Sears / central air conditioning unit installation problem

I had a new central air conditioning unit installed by Sears in my home in June of 2002. For some reason, it shut off. I was thinking maybe the condenser pan was full of water. (it happened a couple of years ago) This time however, it was 100 degrees here in Washington with a heat index of 105. I called Sears on Saturday, July 15 and was told to call back on Monday July 16 and someone would call me a let me know when a technician would be coming out. First of all, it's really unusual that you all don't have 24 hour emergency service. The water company, gas, electric and local telephone companies all have this service. Heating and air is vital for survival for some human beings like my mother who is a senior citizen, diabetic and high blood pressure among other illnesses for which she takes medication.

By 10:00 am, I had not heard anything from Sears, so I called them, the person who answered the transfered call, told me that someone would definitely be back in touch with me that day. I had to stay in a hotel, because the thermostat on my a/c unit had gone past the 90 degree mark. It was truly unbearable. I got no call on Tuesday and I called again this morning (Wednesday, July 19) only to be told the same thing. As soon as they locate a contractor technician for my area, they would call TO SET UP a time as to when they could come out. Still just waiting for someone to even call and THEN have to actually wait for them to come out, which could be another 3 days or so. I had to drive my mother to her sisters house in Maryland, so she wouldn't be in the heat. There was not enough room for me, so I stayed at a hotel and left from there to go to work. I truly know that summer is the peak season for air conditioning repairs, etc., but not even get a call back since Saturday? HAVEN'T FOUND A TECHNICIAN YET? This system cost me $9,700 and now I can't get anyone to even call me back let alone show up to help me. I still have part of the free 5 year service maintenance left, so maybe that's why. It's free.
The lady I talked with this morning told me that I could have someone else repair it and as long as they were licensed, they would reimburse me. She said she would email me a letter stating all of the criteria, and that I would received it by noon today. Well, it is now 4pm and I haven't even gotten that yet. When get they invoice from the technician that will repair my system, I am just going to fax it over and I full expect to get reimbursed, despite the fact that I was told that the estimate would have to be approved. Why would it have to be approved by a Sears technician? The lady I talked with said to make sure it isn't some far fetched figure. What it costs to get fixed, is what it costs to get fixed. How can Sears not approve something when they don't even know what is even wrong with the a/c? Even new cars, still with the paper tags on them cut off, so just because my unit is only 4 years old doesn't mean something major won't happen to it. So nothing is far fetched, as long as it's a legitamite estimate and receipt. This is really getting out of hand. I guess they haven't been without air for 5 days with the temperature in the high 90's and 100 degrees. No one should have to wait 5 days for a simple phone call.

I also fully expect to have another year added to my service maintenance, since no one has shown up. I should not have to loose a year due to your poor service.

When I start shopping around for a company to set up a service contract with, you can believe me, it won't be Sears. Now I wish I had never purchased my air conditioning unit from you. You have my money and now I get no service.

So

Comments

El
  20th of Mar, 2011

We had gone to Concordia Ks. today to go to the Sears store and it was close, we looked and could not fined a signe that the store was to be closed. There was the signe that stated the hours for everyday and for Sunday was 11am to 4pm and we was there at 12:45pm . Please help with this problem because we drove 39 miles one way. Thankyou Dennis and Ellen Wilkins