Renewal by Andersen / 1999 Design Flaw

Herndon, VA, United States Review updated:

I have spent the past 13 years trying to get Renewal By Andersen to
replace their defective windows. After after the first winter of 1999, it was obvious
that the windows leaked around the moving parts. It took multiple call and emails
to get them to finally recognize that this was a basic design flaw for which there was no fix. I have had taped windows for the past 13 years. Some years I had to put duct-tape in the windows.
I had also contacted Andersen Windows and also filed a complaint for which I received an Andersen Corporate Complaint Number in June, 2000!

In 2010, they offered to replace the windows with an upgraded window ans screen set along with a New Window Warranty.
Very Nice, .

Except the Local Installer, Window Place, knowing the market very well, refuses to supply pictures of the proposed exterior finish for submittal to Homeowners Association. Instead Renewal Corporate has proposed to repay my original ~7000.00 price of the install done in 1999. Except, the local installer mistakenly sent me an email indicating the price was ~13, 000.

I have just recently contacted the local installer with a potential solution, with no response. Typical of Window Place in Washington, D.C.
Do not be fooled by this bunch. They will screw you at every turn and then claim
ignorance.
BEWARE!!!

Comments

• Wi
      25th of Mar, 2012

Below has been copied from the officfial website of RBA. At best, it is misleading. At worst, it is a deliberate lie. Let me explain.
    RBA is both a manufacturer and a franchiser of privately owned franchises that sell and install their windows. As a manufacturer, they make replacement windows for their privately owned franchises as well as the thousands of Andersen (main company) retail outlets like Home Depot etc. The non franchise windows are wood with Fibrex (wood composite of vinyl and wood chips) claded to the exterior. The franchise windows are all Fibrex. RBA does not make patio doors. There is no such thing as a replacement patio door. Andersen (main company) makes the patio doors which are sold at all Andersen retail outlets as well as RBA franchises.
    The Andersen retail outlet windows are named The Woodwright. They are stronger, more attractive and cost approximately half what the franchise costs. The reason for this huge price difference is simple: the franchises have protected noncompete territories while the regular retail outlets compete with many different entities.
    I agree with your statement " they will screw you at every turn and then claim ignorance"
    STAY AWAY FROM RBA FRANCHISES

Washington, DC- MD & VA Replacement Windows

Renewal by Andersen of Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia is proud to serve the window replacement and patio door replacement needs of the Washington D.C.-Maryland - Northern Virginia area. We are the window replacement division of Andersen Windows, drawing on the Andersen tradition of over 100 years of quality, innovation and craftsmanship.

• De
      2nd of Jul, 2012

June 28, 2012
    Just wanted to give everyone an update:

RBA has sent us a "Release" form with provisions stating we are not to make any derogatory comments in returrn for which they will install the new 12 windows. Do not fall for this trickl. They are trying to change the terms of the Warranty.
    These windows exhibit a "BASIC DESIGN FLAW" for which there is no fix or repair per RBA's Technician.
    I have used duct-tape on the inside of my home for 12 years now, and even though the new windows are ordered, and sitting in a warehouse, RBA wants us to sign a "Release". Nothing in the Warranty mentions a "Release".
    Not a chance. I urge everyone to avoid this Company as they will screw the Consumer at every turn and then claim ignorance of their activity.
    They cannot be trusted with your home's windows.
    Andersen Corporation should be ashamed. Pls note that the emails from Renewal By Andersen all carry the
    AndersenCorp.com address. This emphasizes the responsibility Andersenn Corp has for its Sunsidairy, Renewal By Andersen and their shoddy business practices.

• De
      12th of Jul, 2012

PLS NOTE:

The issue I have with the Renewal By Andersen Windows is the sliding surfaces leak severly. It is most noticeable during the winter. They installed 12 Double Hung Windows in 2000.

After many years of emauils and time on our part, tyhey are porposing to buy me off with the original price of 12 windows ~$7200.00. Of course that is 2000 prices. The local francehisee accidentally included me on an email last year indicating the 2011 prices were ~11500.00. You can see that they want to get me off their back.

NOT TO HAPPEN

• Ho
      10th of Apr, 2013

If I were you I would try writing a review in Google places (google+ page) under Renewal by Andersen near Herndon, Virginia. Renewal wont tell you this but they only refer their really good customer experiences to this site... best of luck...