Sears Home Improvement / inproper installation

1 6785 MISS ELLIE CTKalamazoo, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 269-353-7740

On Feb. 27, 2008 my wife & I had a new furnace installed in our home. I'm a truck driver & on the road alot. When I got home & saw the furnace, I was quite impressed. But then I noticed where they had broken the wood molding that surrounds the outer edge. When I asked my wife if they said anything about the molding she said no. Needless to say I was upset. I called the Sears department manager & yes I was quite blunt with him. the repairs were made. Now during the furnace installation one of the installers had to go under the house, (we have a mfg. home). At some point during that time the installer indicated to my wife that our AC was low on freon. Since it was still quite cold outside we couldn't test the AC. Now that the warmer weather has set in we decided to call a certified AC company. The technician discovered that the quick disconnect lines and the seal were damaged and that we had no freon in our system at all. To have the system fixed and the AC charged it has cost us $618.00. We've lived in this home for 12 years and have never had a problem. Even last year we ran the AC without incident. Once again I called the Sears Home improvement dept and spoke to the same manager. He indicated to me that since we went to an outside source he wasn't going to do anything about it. I said to him we can do this professionally or we could do this the legal way. He again replied he couldn't do anything or should I say won't do anything. Since when does Sears dictate to customers who they call for other home work? We own this home and who we decide to call for repairs or improvements does not require the approval of Sears Home Improvement Dept managers.
Now I'm concerned how the furnace man released the freon or did he really capture the freon ? If he just released the freon into the air he violated federal law and he endangered my wife and granddaughter.

Comments

21st of Jan, 2009

Over the summer we had a door and window installed at a cost of $4, 600. We figured the price was worth the quality and the assuredness that the job would be done right.

When the door and window were installed I was very happy with how much better it was than the old ones, but the first night we had some luck that it rained because the sliding glass door had water pouring out like a waterfall. The installer came back, tried to fill it in with caulk rather than take the door out. At our insistance he took the door out and said the problem was fixed. It rained a week later and the door was fine but the window had a leak. The installer came back and tried to blame it on our siding. More caulk.

I had an independent window and door guy come out and he thought I'd put it in myself and that it was "the worst job" he'd ever seen.

He wrote me a report and the manager tried to send over the same guy. After much debate someone new came out and it turned out that not only was the job done all wrong, but that the door had been manufactured incorrectly. It was upside down, which explained why it was so hard to open, contrary to the installer comments on it just being heavy.

Next time, for $4, 600, I'll get the whole house done by a door and window company with their own people.