Qatar Airways / foreign transaction charge

Qatar Airways
I made a booking through Qatar airways website on 16Feb09. The total amount for which I purchased the ticket was US $3325.34. This was the amount shown by the website and charged on the credit card. The credit card statement is now showing a Foreign Transaction fee of 3% on this amount. When I contacted the credit card company they said that the bill for the charge was from a foreign country and hence the charge.

The billing amount p[er the e-ticket is in USD and the Qatar Airways website did NOT mention about any other currency in which the charge was being made. Had I known this I might have not booked the tickets because none of the other airlines charge in currencies other than US $ while booking for flights originating from US when the booking is made in US.

After speaking to a Qatar airways representative on phone she agreed with me and requested me to call the bank again and explain them the charge was made in US. Hence I called them again, however they do not agree. The customer rep asket to write to Qatar Airways customer service in US.

After a long time they responded back saying that the charge made by the credit card company is correct and whether the charge is made or not depends on the credit card used. This is just not correct - getting charged foreign transaction fee for using a CC in USD when the transaction was made in US.

A  3rd of Apr, 2009 by
I have the same situation, only I used Martinair. I called the airlines several times trying to find out if they are required to disclose that the purchase transaction will be with a foreign merchant, therefore, foreign trx fees might be applied by US bank... They agreed to refund me the amount, but denied to reimburse me the 3% foreign trx fee charged by my bank because they had no way of knowing that my bank charges those. Then I called bank, and they said that they will NOT reverse the fee even though tickets have been cancelled. I am so pissed off. It looks like there is no justice. Did anyone have a similar situation? How to get rid of those fees? Who's responsible for paying them? Definitely, not me...
A  30th of Apr, 2009 by
I am in the same situation. I am also charged 3% charges towards foreign transaction fee by Citi Bank for booking ticket with Qatar airlines

Qatar Airways Logo Qatar Airways