Petsmart` / lack of concern!

United States Review updated:
My dog was boarded at Brea, CA PetsMart for a couple days while I went away with my husband for his birthday. Second day we were gone we received a call about our dog. He was injured during play time, and it was not an emergency.
When we went to get him, he could not walk on his hind right leg, the vet says he has torn is meniscus and possibly has a hip fracture. My dog is a pure bred Golden Retriever and is in pain all the time. He has to go to a doggie orthopedist for surgery. Petsmart says that they are not liable for my dogs injuries and it was just an "accident". Fair enough accidents happens but it was on their property and 2 other dogs helped to cause the accident.

My 15 month old dog will never walk properly again and will probably never be able to go to the dog park or play like a golden should. I will sue them if need be, they need to do the right thing and cover my pets medical expenses completely.

Comments

Sc
  30th of Dec, 2007
Did you sign a contract with them? Does it say they are responsible for accidents and/or liable for the pet's injuries? Do you have a list of what they are responsible for?

If you did sign a contract and it states that they aren't responsible it will be hard to do anything.

If the above doesn't apply, you may need to talk to the store manager/owner and/or their corporate head office to see if they will pay for the medical expenses.

Pablo
Je
  13th of Jul, 2008
Have you had any other problems with PetsMart? We have just paid close to 3k taking care of our Chow mix for an ACL incident. Our dog Sandee walked in on four and could not walk out on all four upon picking up from the Groomer at PetsMart. Our dog is close to 13 years old and did not race around like a puppy any more due to arthritis in one hip. However, she could go up and down the stairs several times a day and play catch and keep away, walk to the park and several blocks around the neighborhood. The corporate office in Portland stated she had a pre-existing condition. How does an ACL tear relate to hip.

Tell me more about your out come since Dec '07, as it is now July '08.
Sa
  8th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Petsmart groomers suck. Brought my maltese and yorkie and paid $112.00, which was supposed to include the "extras" they promise you for $16.oo. When I picked them up my maltese looked the same, just smelled a little better and his face was clipped. However, he was barely cut (and I requested the puppy cut) and what was cut was all choppy; his butt was not shaved, the hair was not removed from inbetween his paws or his ears. The extra we paid for should have included a scarf, pumpkin scent cologne and a goody bag with greenies and coupons. Upon picking them up, none of this was done and they failed to give me the goody bag until I requested it. When I got home I called the manager, and his lack of concern just floored me. Petsmart supposedly prides themselves on putting pets first and he just brushed it off telling me that it was all just an oversight by not giving me the bag and stuff, and as far as my maltese getting a "puppy cut" - there is no such thing (as if; he gets it done at the vets office). How can they get away with, first of all, charging you more than enough to groom, then adding $16.00 for things they don't even do! It was against my better judgement to bring them there in the first place, but their groomer at the vets office was overbooked and they desperately needed to be groomed. I'll say this, never, ever, never again will I bring my babies there. Take my advice... if you are considering going there for grooming, don't. You will be sorry! This all happened at the Covington, LA. store (FYI). I am still so angry with all of this and I will not let it go until I contact someone at the corporate office.
Lo
  23rd of Apr, 2012
I will not shop at Petsmart in Covington as well. Not with groomers, but with the manager, who as previously mentioned, not only could care less but has an attitude when a customer verbalizes a concern/complaint. I asked if the canaries for sale were bred locally. No one could/would give me an answer. Also when I checked out, I was double charged for several items. Upon bringing the receipt to managers attention he proceeded to "quiz" me like I had done something wrong for questioning the total. I had bought over $200.00 worth of merchandise; but with his manner, I simply returned every last thing I has bought. And will never go there again despite I live less than 2mles from it. The drive elsewhere is worth it.

PetSmart Logo PetSmart