Portfolio Recovery Associates / Harrassed me at home & at job - Rude & Liars - Refused to answer questions - Please join me in an effort to get this company investigated

1 120 Corporate BlvdNorfolk, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-772-7326

If you are reading this, then you probably have had an encounter with someone from Portfolio Recovery and you are feeling angry, insulted, humiliated, demeaned and frustrated.

This company’s bad business practices must be stopped. If those of us who have been abused by this company fail to speak up then no one with the authority to stop this company is ever going to pay attention or seek to investigate because we sit by and are quiet.

I am writing to say to everyone that we MUST take the time to record statements against this company here on this site, and also on as many Internet sites or blogs or discussion groups as we can each find.

You don’t have to write a long statement when you post – but you need to at least document in several different places on the Internet that you had a negative experience.

Even if your encounter was several years ago, but you still carry the emotion inside yourself from how the encounter makes you feel years later – then you too need to take the time to record your complaint.

If enough of us will stand up and begin to document on this company, then eventually some responsible entity is going to realize that this company is out of control and needs to be stopped.

My hope is that some local or national television news program which is searching for an investigative piece will choose to expose this company – but that can only happen if we will each take the time to write our experiences down and post on the Internet so that the negative PR against this company can no longer be ignored.

If you are just beginning to enter a situation with this company then you should know that everything you read on this site and other complaint sites regarding this company is true. You cannot believe anything they tell you because they lie, lie, lie! And they will harass you at home and on your job, plus they will do all the things that we are told as consumers that collection agencies cannot do. They will ignore you when you ask them questions or refuse to listen when you notify them in writing to no longer call you on your job. They will disclose your personal business on voice mail messages where others can hear what is being said. They will literally yell at you on the telephone when they call. They will say horrible things to you and accuse of things when you cannot pay.

These are heartless people who will say anything and do anything they can to get money. They are rude and will not hesitate to attack you verbally when talking to you. They are giving collection agencies a very bad name. They will make arrangements and then change their mind without any notice.

Their so-called litigation department is a disgrace and if they really are lawyers (which I don’t believe most of them are) – then they should be disbarred for inappropriate and unprofessional actions. They will try to come after you about debt even after you consult a lawyer who says they are too late. They will report false debt to your credit reports. They will issue judgments against you with increased dollar amounts beyond the debt amount. I’ve not experienced all of these things personally but I know people who are dealing and coping just as I am with these crazy people.

This company needs to be shut down and their employees need to be hit hard by our national Internet campaign to warn others about them and to speak up about how they behave.

Most of us who have dealt with any other collection agencies know that this particular company is the very worst of the bad ones.

Please join me in an effort to get this company exposed for how they operate. EVERY time they call you and harass you, post a complaint somewhere on the Internet – EVERY time! Don’t let them continue to do this to you or to anyone else.

Writing to the Better Business Bureau does no good because they will just turn it all around in their rebuttal – so that’s a waste of time. Instead we need to publicly humiliate them in the same way they do us each time they make contact.

If you are willing, send a letter to the Attorney General for your state telling them about your bad experience with this company.

Stop the madness. Let’s all work together to put in writing enough documentation that will enable a state or national agency to finally put these guys out of business!!! Please share the link to this site so others can learn of my call to action against this company.

Comments

• Bo
      28th of Apr, 2009

Their tactics are strong, but i was treated fairly. When you let a debt go, fees and charges build..interest, etc. Credit cards will continue to place over limit fees and late fees way long after you decide to stop paying. I paid mine off this month finally. people need to act like adults and not think they can walk away from incurred debt.

• Lo
      11th of Jun, 2009

I got an automated call from them today, but I'm not calling them back because I don't have any debts to collect. There was another debt collection agency that tried to reach me, but I knew they were full of BS. Eventually they stopped calling, and so will this outfit.

I'm going to end my landline phone service very soon, largely so I don't have to take calls from these fraudsters anymore.

9th of Sep, 2009

I just got fired from IGS, a sister company of PRA, if anyone would like a full disclosure of the practices they encourage, please, feel free to email me. marybertling@yahoo.com

• Bi
      6th of Oct, 2009

PRA is trying to collect a debt they have "associated" with my name and a partially correct SS#.This debt is from 1998 and I have no knowledge of it and it really looks like a scam or some form of identity theft- scarey! The account exec. I spoke with the 1rst time, agreed with me that this was fishy and said that it looked like they were contacting the wrong person(me), now another person is calling me and is rude, refuses to listen to my statements and is insinuating I am a liar and incurred this debt and am using two SS#'s!...I am furious and want to pursue this company with the FTC and the Attorney General. Also, I had a bankruptcy in 2001 that was discharged and all my outstanding debts were included. I'm totally going to report these people over and over as long as this goes on, and I'm wondering if this has been anyone elses experience?

• Wi
      10th of Nov, 2009

Yes, absolutely! Call your attorney general to make a complaint so this company will have to follow the law.Find your state statutes here:

Find your state attorney general here:

Your attorney general can make them stop illegally abusing not only YOU, but others like you: elderly people they like to intimidate, single mothers, veterans, anyone. Even when you owe a debt, there are laws they have to follow, and this company does not follow them. Report abuses to your attorney general!!!

The company is currently being investuigated by the Minnesota Attorney General:

Hopefully, my attorney general will be investigating them soon, too.

• Fu
      30th of Jul, 2010

They refuse to send me the debt they say I owe from 1995 through the mail. They call morning, noon, night, and weekends. They do not verify who they are. The only reason I know the company name is because I looked up the phone number that showed up on my caller ID. They threaten jail time and in order to fish for information, they lie and say my wife said things she absolutely did not. I sent them a letter to cease the phone calls, to the address on their website (because rep refused to give it to me over the phone) but they continue to constantly call anyway.

These guys are nothing but thugs and leaches. I contacted the FTC and now I'm contacting my state attorney general. I am also writing my senators a letter and calling the DC switch boards to leave a message regarding this harassment. I will get a lawyer next if nothing is resolved.

• Ez
      18th of Dec, 2010

I too have experienced the wrath of Portfolio Recovery and I'm not going to put up with it. They are calling my place of business which they aren't allowed to do once you ask them not to call your business or your workplace according to the Fair Credit Act. This business has called several times a day according to my caller id. Now they are calling under a fake name "Sunrocket Did". I happened to be between clients and answered the phone. This man on the other line just started interrogating me without identifying himself. He then said he was calling my Capitol ONE card account. I told him I didn't have an account and he insisted that I did. I told him I had one over 10 years ago and it was paid off. He said it wasn't and just because it was 10 years ago didn't mean I didn't have to pay it. I went around and around with him and then told him again it was my place of business I don't have a Capitol One account and told him never to call my business again. He was angry and wanted my home number. I told him there was no reason to give him my home number as I didn't have any reason to. I ended by hanging up on him because he continued to insist I give him my home info. These people are relentless. I'm anticipating him calling back especially from the other complaints I've read. I'm going to report them to the attorney general. Good luck everyone.

• Ar
      9th of Aug, 2012

I have a tracfone that apparently belonged to another person that Portfolio has been trying to reach AT MY NUMBER FOR MONTHS! They call at all hours, disrupting my sleep, using various numbers so I never know who is calling me. I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST and reported several of their calls & numbers there, but I got woke up from a sound sleep again early this morning, so I called them back and yelled at them to stop calling me!!! They ask for some man's name I don't even know! (I'm a woman who definitely has a female voice!) I have to turn off my phone often because the calls are so frequent and disruptive, causing me to miss important calls! I have a lot of serious health issues, I really don't need this aggravation. I need my phone--but at this point I feel like throwing it in the damn river!

• Ft
      13th of Feb, 2013

For those who are constantly being harassed, send a cease and desist letter. If they continue after telling them and sending the letter, then contact a consumer attorney for the state that you live in. Other than that, try to make payment arrangements with them and honor it. Stick with the payment arrangements. If they do change the payment arrangements and try to sue, you hire a consumer attorney and countersue. This company has been ripping off consumers for years and it is worse since the economy is bad. If you do not stand up for your rights, then they will go away and these companies will continue to get away with their scams!