Reliant Energy / unauthorized billing

Reliant Energy Company
On February 2009 I received a corrected bill from Reliant Energy saying that I owe $468 for that month. This was quite a shock to me because in the past six months I had been paying an avg. of $60; and since I am single, rarely at home, don't even turn on AC or Heater often, probably 3-6hrs/day at the most, I thought this was appropriate.

Looking over my corrected bill I saw that in the previous months they had received “wrong" readings and they are now charging me in full.

ONCOR does their meter readings, so I decided to sign up on their website to see my readings. Turns out that I can (online) check my readings at 15-minute intervals. So how is it that Reliant got wrong readings in a period of 6 months? Actually it probably was more than that, but by State law they cannot charge me beyond 6 months.

Is it right that I have to assume full responsibility for their mistake, and the only way that Reliant Energy holds itself accountable is by saying that they're sorry? Now I have this $468 bill that I did not expect and am not in the best financial position to be able to pay it.

Lesson Learned: I will now be checking the meter myself, to make sure they do not “underbill" me.

A  28th of Sep, 2009 by
Same thing happened to me with Hudson Energy Services. They were apologetic and told me that Oncor representatives often just estimate your usage because they are too lazy to take real readings (I don't even have a fence or gate in the way of my meter) and when they come around to take an actual reading once every six months or so and see that the total is different than what they had been estimating (surprise!) they bill you for the difference in one huge lump sum. It does seem like an Oncor problem but it's infuriating to always get the runaround.
A  11th of Oct, 2009 by
Hudson energy services uses solicitors from Florida and other states
to sell gas and electricity to consummers in Deregulated states.
Most the time your talking to someone who dosn't even know where it comes from. Let alone about somebody that reads your meter. Call the Public Utility Commission and complain to them. Then I suggest you cancel.
A  2nd of Nov, 2010 by
I agree. They were using "central standard time" when they spoke to me, tipping me off. I immediately cancelled- the gentleman "michael" that I spoke to tried to tell me I was paying at the height of the electrical season (December apparently) 14 cents a KwH. I looked thru all my bills for two years- the highest I ever paid was 7.5 cents thru National Grid in NY. He wanted to lock me in at 7.3 cents an hour, when I currently pay in the 6 cents range. I called immediately to cancel, and they are still calling me. As soon as I cancelled, even before paperwork was sent-- I got a call back from Michael. I didn't answer, he left a message about the recording he made me go thru, how I would have to re-do it in order to send out the paperwork. Apparently, when I called to cancel, it also deleted the recording. I foresee many days on end of Hudson Energy calling me... like they didn't already, we were getting 5 calls a week before I finally answered and decided to listen. What a mistake!

Reliant Energy Logo Reliant Energy