Planet Fitness / broken air conditioning

1 Delmar, NY, United States

I have been a member of Planet fitness for 3 years. I have switched from one location to another. I started out in the Springfield MA location, then Enfield CT, and now Delmar. I would never say they are a top of the line gym, but it is clean enough and quiet enough for the money they charge. If I was paying more than $20 a month I could see complaining about old machinery or lack of variety, ect. The fact of the matter is that you are getting what you pay for: a small gym with the basics.
When I started going to the albany location, i was pleased. It was quiet, clean, and everyone seemed nice enough. The warm weather has recently set in. I kept mentioning to my friend how hot it seemed in the gym. At first I dismissed it and assumed it was a natural reaction to working out. But I noticed the thermostat in the gym one day. I snuck over and read it. The thermostat said it was 78 degrees in the gym. I dismissed it and thought, well maybe they aren't ready to turn the AC on yet. I then decided to go tanning, something I don't normally do, but I thought since I had a wedding coming up, it might be nice to get a little color. I got in, lied down and after 5 minutes it got so hot in the room i almost passed out. I ran out and ran to my car.

I went back the next day to discuss the issue. They told me that the AC was broken and that they were not sure when it would be fixed. I told everyone I knew about this. They too started to complain seperatly. The gym told us all the same thing. They told us we could go to any of the other planet fitnesses if we wanted, since they all have working AC. My friend made the point that she was not about to drive an extra 30 minutes to work out because the gym was unwilling to fix a fundamental problem with their service. They told her "sorry our hands are tied."

We are now looking for a way to either quit without being charged or some how make them more apologetic about the issue.

Jh