Quest Diagnostics

overbilling uninsured

Quest Diagnostics
Illinois
questdiagnostics.com
I am pregnant and have no maternity benefits with my insurance. My doctor negotiated a lower rate to help me out. The hospital negotiates a lower rate to help me. Yet Quest claims they have no such thing and that I must pay in full unless I make under 40K per year for a family of 4! Of course my family of 4 makes more than that as most do. I wish I could simply find some help online about negotiating with these rip off artists.
This is for $1400.00 in lab work charges that I KNOW they would accept 10-20% in a negotiated rate from an insurance company. They typically negotiate that amount with my insurance for their overinflated bills on covered expenses. But they won't negotiate a single penny for an individual on their uncovered expenses (maternity benefits).
They are gouging the "little guy" so bad and I have no idea where to turn to get them to lower their obscene charges!
Does anyone have advice?
This is a nightmare with QUEST!
Complaint comments Comments (11) Complaint country United States Complaint category Health & Beauty

Comments

N  10th of Apr, 2009 by    +2 Votes
Have you considered finding a different lab? If you are in a urban/suburban area you should have some other companies to choose from. You can probably ask your OB's office for suggestions/recommendations. Good Luck!
D  15th of Aug, 2009 by    -9 Votes
Perhaps you should not have any more children if you can not afford them. You are not entittled to a handout just because you got pregnant and do not have insurance. Birth control is much cheeper, try that next time.
A  15th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I'm having the same problem! We have medical insurance but just no maternity. Unlike what ignorant crispycreamy said above, I'm not looking for a hand out, I'm asking to be charged fairly!!! Anyways, I'm getting some hefty bills from Quest on my blood work and I'm just apalled. Let me know how you resolved this situation. Thanks!
N  21st of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Same problem with both me and my husband. We had to do some blood tests and urinalysis as a requirement for adopting a child. BlueCrossBlueShield, our insurance, did not cover it, although we didn't know a that time. So Quest has sent us each bill for more than $1000 (about $2200 bot both of us). We have checked online, and other labs in our area have exactly the same standard tests for 11 times less!

They called me to setup a payment plan, but I think this is an outrageously high charge, and have requested them to come bakc with "more reasonable" charges. Anybody has had any success with a similar request? Also, I'm curious what is the worst thing that can happen if I just refuse to pay an arm and a leg for the equivalent of peanuts?
N  29th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
We have also had the same problem. I have discounted amounts with my doctor, anesthesiologist, and hospital charges, but Quest refuses to make any adjustments. I was charged 300% higher than the negotiated rate with my insurance company - by the way I am insured, but without maternity benefits. Is asking to be charged fairly for the same services asking for a handout? I think not. Perhaps the idiot crispycreamy above likes to pay 3x the amount that others are being charged for the same services simply because their insurance does not cover it.
A  5th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I am with you. I've been through the same with this company, I had to take a blood test that my insurance doesn't covered for my age, unfortunately, I didn't know that quest diagnostic will charge this amount. They asked for 400 hundred dollars, however, my insurance only will pay 53 dollars for the same test, they did that to my husband and this is what he paid.
You can see that is less than 80% of my bill. I asked for a discount and they told me that the don't do this kind of thing.
What do that means? First of all for them the individuals doesn't have any right, pretty sad. The money is the same with insurance or without it. They are abuse with the unisurance person because they can. Really, shame of them.
N  30th of Oct, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I know this is an old post but I want to reiterate that you should try another lab such as labCorp, Clincal Pathologists etc. If you do have insurance see which other labs you can use besides Quest-they are nothing but a bunch of crooks and will max out their allowable with your insurance company. Discounts should be given for a cash pay people anyway-They are getting paid UPFRONT and do not have to submit claims with insurance which takes time and requires hiring people or an outside company to take care of.
N  4th of Nov, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Quest Diagnostics is horrible. Just like several other people have posted all over the web, they will not negotiate or discount their rates for individuals. I am willing to pay them immediately if they will agree to a 20-30% discount off their "retail" pricing. Our hospital, Ob-Gyn, anesthesiologist, and even the other lab we've used (LabCorp) all offer discounts to self-pay patients. Not Quest. I will never use Quest Diagnostics again and I strongly recommend everyone else avoid them as well. 75% discounts to multi-billion-dollar insurance companies; 0% to individuals. I'm not saying what they're doing is illegal, just plain dumb and (long-term) unwise.
A  22nd of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
they do it because they can get away with it. just like so many crooked banks and corruptions. Make sure when your doctor takes a blood test that the company is not quest diagnostics and ask your doctor the prices of the company he uses.

and to the dumb second comment (crispycreme) millions of americans dont have insurance at no fault of their own. they cant find jobs due to the economy and or cant work due to their medical conditions. And no-one is asking for a handout we are asking not to be ripped off that is what this company is doing their are many other companies who offer the same services for a lot less so obviously quest is doing something wrong. And regardless of how much money people have everyone has the right to have children. Having children is an amazing gift regardless of how much it costs and if people just stopped having children because of money then society would really not be able to function! and all because some people may have a hard time affording children does not mean they should have an abortion and take their lives. I am sure those children would like to be alive being poor then not be alive at all! the problem with the world is not the poor but the ignorant selfish hateful people like yourself. Having children is what makes so many poor suffering people able to go on with their lives and you have no right to tell someone they cant have children!
N  13th of Apr, 2016 by    0 Votes
Farrah KLP B18 is the worst representative I have ever spoken to. She was rude, unhelpful and acted like she didn't care at all whether a customer came or stayed, and how they felt. She put me on hold indefinitely when I asked to speak with a Supervisor, saying hang tight. I will request for none of my labs to be with them at my doctors. Worst rep ever
A  20th of Jul, 2017 by    0 Votes
How can you trust a business (Quest Diagnostics), if it allows an established CRIMINAL woman an access to patient records or tests? That criminal is Marina Noble (former Marine Mkhitaryan, DOB 06/02/1966), an Armenian immigrant who has hardly survived deportation, and now residing in 4 Repton Circle, Apt. 4101, Watertown, MA 02472. Please remember that name MARINA NOBLE, as there is no guarantee that you will not meet that fraudster criminal (credit card hacker, scammer, shoplifter, identity THIEF) one day. There are many Marina Noble-s in the world (including in UK), but there is only ONE Marina Noble (converted from Marine Mkhitaryan) - an Armenian nationality, and who resides in Massachusetts.

From her country Armenia to the USA, Marina's biography is satiated with multiple crimes: fraud, identity theft, credit card hacking/using, shoplifting, bad wording about everybody, FALSIFYING documents (including medical records, IDs), mail fraud (randomly picking attorney names from the Internet and composing fake letters under their names and without their awareness), prostitution, libels, scandals, slanders, opening countless fake email accounts under the names of individuals she personally knows and sending vulgar and hacking, hrassing emails to others (especially married men) from those fake (impersonating) email accounts. She has stayed in the USA through IMMIGRATION FRAUD.

Marina Noble came to the USA through Edmund Muskie program (when she did not know a single English word then), violated the 212 E immigration code and stayed after the program (2001-2003) against the regulations of the J1 visa and Immigration Law. She survived deportation by randomly locating an alcoholic unemployed lost person from Craiglist.org (William Noble from West Yarmouth, MA), dating him when he was still married, breaking his family and marrying him with her pregnancy from another man (again, from the online dating sites). The child, Sophia Noble, was born way before their marriage registration. The Immigration has been very nice to her, by closing eyes to her fraud and false intent statement (in waiving the 212E rule) and therefore, we all ended up in an intricate situation when this DANGEROUS CRIMINAL works in Quest Diagnostics.

Marina Noble photographs patient records from Quest Diagnostics and embeds them in her anonymous Internet posts that she opens under various doctors' names to put those doctors in trouble (for breach of privacy, when her targeted doctors remain of those impersonating postings). Marina Noble is a SICK-In-THE-HEAD terror. She must be stopped!

Everybody: follow your citizenship duties and report to the USCIS and Homeland Security about this woman (Marina Noble), so her immigration history and files will be revisited. More likely, she will not be deported as she formed a so-called family in the USA on the ruins of others, but at least she will pay the fine ($20, 000 - $100, 000) for her false intent and for lying to the Immigration Authorities. This is how this country must thrive, by recovering its budget through fining the grand-criminals and allocating the funds for the welfare of children, seniors, and veterans..

Marina Noble is the low, petty and hooligan version of Bernie Madoff. She cannot keep a job as each time she is being kicked out for doc falsifications and fraud.. She has a wealth of criminal records and warrants. Doesn't the Quest D's CEO know this? Formerly, Marina Noble was bragging and false-misrepresenting herself as the owner of Atlantic Clinical Trials LLC (in watertown, MA) then the web-listing of that phantom company was removed by her, after her fraud was released (she would locate random names from cemeteries, or online, and open fake patient records to report to clinical trial agencies that she has performed phase-1 drug efficiency trial on those persons, who sadly would remain unaware that their names being used by that criminal woman). Marine Noble's elder daughter, Azniv Shahverdyan, has also worked shortly with Quest Diagnostics (an entire criminal family attacking on this serious business and patient records...)

Marina Noble's and her daugher Azniv Shahverdyan's pictures are attached below, together with my receipt they have published in the Internet without my consent. WIth that, they did not intent to harm me, yet with that they wanted to harm the doctor under whose name they have published their posts (impersonation, class-3 felony crime), disseminating their hooligan posts in multiple hate sites and forums.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree