Roto-Rooter / Over charged

PO Box 35228, Greensboro, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 336-274-5175

I was charged for a minor water drip in my shower. The work took about 5 minutes to change a leaky cartridge and they charged me almost $300. When I called the manager and complained, he said it was normal to double charge for the price of all parts and to add in at least one or two misc fees, along with a gas fee and taxes on all. I will tell everyone I know to stay away from Roto-Rooter because this is a totally unfair scam that they are pulling.

Comments

• Cy
      Sep 07, 2012

Today we had our bathtub and one shower "snaked" cost was $570!! He did give us a discount of $100. Total rip off. After calling several plumbing companies in our area, I found the average cost to be about $130. I do realize that estimates are subject to change and if I had contacted another company, it way have cost more then the $130 quoted. This was a straight forward job, took about one hour. He did clean up his mess though. I really find these charges to be extreme and insulting. I usually get three separate estimates for any services I need. This time, I did not. I assumed Roto Rooter was a "stand up" company that had been in business for many years and would be fair. I was sooooooo wrong. I will be contacting their manager, my friends and neighbors and add this complaint to Angie's List.

• Ro
      Sep 10, 2012

Yep, I agree. Everytime I see the Roto-Rooter van drive by, I always remember when they burned me last year. I complained loudly, but unfortunately, no satisfaction came out of my complaint. I mostly got the run around on how Roto-Rooter was a franchise that was outside the control of their corporate office. I also got beat-up pretty good by other plummers who said I was making a lot of fuss about nothing. They changed a leaky shower cartridge (in about 5 minutes) and charged me around $300. I was really upset, because I was hoping to save money on my water bill because of that slow drip. I guess the cost of the repair will pay for itself (over the next 20 years). But I now consider Roto-Rooter to be an evil company that I will FOREVER tell all of my friends and family to stay away from.