Sears / we'll never use them again

My husband and I had a truly miserable experience with Sears as well. Their prices for our new A/C system were steep compared to Lowe's and Home Depot out here in IL, but the Sears name and replacement plan prompted us to go with them. We were assured that we would be guaranteed 100% satisfaction.

Turns out that the sales rep ordered incorrect components, prompting 4 additional visits from an independent contractor hired by Sears, not Sears personnel themselves. We don't even know if these guys were licensed. Ultimately, we had to repeatedly contact the manager out here, Jay, to finally have a thermostat and its associated charges removed from our bill. Turns out we were being charged almost $500 for this thermostat, but we had no way of knowing since specific item charges and item information were blocked out our paperwork - all we knew was the general *type* of what we were getting. Numerous calls to our "project coordinator" whose job, we were told, was to ensure everything went smoothly, went unanswered.

We recently had a furnace installed with a fantastic service provider who itemized and explained everything, and could provide proof of licensing and background checks of employees.

My husband and I are pretty easy customers to deal with, overall. I will never be as naive and trusting as I was with Sears again, however, and am very thorough and detail-oriented when getting estimates, so I suppose our Sears experience was a good education, pricey "tuition" and all. Sadly, Sears' 20th-century reputation is not relevant to its 21-st century service.

Va

Comments

26th of Jul, 2008

I am in the market for a new central A/C and heating system. One of the many quotes for a new heat pump came from SearsPro that I scheduled on line. Sears contacted me very promptly and scheduled an appointment. The Sears Employee arrived two hours earlier than scheduled (ok, glad I was home). We walked out into my yard and looked at my old central unit system. He asked me the square footage of my home and what I was interested in. He then began fumbling through hundereds of loose pages of paperwork trying to find a price of a unit for me. After about 10 minutes, he found a unit that was "supposedly" what I needed. He seemed in much of a hurry. He gave me a price, then added installation costs, etc... and asked if I had any questions? I asked a couple of questions about warranty and who were the contractors that would be completing the work.

Then he asked me if I had a sheet of paper. He then scratched out an estimate of a blank sheet of paper of what a new unit will cost me with installation and the whole nine yards. He also did not wear a sears identification card as I was told he would be. Then he told me he was late for a barbacue with his kids and excused himself to leave. He left me his number if I had any further questions.

I felt that this was a very unprofessional meeting. If I'm going to be spending between 5 and 10 thousand dollars with a company, I'd like to feel that I was a little more important than a scratched out extimate on a scrap sheet of paper. I'd also like to think that I wasn't holding him up from something more important.

After reading the negative comments from other Sears customers on this web site, I think I'm going to buy a Trane system.

-Joe Bachman-