Quest Diagnostics / unethical treatment

Sarasota, FL, United States

I went to Quest Diagnostics in Sarasota, Florida last week to have my blood drawn pursuant to my doctor's request. I made an appointment online in the morning since I was fasting. I arrived at Quest, signed in and waited until I was called. I was called and told to go to Room 3 where my blood was going to be drawn or so I thought. Once the technician came into the room she started entering my information into the computer. After a few minutes, she stopped, turned to me and asked if I knew I had a balance. I told her no I did not. She then proceeded to tell me that I needed to pay $256 in order for my blood to be drawn today. I told her I did not have $256 to pay today. She told me that if I did not pay $256 the computer would not let her go any further to enter the blood tests I needed. I told her I did not have $256 to pay right now and told me I would have to contact Quest billing to work it out. I could not believe that I was being denied due to a past due balance that I did not even know I had. I have thyroid cancer and I have had it for over 25 years. Not once in the past 25+ years have I have never been denied my blood being drawn because of a past due balance.

Di