rebate on generator. Had to resubmit for a third time several weeks ago, with the paperwork correct all three times. Rebate center says something is missing. Excuses...I won't buy from Sears again with a rebate.
A  13th of Nov, 2008 by
The on-line rebate center is unable to find my rebate or its form. I have a copy of the Rebate Form (#H080004) with a start date of 11/06/08, an end date of 11/21/08, and a postmark date of 12/21/08.
It is for a $75.00 max. rebate value for free delivery on a Kenmore Top-Mount Refrigerator.
N  27th of Mar, 2009 by
On hold with the second Sears Rebate Center and then I'm off to the store to demand they pick up the refridgerator and refund all of my money! This is a complete joke. We will no longer shop at Sears or Kmart!
A  2nd of Apr, 2009 by
How did you make out Lynne? We purchased a new oven and dishwasher for a little over $3000 in Dec of 2008 under the assumption of a 15% rebate. I submitted my rebate within 10 days of the purchase and I keep checking up on the status of my rebate, but nothing has changed. Today I checked and see this status "Record does not match after 5 days of searching". This is ridiculous and I'm wondering if I should go to the store and demand someone come pick up my appliances as well. The company I work offers employees access to the GE store where we can buy appliances at reduced prices. I almost bought my appliances from there, but similar appliances at Sears where cheaper when the rebate was factored into the cost. This is a complete scam and I wonder if anyone has contacted the better business bureau about this!
N  6th of Apr, 2009 by
Matt, I am having the exact same experience. Submitted rebate request 1-16-09 after purchasing a new fridge 1-11-09 (was told to wait until after delivery, since it is a delivery charge rebate). Checked online over and over. Status was always "processing rebate request" - until today, when I got the same message you did about "record does not match". Spoke with a Sears CS rep who researched it and confirmed that the records certainly DO match and there's no reason for the rebate to be denied. Their rebates are handled by a contractor called Ohana Companies, whose toll-free number (866-433-3008) gets you nothing but eternal hold with a message asking you to call back during non-peak hours (whenever those are).

So they keep my money, collect interest on it, and force me to use valuable (i.e. BILLABLE) time on the phone trying to correct THEIR mistakes.

I didn't even make them hual away the old fridge - I recycled that through a local agency that works with the power company. I received THAT rebate in less than 3 weeks!
A  30th of Apr, 2009 by
I purchased 3 appliances to qualify for the 20% off rebate #H090029 and lo and behold, the rebate center somehow received a purchase date of 1/12/2009 despite the fact that I ordered it on 1/09/2009 and sears.com confirms that date. The rebate expires on 1/10/2009 and there is of course nothing they can do on the rebate side about the incorrect date and sears.com wont help me either so it appears I am SOL. Similar to other people on here I would have purchased elsewhere had I known the rebate wouldnt go thru for some asinine reason. Anyone who still has a chance though, I recommend calling the 866-433-3008 number as close to 8am eastern as possible, you can generally get an agent right away or within a few minutes. Anytime after that during the day the hold times are ridiculous.
N  30th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We are getting the run around from Sears over a $56 rebate on Michelin tires. They mailed our check to an old address, then waiting another 4 months to contact us and resend the check. by the time it got to us, it was expired, which we did not know until it bounced at out bank and created a $15 fee.

I e-mailed Sears customer relation who advised me to call the customer service department. I did and spent 30 minutes on the phone with an agent who could find no record of my rebate check. She conferenced me in with their rebate department but the rep there claimed his group did not handle that rebate program. Then I was disconnected.

I e-mailed customer relations again and they gave me the number of the rebate center. I have called it 3 times and gotten a busy signal each time.

When Sears goes out of business I will do the happy dance. They suck.
A  2nd of May, 2009 by
Suffice it to say that Sears intentionally and systematically offers home delivery and installation rebates that they do not honor. Isn't this a fraudulent business practice? Many roadblocks are thrown up around the rebate application process that are frustrating and humiliating. This is my 3rd experience jumping through the "on-line and telephone" hoops to try and get a resolution. My daughter is dealing with the same problems re: "free home delivery and installation" of a gas range purchased in Nov. for Thanksgiving. WHERE ARE THE LAWS PROTECTING CONSUMERS FROM THESE "BAIT AND SWITCH" GREEDY & PREDATORY PRACTICES??? Since our politicians are bought and paid for by major corporations, forget contacting them. The media scrambles for advertisings dollars and have decimated consumer fraud reporting...guess we'll all have to come together and boycott these @#$$%$#@ one day...SURE WE WILL!!! A BUNCH OF DOCILE SHEEP BEING FLEECED AND ACCEPTING IT WITHOUT EVEN A "BAAAAA!"
A  15th of May, 2009 by
I purchased a microwave, warming oven, refrigerator and dishwasher at The Great Indoors/Sears store, Irvine, CA on 9/28/08 and did receive a $65 delivery refund (after several phone calls to follow up because they said the original store receipt was too light to read, but I could read my photocopy) but not the GE Profile rebate for buying 3 GE products. I mailed the rebate form without serial numbers because they were not delivered until 11/22/08 (remodeling a new home, not moved in yet) which the form says is fine as long as you mail before the deadline. I mailed the rebate forms with serial numbers on 1/26/09. On 3/14/09 I followed up and after an hour holding and speaking to several different people, a supervisor 'Eric' said he would expedite my refund check so I would receive by 4/25/09. He said they had the serial numbers and read them off to me. Today, 5/15/09, I called the 'higher' rebate level phone # for rebates mailed before 11/08 and Sears could not even find the 3 GE appliances I purchased. After speaking to 2 people, I was transferred to the regular 'lowever level' Sears rebate line to find the rebate. Brett said he could not find any rebate and would ask the 'higher' level rebate center to investigate and they should know what the problem is within 7-10 days. He took my phone number but said to call if I don't hear anything. He said to call the 'higher' level I originally called today to follow up.
Stay tuned...this is ridiculous!
Dana, Tustin, CA
A  15th of May, 2009 by
Welcome to my world!!! Been there, done that as mentioned above. NOW, try filing a complaint with the Ca. consumers ???? located on the Attorney General's site if you think Sear's "jump through the hoops" process is bad. Their on-line form is horrific and I doubt that they have more than 3 to 5 people on staff for the whole state. Let's face it, we;re like those fish on Discovery channel that circle into a ball while the predators dart in and out feeding on the ones most accessable. A National Consumers Protection Act is needed and a special unit to enforce it. Don't hold your breath. BUT WAIT...WHAT ABOUT A CA. PROPISITON THAT WE COULD VOTE IN TO CREATE AN INDEPENDENT COMMISIION IN OUR STATE AT LEAST??? UUMMMMM!!! By the way, Google Sears and learn that Sears is really a holding company more interested in finance than consumer merchandise. You do know they sold out to KMART>>>>RIGHT??? AMERICAN CORPORATIONS ARE INHERENTLY GREEDY AND EVIL!!!
A  10th of Jun, 2009 by
I made a purchase of a mower and a bagger almost 2 months ago. I submitted online a rebate request (for %5 on purchases of Lawn and Garden equipment of $299 or more). About a week later I received an email from the Rebate Center saying that the receipt/salescheck could not be found although the information that I entered has been carefully verified several times to be correct. I called in and talked with a Rep. She asked to check back after 31 days, from the day of purchase, for the purchase receipt to be validated. So, the 31st day went by and I checked back with them. They then said I needed to fax in the rebate offer along with a copy of the receipt because the pricing on the receipt was somehow(?) messed up. And I did that. Two weeks later, just now, I called in and they said my submission does not meet the rebate requirement because the item (the bagger, first item on the purchase) was less than $299. How about the mower, which was $1435, that was purchased together with the bagger? I asked. He, Tom a Rebate Supervisor, employee #5226, said he did not see that on the system! Why other Reps saw the item [mower], but you don't? I asked. He said " don't know. Is there anything else that I can help you?". I wasted a lot of time talking with Sears Rebate Center Reps, but still don't get the rebate that they advertised for. I think this is a fraud.
A  21st of Jun, 2009 by
I purchased a washer from Sears in Hyannis, MA on 4/27/09 and applied for the $75 delivery rebate on line on 5/2. The only response in almost 2 months has been to have my email flooded with Sears ads. When I go on line to check the status I am informed that I am unqualified as they cannot find my receipt. It is clear to me this is a scam intended to maximize their profits (but while making enemies of its customers). I will never buy from Sears again. I plan to make a consumer demand under Mass. Consumer Protection Act and sue in small claims if my demand is not satisfied within 30 days.
richard Perry
A  27th of Jun, 2009 by
Yesterday I bought a new Kenmore dryer at Sears and was given the rebate form to recover the cost of delivery of the new unit ($65) and haul-away of the old ($10). When I got home I looked at the form only to discover it is not a true rebate of cash, but instead comes in the form of a store credit. I returned to the store and confirmed that was indeed the case, and that the change from cash to store credit happened about 3 weeks ago, so the beginning of June, 2009. The manager was called and I talked with him, but he said it was out of his hands. I asked to cancel the delivery and have my account credited for a full refund, but he couldn't do that either. I had to call the 800# of the delivery outfit to "cancel delivery with refund." So, Sears customers be aware: the salesperson will tell you the delivery and haul-away costs will be rebated to you, but he won't tell you the rebate will be in the form of a store credit.

Sears Brands Logo Sears Brands