Planet Fitness / avoid them like a plague

United States Review updated:

Much like others, Planet Fitness duped me into there membership and then started charging my card randomly. In a 5 week period I was charged $30 for a start up fee (I agreed to that), 2 monthly charges, and today charged for a "yearly" fee. When I signed up, I was told the $30 start up fee would cover me for 1 year. Also, shouldn't a yearly fee be charged after a year? I was told at the local Planet Fitness there was nothing I could do about it and if I dropped my membership I would be out the $80 I had already paid for 1 MONTH of membership. Beyond that, it’s impossible to get a hold of the corporate level to talk to anyone. To make it worse, when I walked into the gym they were running a special for $1 sign up. After asking about that, the front desk just answered "bad timing on your part." Thanks...

Ku

Comments

• Iv
      28th of May, 2011

If you cancel your membership with PF before one year is up, you will be charged a fee.
    I was a member of PF for 2 years.
    I cancelled my membership with a certified letter and was not charged any additional fees.
    I find PF is very affordable, only 10-20 dollars per month ( 120-240 dollars annually) and a one time annual fee of 29 -39$.
    I never paid more than 250$ annually at PF, just as a comparison I was a member of Crunch Fitness and paid 80 dollars PER MONTH for my membership!
    My problem with PF is the staff is unprofessional and the other members possess poor gym etiquette both of which are a distraction.