Ryanair - Stansted Airport / scam for more money - forced checked baggages

1 Portugal Review updated:

Last night (Nov 22, 2010) my girlfriend and I flew from Stansted to Porto by FR 8347. We were one of the last passengers and each carried one carry-on bag and one airport shopping bag containing perfume, chocolates and a small bottle of water. Ryanair's three employees, two men and one woman, started to rush us to put the airport shopping bags inside the carry-ons. While we were doing that, they kept talking among themselves rather amusingly suggesting that it is getting very late for the flight and the carry-on bags should be really checked in, etc (time was 18:12 then and the flight departs at 18:30). Then they rushed us more and took our boarding passes literally from our hands, and insisted that each pay 35 pounds because it is late and our carry-ons may no longer fit or be heavier, etc. We resisted but they were downright rude, forced us to pay 35 pounds each or else... Swissport is the handling agent of Ryanair at Stansted.

Our carry-ons were absolutely legal size, we brought them from Porto without any issues, and chocolates/perfume bought at the airport did not make them larger or heavier. In fact, later we saw many passengers who had entered the plane earlier with much larger carry-ons inside.

Is this another Ryanair scam for making more sales revenue by the end of the year? Rush the last guys and make them pay because there are no passengers behind to witness the scam!

Ar

Comments

13th of Mar, 2012

On 13.03 me, my wife and our child flew from Stansted to Poznan, we arrived at airport quite late - 45 min before our flight departure and because we had only hand luggage and all papers ready to go through security etc I was quite confident that we will make it to catch our flight - what a mistake that was!!! they have installed new features to scan and examine liquids etc in security search area and they do thorough search on every passenger should they have liquids, etc in their luggage, we had some liquid stuff with us for our baby and our luggage was diverted for a additional check thus we got stuck in a queue (just 3 passengers but that was enough) Having seen what was going on I started wondering if we can make it at all, trying to explain that we are about to miss our flight was like a talking to a brick of a wall, basically people in searching area didn't give a toss, finally we turned up at the gate 14 minutes before departure, the plane was still there, doors opened, ground crew walking around a plane, nevertheless ryanair employee (older lady) said that gate is closed, final check was done and she was "sorry" my wife started crying our child as well we tried to explain situation but old ryanair lady stayed adamant, after that we were turned back to departure area escorted by another ryanair employee (the plain was still there) the only thing he tried to help was question if we bought anything in duty free shops (obvious reason)and that we should proceed to ryanair sales area to fork out £220 extra for 10.35 flight to Szczecin, puzzling thing for us was that this time our luggage was fine at the scanner area (we did not touched it, did not take anything out) when we asked why this time our luggage was not searched lady at the desk could not answer it but I think we can - sluggish ryanair people do that for reason and are instructed to do so the reason is pure extra revenue, we ended up flying to Poland for £520...cheap flights to Europe with ryanair!!!

• Be
      13th of Mar, 2012

You are blaming the airline because you were late? That's rich.