Ross Dress for Less / unfair employee practices

I was a Store Manager for a Ross store in Region 3 under Steve Reed. Ross allocates only 3% payroll to their stores and keeping them in a shoppable, well recovered manner is very challenging especially around Christmas when the stores inventory doubles from what it would normally have during March. I was put on a 90 day performance improvement plan on December 2nd with followup dates of 01/02 02/02 and 03/02. During the first 30 days little progress was made as I had to weed out the low performing associates, and the inventory levels were still high. During the 30-60 day review a lot of progress was made except for recovery standards in the clearance and ladies shoes area of the store. On the 60day review form the date of the 90 day review was changed from 03/02 to 2/28 which happens to be the end of the pay period. During the last 30 days all objectives were met and my District Manager told me that I will be coming off the PIP as I have basically did eveything asked of me. I haven't seen my boss dince 02/21 and on 03/04 he came in the store and we went to the office. I thought that he was there to tell me that everything was ok and that I had done a great job, instead he told me that I was being terminated for not making enough progress in the first 30 days.. Not a very employee friendly company to work for!

Comments

• Ga
      27th of Oct, 2009

This company continues to discriminate against its employees. They feel like they own you telling you want you can do on your days off, if you get any and calling you anytime they need you and expect you to answer. This company needs a wake up call. The courts are the only way to go. Mr /name removed/ does not do anything he covers for his VP'S and does not communicate with his stock holders. HIT THEM HARD WERE IT COUNTS, MEDIA AND COURTS.

• Wy
      11th of Jul, 2017

@Gary Farmer nothing has changed...I have working there sinc 2014 and I am on 100 percent disabilility for Bipolar disorder, anxiety, PtSD, stress and migraines...I also have two herniated discs and had a tibular fracture in my left knee in 2009 which prevents me from going to ground level squatting...by law I am not required to tell them I am disabled...but because it is Bipolar II disorder, I did tell them and I provided them with a 12 page packet from the EEOC...titled "What and EMPLOYER MUST DO for a Bipolar Employee...I just recently got my review (given to me in the fitting room, not the office so everyone walking by heard it) - I was marked off for things that are contained in my disability...I called HR and they opened a ticket...I read to them an extremely hostile note to fitting room attendants that was on the wall...all in caps, bold letters and exclamation points...stating that the morning fitting room attendant MUST SIZE ALL LINGERIE AND MENS SHOES...AND THAT IT WOULD BE ENFORCED! I informed HR tht if I complied with that then anyone could come and go as they please from the fitting room seeing I cannot see it all from lingerie...and if I am down the end to size 13 shoes...they will already be in the fitting room...not to mention we are supposed to answer the phone by the 3rd ring...also apparently in the 10 or 15 minutes we sometimes get in the fitting room for a moment to catch our breath...apparently we are not allowed that either as the memo to us WE HAD TO KEEP BUSY!!! Mentioned we should dust...if HR does anything, it may be because I am on 100 percent disability and I have ever intention of reporting them as a hostile work environment...and in my review she basically marked me off for having a disability...it is pitiful...75 percent of the employees in that store are ready to walk...

• St
      1st of Dec, 2017

@wyskiel please email me if you see this howiseefit@gmail.com

28th of Dec, 2009
    Ross Dress For Less - Corp.
    Ross Dress for less

Ross's Attorney contacted a witness in a class action suite and tried to change the witness statement before trail. 23 presidents at the corp level now! They are sucking the Company dry. Pull your socks.

28th of Dec, 2009

Stocks!

• Mi
      2nd of Jan, 2010

There stock are sinking, This is what fat cats at Corp. do! Get as much money they can from the Company then trash it.

• 10
      25th of Mar, 2010

The Ross corp needs to hire better, nicer, freindly, happy, helpful associates who will be greatful of their job and be loyal to the customers (plain and simple)

• Ki
      25th of Jul, 2010

My daughter has been working for Ross about 6 month's now in Round Rock TX on University drive, she found out she was pregnant 2 month's ago and to her managers about it she had a bout of morning sickness and was told she needed to get over it, then she had a fainting spell where she fell to the floor hitting her head did they call for EMS (which they should have done)
    she had a bump on the head and bruised elbows, now they inform her she is only working 1 day a week. now how does that pay bills. They are totally snotty people, this woman Leanne wasn't even watching what she was doing and walks up on me stepping on my feet and dumping into me and doesn't even say excuse me or anything, I used to like Ross but now I find them repulsive
    they seem to have a God complex. And I just might see what a lawyer says we have picture and so forth they need to wake up and realize they are not God.

27th of Sep, 2010

Ross in Round Rock TX, has a craziest store manager that turns life of every employee into a living hell. Newhires cant stay there a day because atmosphere that goes around. Every part time employee only get 4 to 8 hours a weak, and there is no full time available. Shame on Ross. Ross is a biggest disappointment for America!

• Lo
      18th of Apr, 2012

I started working at Ross in February and it is a living hell. The only reason I stay is because I had been looking for a job for 18 months before I got this one. I started out full time and now I'm lucky to get 8 hours a week. One week they didn't even put me on the schedule. They are constantly telling you you are not good enough and they will probably have to let you go. I am moved around constantly and can never finish anything I start and then asked why I didn't finish it. I have worked retail for 20 years and have never been treated this way. When you unload a truck they keep pushing everything down the line before you barely get started in a box. I don't know how many times the box has hit me in the face. No one is happy. The assistant manager is really nice but I know she hates her job. Everyone is always in such a rush its ridiculous. I am moving and was planning on transferring to the new store they are putting in my area but now I think I will stand outside and warn people how awful it is to work there. I honestly could go on and on but its not worth it.

7th of Nov, 2012

I was a Store Manager with Ross.Employed for nearly 8 years in the same store. I was terminated in May for an incident that happened 2 years previously. A employee had a shortage in her register twice.I told the employee she had to pay the shortage back, she paid part of it back and then quit.When the second shortage took place I tried several times to contact our Loss Prevention manager which was proper procedure, he never returned my call.
    I covered the shortage from my own paycheck.All members of management were aware of
    this incident.Two other managers were terminated along with myself.One manager still has her job because she and a disgruntled Loss prevention officer complained to the company alert line.I was not put on any corrective action just terminated. I cannot find a job
    making the same salary as I am 62.They took my standard of living away from me.I did not steal from them.I had missed only 2 days of work in all the time I worked there.

• So
      31st of May, 2013

Unfortunately I also had the experience of working at Ross Dress for Less. I started in 2003 and I was fired in 2010 for explaining a situation to another manager. During the seven years I worked there I moved from store associate to stock, cash office to supervisor and then finally assistant manager. I worked very hard and took pride in my job but at a cost to my emotional state. I was forced to work off the clock to make deadlines, I was asked to lie on different occasion to protect the company, I had to work in a stock room that wasn't safe. While taking trucks I was smashed, bruised and fell on numerous occasion but I was made to feel quality if I wanted to make a accident report. I witnessed mistreatment to other employees physically and mentally. I watched as the distract manager treat our store manager like meat. I was put in a office with the distract manager and a HR rep for hours being interrogated because our store manager didn't bow down to our DM. Ross Dress for Less is as bad as Wal-Mart. Please don't allow your children to work for a company that has no integrity. It's not worth what you loose.

• Yo
      28th of Jun, 2013

Don't work for Ross your part time you only get 25 hours a week and the store looks like ### nothing ever gets done they give you impossible tasks and everyone who shops there is low income or some foreigner

• Sh
      28th of Dec, 2013

My daughter has been working at Ross for the past 5 months part time. For the past 2 months, at least twice a week, she would get up and get ready then within 15 min of starting her shift, she would receive a call saying that she is not needed for that day. It's very frustrating especially since she has a 1 year old, whom she has to get up and get the baby ready too. Recently, she went on to pick up her pay heck and was told to come back because everyone is to busy, so she returned a couple of hours later and was told the same thing again. She tried one more time the next day and received the same answer. She oftens hears the manager grumbling about employees to other employees. Everything is so unprofessional.

• Da
      21st of Feb, 2014

• Da
      21st of Feb, 2014

25 hours a week, a company that offers more than one part time which is 30 hours are robbing people working in Ross store

• Al
      20th of Jun, 2014
    Best Best Advice +6 Votes

Sounds like business as usual here. I've been with this company for several years and it just keeps getting worse and worse. My district has even had to change some of the Code 50 policies because of integrity issues with the SPSs. Given the pattern of disingenuous and disrespectful behavior Ross displays towards its rank-and-file associates, I'm not at all surprised that internal thefts are on the rise. But it's ok, just write some more TRUE cards...that's sure to fix everything!

• Ro
      27th of Jan, 2015

I have worked for Ross for about 8 months, it started out BAD! I had a Caucasian manager blurt out derogatory terms on multiple occasions while working there. The managers sit in the office take long breaks, gossip false things about other employees, and lolly gag about for the most part of the day. I am very upset with the unprofessionalism I have experienced working with this company. Once before there was a very bad incident at the location, no police were called, no report filed, and when I called to report it to the district manager he just blew it over. I would like to see new managers and a new district manger placed at this particular location. The employees constantly make fun of and are rude to the customers. It disgusts me how this is what customer service is. I had to recently tell my store manager off; I had to call out sick, and was denied that right, although it does make mention of calling out sick 3 ahead of your schedule time. I was written up twice despite the fact I was sick and indeed followed the Ross store handbook. A lot of things that goes on at the Hyattsville, MD Ross Dress for Less store is illegal and in humane.

A very over it (ex) employee.

• Co
      29th of Jan, 2015

I have been working at Ross for about a year now. The first one I started working at was in Oklahoma. Most of the people I worked with were nice but there was one manager who always treated me like I wasn't fast enough. She accused me of slacking off many times when I was actually doing my job to the best of my ability. She raised her voice at me and treated me like a slave. She also treated all the stock room associates like slaves. In the stock room they push boxes before you even finish your box and I have been hurt several times. During the time I have processed clothes I have been hurt with many hard tags. I have bled on the job several times and when I asked for a band aid one of the stock room leaders told me they didn't have any. Anyhow, I started working at the Ross in Sacramento and the people here are WORSE. They will straight up tell you if you are not good enough. I just started working there so I am still getting to know the store since it is a bit different from the one in Oklahoma and I started processing clothes the other day. The manager walks in and says to the stock room leader: "SOOOO... Is she fast?!" And the stock room leader is quiet and says "WELLL... her store was a little DIFFERENT..." She also mentioned to her RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE that I didn't want to be in stock room anyway (I never said that). The manager then said "Well we need someone fast back here..." I felt put down. There was no positive criticism whatsoever. I also want to include that they have still not put me on the schedule and when I asked the manager when I should work next she said in a snobby tone "Well we have your number, we'll call you." I have not received any call since. I am sick of the way Ross treats their employees.

• Je
      14th of May, 2015

I worked for Ross as a second job for extra money. between the low pay, crappy hours, understaffed stores, dysfunctional management, and weird ### customers, I quit. Lasted about 3 1/2 weeks and I was like "screw this". Not worth the headache for some extra spending money. I feel bad at whoever works here as their main source of income. The store I worked at was open until 11:30 at night. A ###ing clothing store. Every other business in the shopping plaza was closed at least 2 hours a go, but yet Ross Dress For Less stayed open until 11:30... And the weirdest ###ing people would come in. Trust me, its not worth getting robbed and murdered over minimum wage.

• Ci
      28th of May, 2015

The Ross corp needs to hire better, nicer, freindly, happy, helpful associates who will be greatful of their job and be loyal to the customers .Towson, MD

8888 Waltham Woods Rd Baltimore, MD 21234
    (410) 661-7390
    Today i was that store I buy it 3 door mat's cashier looking for but can find the big shopping bag its ok for me and then I left the cash register next register on my way to door big bags hanging out I take one big bag & telling to cashier I found one then other register working she is the store manager yelled me out like an I'm a child you can't touch my bags that cash register is mine .
    already no one working full off items that store worst than a goodwill i did not trust passed either was the problem god damn only one bag I'm hoping to Ross store her big boss deal this matter asap .Date05/28/15 Time 04:57

• St
      28th of May, 2015

I have witnessed many of the same things during my employment at Ross. They treat their workers like garbage . routinely commit unfair labor practices and their security policies put people in danger. I am not now reaching out to any ross employee who has experienced any form of age discrimination . violation of pregnancy laws or any former sps who were put in unnecessary danger because their store would refuse to contact the police or kick out returning trouble makers

I can guarantee at the very least any statements provided will be turned into a local EEOC office and help build evidence that this is a serious reoccurring problem. All of us who were treated poorly by this company need to band together and try to go through the legal means to change this! Message me privately if you are interested in submitting your story.

• Ke
      25th of Oct, 2018

@stop-ross-corruption i recently was hired to work for Ross 633 may 2018. It is now almost November and my hours were severly cut due to my CPR which was only a few points under the demanded 95 or over. I was told this directly by the mod. I have been worked for six to seven hours straight without a break or lunch. The store is always obscenely busy and trashed to the point of being a serious hazard to employees and customers. i have no idea where to start but I hope I can get some help here